Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkside Building

Default Re: SandRidge Amenities Building

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Sources that I have close to the situation state the new tower by Sandridge will be 20 stories. But won't break ground until 2014.
    I'm not questioning you or your sources, it's just that I have sources too, and I'm just not sure it's a done deal. I love the Amenities Bldg and the Braniff projects, so I hope people don't think I'm still sour about SR, but there was a reason I had my reservations - I'm just not sure they're on the kind of solid footing to be building skyscrapers. Just yesterday it seems Riata Energy moved here from Amarillo with like 60 employees.

My gut on SR is such that I don't doubt they're capable of pulling off some pretty cool smaller projects, but when it comes to larger projects, I'll believe it when I see it break ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'm not questioning you or your sources, it's just that I have sources too, and I'm just not sure it's a done deal. I love the Amenities Bldg and the Braniff projects, so I hope people don't think I'm still sour about SR, but there was a reason I had my reservations - I'm just not sure they're on the kind of solid footing to be building skyscrapers. Just yesterday it seems Riata Energy moved here from Amarillo with like 60 employees.

My gut on SR is such that I don't doubt they're capable of pulling off some pretty cool smaller projects, but when it comes to larger projects, I'll believe it when I see it break ground.
    It's not a done deal simply because it's so far off. The Amenities building likely won't be finished til 2014 and they wouldn't start anything else until that's done. Though, Spartan, I think you are underestimating what's happening there. Word is they are to almost 900 employees there in the tower. They are bursting at the seams.

It doesn't bother me that you're skeptical on the Broadway building, they haven't even released any plans so it's all speculation until then. I think what they have proven is that they follow through with what they announce publicly.

I can't disagree with any of that.

4. Default Re: SandRidge Amenities Building

From what I know, Grace is pretty much on target.

I took a photo of the demolition area where the garage was/amenities building will be and posted it here: http://360.io/kmnWum

Thanks Casey!

Wow, that is quite a crater, especially with Kerr Park completely gone as well.

Can't wait to see the new building and park start to come to life.

This will be fantastic...huge upgrade for downtown!

Ok, here is (from what I was told) where they hit the gas line that caused the evacuation of City Place today. The guys in the bottom left of the picture.

upload images

Close up of the area. These were taken after the all clear and we were allowed back in the building.

image host

Thanks for the photo.

That old 70's-style fountain in the foreground is very sad looking. Really looking forward to watching this entire section of downtown be built back.

It's amazing how Kerr Park used to be such a jewel when it first opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's amazing how Kerr Park used to be such a jewel when it first opened.

With open space comes the cost to maintain it, and there never seems to be enough money for maintenance.

I never thought that park was a Jewel at all.

When I worked downtown in the 80's, I went there ONCE. It was for a lunchtime concert and after about 10 minutes of sitting on hot concrete I never went back.

I never saw many people there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I never thought that park was a Jewel at all.

When I worked downtown in the 80's, I went there ONCE. It was for a lunchtime concert and after about 10 minutes of sitting on hot concrete I never went back.

I never saw many people there.
    That's odd. When I worked downtown in the mid-to-late 80s, I regularly went there for the lunchtime concerts and there was always a good bunch of people out there.

I was only a kid, but my mom worked at Kerr McGee in the early 80s and I remember Kerr Park and the Conncourse packed and full of life.

What's left of Kerr Park:

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I was only a kid, but my mom worked at Kerr McGee in the early 80s and I remember Kerr Park and the Conncourse packed and full of life.
    I think it's important to remember that back during the "dark age" of OKC, there were still people here who strove for normalcy - we had things here, certain amenities, they just weren't very nice. People may have not even known how decrepit and second-rate we were in terms of things like downtown parks, etc.... I have a coffee table book with Kerr Park on the cover of it, just to give you an example.

It reminds me of the chamber recruitment video touring downtown in the 70s that they showed at the OKCMOA recently. With the actors stopping in front of the Veolia water cooling facility, "What I like most about it is how handsome it is!" (the entire theater burst into laughter, as everyone today recognizes it as EKG's worst eyesore, which is saying a lot)

Spartan not sure what point you are trying to make, before the bust, DT OKC was booming and full of life (were you alive during much of the 80's?). Amenities now aren't what amenities were back then, and tastes change. Your post doesn't change the fact of my post in that when I was a kid in the early 80's Kerr Park and Conncourse were full of life. I remember getting toys at shops in the Conncourse and the FAO Schwarz. Not sure if a kid can even buy a toy downtown NOW.

I really liked Kerr Park. Sure it needed to be updated and maintained but all parks need to be. It reminded me of the great parks in Portland, OR.

I don't agree with the Sandridge development, but I am glad they tour down that nasty parking garage and are building the amenities building. That building will be first class.

The park on the other hand will be a cluster! The design continues the rows of cedar trees and loses 80% of the usable space with their "prairie wind blocks". They could not have gotten a more out of touch with Oklahoma landscape architect.

I never liked Kerr Park even when I worked downtown during the booming early 80's but one thing is for sure: it has been pretty dead and outdated for quite a while.

The biggest change is that that massive solid concrete wall of the old Globe Life building will no longer be looming over it. Now, there will be an interesting glass building with all types of balconies and life, including at least one restaurant that opens into the park with outdoor seating.

And don't forget Couch Park was really just a closed off street with some monuments.

I think all the green will be an improvement although I do worry a bit about the broader park design.

Blog Entries

The truth is that Sandridge is taking what for decades has been a DEAD area in downtown and is making it a fresh new area. It will be much improved, including the park.

Spartan not sure what point you are trying to make, before the bust, DT OKC was booming and full of life (were you alive during much of the 80's?). Amenities now aren't what amenities were back then, and tastes change. Your post doesn't change the fact of my post in that when I was a kid in the early 80's Kerr Park and Conncourse were full of life. I remember getting toys at shops in the Conncourse and the FAO Schwarz. Not sure if a kid can even buy a toy downtown NOW.
    Huh?

22. Default Re: SandRidge Amenities Building

...Not sure if a kid can even buy a toy downtown NOW.
    Well, it's not FAO Schwartz, but there is a booth of retro and classic toys inside Oklahoma's Red Dirt Emporium & Marketplace on the canal.

Also, I think that FAO Schwartz was open barely a year.

The best thing about downtown in the late 70's and early 80's was the FNC arcade, which not only featured BC Clark, but also Harold's, Orbach's, a nice gift store and a bunch of other retailers. It's sad to see it now but hopefully new owners will help bring it back.

FNC's arcade has four empty sites, one with great street access on Park. It would be nice to have some more retail in there, and a facelift on the common areas will go a long way.

I didn't live here when Kerr Park was in its heyday, but I'm looking forward to having the area completed, even if the design may not be the highest and best use of the location. I can see the corner from my office, and it's closer than the Myriad Gardens for me to have lunch on a park bench.

25. Default Re: SandRidge Amenities Building

Man, I really loved that Harold's. What a shame first of all that they withdrew from downtown, and even more so what happened to that brand.

Thread Information