Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Colcord Hotel

Default Re: Colcord Hotel

The Colcord is a gem.

Many more people will see it when Flint gets their outdoor patio open, as I predict that will become a real hot spot.

I've heard Larry Nichols has completely fallen in love with this building, which is why Devon didn't sell it back after stating that to be their plan when it was initially acquired.

I've also heard that even though the building has been recently remodeled, they will be doing some major upgrades soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've also heard that even though the building has been recently remodeled, they will be doing some major upgrades soon.
    Really. Do you know what this involves -- i.e. room renovations, or just the common areas? Or maybe this is just boring, but important backend stuff like plumbing, HVAC, etc.

I believe it will be primarily room renovations.

I believe it will be primarily room renovations.
    Never stayed there, but I had heard they were already some of the nicest and up to date rooms in the metro. But any room can get frayed around the edges with enough traffic.

I recall a story a few years back that when the NBA first cam to OKC, the Colcord modified their rooms to accommodate NBA players. The installed longer beds and did a few other things to make their stay in town more comfortable. I need to think of an excuse to stay down there someday.

I thought the visiting teams' players stayed at the Skirvin?

I think they usually do now. I am talking about back when the Hornets were here.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I thought the visiting teams' players stayed at the Skirvin?
    Both have been highlighted on TV for players staying at them, percentage of team visits each get will be harder to track down.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I recall a story a few years back that when the NBA first cam to OKC, the Colcord modified their rooms to accommodate NBA players. The installed longer beds and did a few other things to make their stay in town more comfortable. I need to think of an excuse to stay down there someday.
    New Year's Eve is a great night to stay downtown. And you can stop by my house for fireworks from the porch!

That sounds like a great plan betts!

Found this photo on the Colcord FB page...

It's the new Terrace meeting / events room on the 2nd floor in the new addition to the hotel.

I was in this space last night for an event and it is a very nice space. The best part about it is the view towards the Myriad Gardens.

Coclord getting the big ornament treatment for the holidays as well:

Went to the Colcord (Flint) for dinner after a Thunder game a couple weeks ago and was quite happy with it. It's a very well done. Though this was the first time I was there for dinner, it was my third time overall, including once for the bar and once for brunch. Each time I've been there, there's always some famous out of town person there. First it was William H. Macy and after the Thunder game it was Wayne LaPierre of the NRA and his large contingent. They really seemed to enjoy the patio, which appears to be completed and very nice. Is the Colcord where all the bigwigs who come into town stay now?

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Went to the Colcord (Flint) for dinner after a Thunder game a couple weeks ago and was quite happy with it. It's a very well done. Though this was the first time I was there for dinner, it was my third time overall, including once for the bar and once for brunch. Each time I've been there, there's always some famous out of town person there. First it was William H. Macy and after the Thunder game it was Wayne LaPierre of the NRA and his large contingent. They really seemed to enjoy the patio, which appears to be completed and very nice. Is the Colcord where all the bigwigs who come into town stay now?
    A couple of years ago, I had the bar tender tell me that during the playoffs, that Lakers coach Phil Jackson sat there for two hours one night and watched sports and drank.....said it was amazing who walks through the bar on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post

A couple of years ago, I had the bar tender tell me that during the playoffs, that Lakers coach Phil Jackson sat there for two hours one night and watched sports and drank.....said it was amazing who walks through the bar on occasion.
    That is interesting considers the laker always stay at the skirvin

Photo from the Colcord Facebook page showing the large ornament display:

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    That is interesting considers the laker always stay at the skirvin
    I thought the same thing, guess he found his way over. The bar tender said Jackson asked him if the channel could be changed to a different game and he told him 'Yes Sir'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I thought the same thing, guess he found his way over. The bar tender said Jackson asked him if the channel could be changed to a different game and he told him 'Yes Sir'.
    Yes, it's quite possible that the bar at the Colcord does occasionally allow people staying at the Skirvin to enter.

Nice shot down Robinson, from the Colcord facebook page:

Will be interesting to see how this area is affected when OPUBCO settles in across the street.

^

Love it!

HangryHippo Guest

OPUBCO's move will really make that shot look awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    OPUBCO's move will really make that shot look awesome.
    i was thinking the same thing

I'm just hoping OPUBCO is viable long-term. Either way, to get that corner improved is a big improvement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I'm just hoping OPUBCO is viable long-term. Either way, to get that corner improved is a big improvement.
    Once OPUBCO has paid for the renovations, if those renovations live up to their hype, who wouldn't then want to grab that space if the Oklahoman/print paper portion of the business fails? And even if it does fail I'd think they'd go online-only and still have a non-trivial presence in that building supporting online content generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Nice shot down Robinson, from the Colcord facebook page:

Will be interesting to see how this area is affected when OPUBCO settles in across the street.
    Between the Colcord being butted right up next to it, and First National not looking much bigger than the Colcord, Devon looks just absolutely massive in this picture.

Great shot though...love the way Colcord lighted their building...would be stunning if it were 10 stories taller and could be easily seen in the skyline.

Thread Information