Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Colcord Hotel

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Colcord Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    It looks like Cincinatti 20 years ago to me........can't see why anyone would prefer that over modern and sleek. Don't get me wrong, I like the larger older buildings with character, but just not all of the one and two story flop houses in mass.
    I disagree. I'd say the vast majority of those buildings had far more character and thoughtful design put into them than most of what we see today. While Devon's new headquarters is truly wonderful, I feel like our city has lost far more than what could ever be replaced by a few new buildings that are modern and sleek. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Honestly, I think I kind of would too.
    Not me. I like and use the Norick library, the MBG, and I think Devon and other developments, in place and planned, are a far superior use of those spaces.

I just like my buildings constructed on the human scale with the beauty in the details.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Not me. I like and use the Norick library, the MBG, and I think Devon and other developments, in place and planned, are a far superior use of those spaces.
    You prefer Norick Library to the orginal Carnegie Library in OKC? Don't take this the wrong way - but you're crazy Just kidding, you're not crazy.

Carnegie Library in Oklahoma City | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Although, the Carnegie library was set back too far from the street for my taste even if I do like the architecture

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I disagree. I'd say the vast majority of those buildings had far more character and thoughtful design put into them than most of what we see today. While Devon's new headquarters is truly wonderful, I feel like our city has lost far more than what could ever be replaced by a few new buildings that are modern and sleek. Does that make sense?
    It would make sense if 90% had been wiped out, but that's not the case. We still have Film Row, Bricktown, Auto Alley and Midtown plus a few good ones left standing in the CBD. A lot of the buildings like the Skirvin replaced a lot of nothing type structures. From that 1910 photo, imagine how many were cleared for FNC and City Place. I love the Colcord, but when driving in from 15 miles out, what's the first thing you see ? It's no the Colcord. I have a Dallasite friend of mine who lived here about 4 years in the late nineties. He hated this place and it has been years since he's been back up here. He was here a couple of weeks ago and said he was very impressed with what has happend to the CBD, siad it has been done up very nice and impressive.....This was from a man that's been dogging us for years. If it looked like that post card from 1910, I'd never hear the end of it.

It would make sense if 90% had been wiped out, but that's not the case. We still have Film Row, Bricktown, Auto Alley and Midtown plus a few good ones left standing in the CBD. A lot of the buildings like the Skirvin replaced a lot of nothing type structures. From that 1910 photo, imagine how many were cleared for FNC and City Place. I love the Colcord, but when driving in from 15 miles out, what's the first thing you see ? It's no the Colcord. I have a Dallasite friend of mine who lived here about 4 years in the late nineties. He hated this place and it has been years since he's been back up here. He was here a couple of weeks ago and said he was very impressed with what has happend to the CBD, siad it has been done up very nice and impressive.....This was from a man that's been dogging us for years. If it looked like that post card from 1910, I'd never hear the end of it.
    No matter how you look at it, we've lost a lot of the rich fabric of the city's history. I don't think anyone is saying the inconsequential buildings that used to occupy Devon's footprint would be better than having the Energy Center, but my heart aches seeing photos of seemingly endless unbroken blocks of ordinary buildings built in a beautifully urban way. Is the CBD better than what's in the photo from 1910? Yes. But it's surrounded by sparse development that, had the buildings not been razed needlessly, could have been a framework for the dense urban downtown that we want today. We should never have worked our way down, replacing buildings with grass and parking lots.

This was from a man that's been dogging us for years. If it looked like that post card from 1910, I'd never hear the end of it.
    If OKC had continued the urban density we had in 1910 you wouldn't care what a person from Dallas thought.

If you guys want that first picture postcard, go north to Wichita, get rid of their tallest building and make yourself at home. Keep in mind, that 1910 were still mostly horse and buggy days, not much use for parking lots at the time, but probably not more than 40,000 or so population either. Compare that with today, times have changed. But I do understand and enjoy the character of the larger old buildings.

9. Default Re: Colcord Hotel

If you guys want that first picture postcard, go north to Wichita, get rid of their tallest building and make yourself at home. Keep in mind, that 1910 were still mostly horse and buggy days, not much use for parking lots at the time, but probably not more than 40,000 or so population either. Compare that with today.
    True, but I think the point is we went too far with basing nearly all urban development on accommodating the automobile at the expense of good design and pedestrian friendliness.

If only London didn't exist to remind us that old 4 and 5 story buildings can make a modern city.

12. Default Re: Colcord Hotel

Just found these. Pete should probably create a Carnegie Library thread.

Awesome shot of the original part of the Post Office to the left. By the way, I don't think the Braniff Building was built yet, but it would be directly behind the photographer.

Street View

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    If OKC had continued the urban density we had in 1910 you wouldn't care what a person from Dallas thought.
    Exactly what I was thinking but couldn't put into the right words.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ethansisson View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking but couldn't put into the right words.
    This.

Did they demolish the old Carnegie Library ? And if they did, that is a shame, these are the types that have character, such as the Baum Building.

Yes, the Carnegie Library was demolished in 1951.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, the Carnegie Library was demolished in 1951.
    What were they thinking ? This is pre urban renewal. This must have been when they built a new library.

18. Default Re: Colcord Hotel

Did they demolish the old Carnegie Library ?
    Yeah, click Street View on my last post.

a ha... that now explains why it is called Carnegie Center

happy to report that the flint Patio opens today for the first thunder preseason game

Awesome!

This is going to be a great and unique spot for downtown, with a beautiful setting, outside bar, fire pit and views of the Myriad Gardens and Devon Tower.

Can't wait to check it out.

A brief but happy review of Flint, with a few pics:

Flint | OKC Restaurant Review « Carli Wentworth Photography

STILL working on the patio area of Flint.

Going to be great but this has been pushed back so late into the season it's hard to imagine it will get much use until next spring.

If the fall nights continue like they have been, I don't see why no one would use it, especially before Thunder games.

This is probably an older pic, but such a nice shot, I had to post:

Colcord lobby (from their facebook page)

Thread Information