Widgets Magazine

Thread: Moore Projects

Default Moore Projects

As was suggested in the Target thread, here is a place to discuss construction projects in Moore.

A guy my dad works with, that always seems to know what is going to happen in Moore before anyone else, said that the Home depot will be built at the SW corner of 19th and Telephone Rd, despite reports it would be behind Wal-Mart on I-35. On the SW corner of there is a sign for rezoning now. He also said that a movie theater would be built behind the Wal-Mart where the HD was supposed to be. I haven't heard anything about a movie theater from anyone else. Has anyone heard anything about it.

Does anyone know what kind of hotel is going in on the west side of I-35 north of 12th street.

If anyone has information about the Target, Fire Mountain, La Quinta, or anything else proposed, please post it here.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Default Re: Moore Projects

I think that hotel at 12th was knocked over by the tornado. Just another motel... LOL

3. Default Re: Moore Projects

That motel site was a Days Inn. There was a Motel 6 back behind las Fajitas as well. Home Depot's application to rezone the area at Telephone and 19th will be considered by the planning commission in May. The only business for sure behind Wal Mart is another retail center facing Telephone Rd. The movie theatre is one of the uses being considered. No one has committed as of yet...............

I wonder why the shopping center will face Telephone, and not the interstate. There is better traffic flow on Telephone, but more visibility on the interstate. I hope they put a center turn lane on Telephone, because my parents live in that neighborhood. Traffic is getting bad now, and it would be much worse with a shopping center there.

Dirt work has begun south of Russell Stover's, probably for the Fire Mountain.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

I am actually thinking La Quinta.

Telephone Road actually goes through the (trying not to upset anyone for once) the uhh... less weathy section of Moore, where just about every street is nearly bottlenecked. Of course I am speaking of 12th, and Santa Fe area up north, but the Southwest is as bad.

I almost wish that they would make the shoppping center face the Wal Mart, but we all know how lovely a view that would be.

Again, I mean no offense to people that love Wal Mart, or work at Wal Mart.

6. Default Re: Moore Projects

Looks like the Home Depot in Moore is going to happen.

From the Moore American:

Home Depot store to have new 'look'

Written by: Jennifer Griswold

A proposed Home Depot store in Moore won’t look like other stores in the area.

Larry Koehler, a consultant for the Home Depot, told members of the Moore Planning Commission the Moore store will be an upgraded building and will look different than other Home Depot stores in Oklahoma.

He said the store will include red brick on the exterior and will be beige and earth tones. He said columns and wainscoting will be elements of the design.

Koehler told the commission the targeted date to begin construction, if plans are approved, is July 12. He said the planned opening date is February 2, 2006, making for a tight construction schedule.

Members of the commission unanimously recommended approval of a rezoning application for the store’s site at the May 10 meeting. The Moore City Council voted on the rezoning item Monday night.

The proposed store will be built on one of the commercial lots on a 22-acre piece of property in the southwest quadrant of Southwest 19th St. and Telephone Road. Access to the store will be from Southwest 19th St. and Telephone Rd.

According to a company overview posted on The Home Depot’s Web site, the retailer expects to add 175 stores in 2005. The company, which has headquarters in Atlanta, Ga., recorded $73.1 billion in sales for fiscal year 2004. Stores average 107,000 square feet.

The company already has stores in south Oklahoma City, Midwest City and Norman.

Koehler said the company will submit for a building permit in early June.

Mayor Glenn Lewis said the city is activly pursuing businesses and is “extremely excited to have a retailer like Home Depot coming to Moore.”

7. Default Re: Moore Projects

That makes for 8 Home Depots and 8 Lowes in the MSA. Wow, I mean are we really that handy? I think it's the Trading Spaces phenomenon.

8. Default Re: Moore Projects

It may be partly due to the fact that our economy is really good right now and the housing market is one of the more robust in the country. I really like the idea of making it look different than a typical Home Depot. It won't make the area look trashy.

9. Default Re: Moore Projects

Yep, the design sounds really good(Bass Pro should have consulted with them) with the columns and stuff. I have an apartment @ the Greens right down the street and it's astonishing how much this area has grown in just the last 18 months. The widening of 19th was more than needed and hopefully they're almost done(a left front strut has already been a casualty).

Going south on Santa Fe from 19th there are numerous housing developments going up. Really, the entire area is booming, but we all already know that. I'm really proud of Moore. Considering two major tornadoes and being in between fast growing S. OKC and Norman, Moore could have reacted too slowly & pretty much gotten swallowed whole. :respect:

10. Default Re: Moore Projects

I live across the street from the Greens and was quite happy to see the stop lights go up at 19th and Eagle Dr.

Of course I'll be happier when they start working. Crossing traffic onto 19th can be brutal.

11. Default Re: Moore Projects

Tell me about it! The traffic is backed up coming west on 19th even on Saturday afternoons!

I also like the sidewalks that they have put in along the road. Now if only we could get a Town Center built in between the Fairways and the Home Depot!!!........Yeah, I know, sounds like a pipe dream, but you never know. There are nice town centers in both Des Moines and Omaha, so it might as well be Moore that get's OKC's first one.

Jay Guest

Moore's progress is rubbing off on south OKC. I was down on SW 134th and Penn yesterday and they have almost finished the new Moore-Norman Vo-Tech branch. A 7-11 has recently opened on the SE corner and a Sonic is near completion just south of 7-11 on Penn.

I would almost gurantee a Mcdonald's and possibly a grocery store will be next. I wonder who will be first Albertsons, Homeland or SprawlMart Neighborhood Trash Heap.

Thread Information