Widgets Magazine

Thread: Casady Square

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Casady Square

Plu - just tying to stay positive is all.

Nick - I don’t disagree. But I will say that the outcomes of that vision process and some of our new codes are a pretty dynamic change for The Village. This was one of the last projects that will get caught up in the shift to these new recommendations.... I hope. But I do feel strongly that there were some simple things they could’ve done that would have respected that vision a little more.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post

Nick - I don’t disagree. But I will say that the outcomes of that vision process and some of our new codes are a pretty dynamic change for The Village. This was one of the last projects that will get caught up in the shift to these new recommendations.... I hope. But I do feel strongly that there were some simple things they could’ve done that would have respected that vision a little more.
    First, let me say thank you for participating here - I appreciate it. Does the Village Vision have any teeth to it? I'm leery of guidelines being created and then everything proposed that doesn't meet the guidelines receiving exemptions or variances.

Also, are there any renderings available of the new office building on Hefner?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    First, let me say thank you for participating here - I appreciate it. Does the Village Vision have any teeth to it? I'm leery of guidelines being created and then everything proposed that doesn't meet the guidelines receiving exemptions or variances.

Also, are there any renderings available of the new office building on Hefner?
    The new office building has a similar style to those just north of Dunkin Donuts on May (between Britton and Hefner). Same builder. It will improve the look on Hefner a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post

I see. At least you tried. I sure wish Braums cared more about how they designed their stores.

I know you can’t badmouth any other council members on here and I don’t want you to, but you seem like a progressive person and great for the city. Do you feel like others in city are on board with making the area more walkable and being more progressive in how buildings are constructed and laid out?

I absolutely think long term we are all on the same page about making The Village a different place and growing from were we’ve been. We all want our city to be more unique and noticeably different from the surrounding areas of OKC. The bond packages that we just passed (80% margin btw!) are going to make some massive improvements, beginning with Britton between Penn and May. The new plans call for a multi-path along the road which will eventually tie into Lake Hefner and, I hope, will tie into some other sidewalks and similar trails that we’ve discussed. The area between city hall and Loves will also be another area of great change as the city begins to pay off some debt from the purchase of the old apartments and can then use the TIF funds for some great public projects. It’s an exciting time out here and I really think the next 5-10 years will be a game changer for us.

I do believe the Village Vision will continue to shape the future. It doesn’t have teeth per say, but it has already inspired changes to our sign ordinances (sans Braums!), much improved landscaping guidelines and next up for discussion will be building design guidelines. These things take time and we understand that. We’ve added more than 300 homes in the past decade with more to come, great new businesses like Uptown, OnCue and Dunkin’ Donuts...well things are really beginning to change.

Thread Information