Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayne Coyne wants to piss off/on Automobile Alley

1. Auto Alley Wayne Coyne wants to piss off/on Automobile Alley

Well symbolically anyway.

http://www.news9.com/story/18021625/...de-okc-gallery

I originally didn't like the building exterior art at all. I'm now of the opinion its fine and does add some character, just not my taste. I don't think the ****** doors are appropriate but are still fairly abstract so, who cares.

The proposed sign though is tasteless and I think should not be used IMO. Hang it inside if you want, but I really don't wanna see it hanging above the street.

But, I guess I'm just not cool enough to get it.

2. Default Re: Wayne Coyne wants to piss off/on Automobile Alley

I really don't care either way in this case, but I am very curious to see where the "boundary" is in downtown OKC.

Default Re: Wayne Coyne wants to piss off/on Automobile Alley

This sign is going nowhere. It is kind of a shame that people try to push this kind of thing to do nothing more than create controversey. The world has enough drama going on, we don't need has-been hippy rockers going on a freakout trying to create additional drama. Wayne - your schtick is old. We have real problems in the world we don't need your fake manufactured problems.

This is actually hilarious in how terrible and contrived the piece of art is. I like Wayne a lot, but this is just silly, this old schock tactic. JTF is right: the schtick is overdone. I don't think the "sign" is appropriate for Automobile Alley, but if it goes up, people are just going to scoff at it and ignore it as they do most pieces of trite, irrelevant art.

Can we get a uh name change for the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Well symbolically anyway.

I originally didn't like the building exterior art at all. I'm now of the opinion its fine and does add some character, just not my taste. I don't think the ****** doors are appropriate but are still fairly abstract so, who cares.

The proposed sign though is tasteless and I think should not be used IMO. Hang it inside if you want, but I really don't wanna see it hanging above the street.

But, I guess I'm just not cool enough to get it.
    Brian, your friends make some good points in the comments:

7. Default Re: Wayne Coyne wants to piss off/on Automobile Alley

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Brian, your friends make some good points in the comments:
    How would I or anyone else know if people commenting at News9 were my 'friends'? Simply because someone agrees or disagrees with my opinion does not qualify or disqualify them as my friend.

Personally, I stopped reading comments below news stories long ago because I imagine if I met most of those people in person I probably would not give their opinion(s) an ounce of credit so why would I start when they are 100% anonymous. At least within this forum the participants develop credibility (or lack thereof).

Also, what's wrong with the title of this thread? The 'art' is being described as a woman urinating. Thread title reads accurate to me on multiple levels.

How is this different from people walking around in t-shirts that show Calvin peeing on a Texas Longhorn?

It's not that far from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    How would I or anyone else know if people commenting at News9 were my 'friends'? Simply because someone agrees or disagrees with my opinion does not qualify or disqualify them as my friend.

Personally, I stopped reading comments below news stories long ago because I imagine if I met most of those people in person I probably would not give their opinion(s) an ounce of credit so why would I start when they are 100% anonymous. At least within this forum the participants develop credibility (or lack thereof).

Also, what's wrong with the title of this thread? The 'art' is being described as a woman urinating. Thread title reads accurate to me on multiple levels.
    A better thread title would be: Wayne Coyne proposes controversial signage with naked woman urinating

Here are some of the comments on the News9 site:

"Hey, Wayne Coyne, take your so-called "art" to Berkeley where it'll be MUCH more appreciated and quit trying to turn our town into Gomorrah, OK"

"Well, the painting itself lacks symmetry and proportion. Artistic skill, minimal."

"it's beyond me how this freak is riding this high in okc. Mick should have adopted Toby Keith instead of this freak show. flaming lips? seriously? how in the he11 did this happen? the flaming lips in OKC is kinda of like pecante sauce made in NYC. they need to relocate to the left coast. please go."

"freak, take the bands name down off our street, we're not proud of these weirdos"

"I don't really care. But to call Wayne a genius just shows how stupid the person claiming that is. He is a LOUSY visual artist and a scummy muscian that makes nothing but noise. The sooner he assumes room temperatrure the better. He is a boil on the buttocks of the city and outside of OK is considered in the music world as a trash head."

"No thank you to that trash!! Get some REAl ART!!"

(Judging from comments) So you're either pro-Gomorrah or anti-Gomorrah.

I'll be pro, I think (after reading those comments)

Well, Netherlands is definitely Gomorrah.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    It's not that far from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ
    Oh? Where's the religious symbolism in Coyne's artwork?

(Judging from comments) So you're either pro-Gomorrah or anti-Gomorrah.

I'll be pro, I think (after reading those comments)
    If you're under 30 and over 50, probably pro, otherwise anti.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    Oh? Where's the religious symbolism in Coyne's artwork?
    Gomorrah gomorrah gomorrah!!

is it bad that i oppose this sign not because of the naked woman urinating but because of the Robot riding a Unicorn???

Edit: upon further inspection... perhaps it is Pegasus, and not a unicorn... in which case, makes me oppose it even more! Robots on Horses is an abomination!

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    ... Robots on Horses is an abomination!
    The rest of the sign appears to concur

It must be nice to be a 1%er where all your problems are self-manufactured. That dude must be seriously self-absorbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    It must be nice to be a 1%er where all your problems are self-manufactured. That dude must be seriously self-absorbed.
    What does that have to do with any of this?

I'd be pretty absorbed in my own thoughts too if they were as interesting as Wayne's. LOL

I'd be pretty absorbed in my own thoughts too if they were as interesting as Wayne's. LOL
    Most entertainers try to bring attention to themselves - it's kind of a sales pitch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    How is this different from people walking around in t-shirts that show Calvin peeing on a Texas Longhorn?
    I go to Italy a lot. I have seen many depictions of small boys / cupids peeing in a fountain. I suppose that is offensive. LOL. Who needs those depictions from stoned out musicians, right?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102883176d.jpg 
Views:	1113 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	1286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manneken_pis_statue.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	1287

If you take as much acid as Wayne probably has, your own head is going to be pretty interesting.

I also definitely fall into the pro-Gomorrah category.

I vote no on the sign (and on Gomorrah by the way). I've got no problem with the paint job on the building, as it is an art gallery. I do find the strings of Christmas lights pretty tacky, and I hate to see windows painted over as it just makes me think the place is rundown. Also, from what I understand, the whole operation seems pretty low budget/poorly managed.

That being said, if his goal is to provide a different perspective, and allow for some alternative artistic ideas, I think that's great, but he can do that without using a sign that to many, just seems purposely divisive. Why not spend less effort on the sign and more effort on some permanent displays, hiring a staff and having normal operating hours.

There's not much artistic merit if you have to manufacture a controversy. That being said, until now, nobody's talked much about his building since New Year's...

I like it, but just because people think it's a big deal. It's not. Lol.

The strings of lights are the same type of lighting that is on all the AA buildings at Christmas. The Womb just has its still up. I actually like them. I find the sign mildly offensive, and a bit sophmoric, but I don't think Wayne Coyne is trying to piss off Automobile Alley. I just think he likes to push boundaries a bit. I can think of worse boundaries, personally. This reminds me of what I used to tell my children: the more upset you get about something, the more entertaining it is for those who are trying to upset you. No reaction, no entertainment.

Thread Information