Widgets Magazine

Thread: Cycling the eastern roads of the city

Default Cycling the eastern roads of the city

I may be moving out to Edmond soon but don't want to give up riding my bike to work. Anyone have any experience on Kelly/Bryant/Eastern between Britton and Memorial during the morning and afternoon drive times(Or slightly before/after, really)? Is it pretty dicey, or do people behave reasonably towards bikes? I've managed to avoid major roads on my current ride aside from a 1/4 mile on Britton over the extension, and have had just a few close calls(Mostly intentionally aggressive behavior from drivers as opposed to inattention).

Default Re: Cycling the eastern roads of the city

NoOkie – Partially for your consideration and partially for the benefit of all on this board, here’s a long reply:

You'll be in a beautiful rural area which is quickly being developed by individual homes and subdivisions. The open terrain and beauty also attracts cyclists who are out for exercise. Both groups do a very good job of co-existing on those roads, and the vast majority of cyclists understand their rights & responsibilities (they have a right to the road, but a responsibility to not hold up traffic). This is especially true east of I-35 towards Jones, where I rode Saturday morning.

Specific suggestions: I’d stick to four-lane roads where possible, and avoid Britton Road. Try to select roads where rush-hour traffic is not going your same direction. Wear a bright blinkie on your helmet (more visible than your seat post).

Finally, here’s a YouTube video posted last week showing a motorist striking a cyclist on a bridge in Bethlehem, PA on Monday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7AVC1YCcO0 In an attempt to minimize the crossfire, here are the facts: 1) This video was posted by the Bethlehem Police Department and contains images from their cameras; 2) The cyclist was riding legally in a lane marked by a sign instructing motorists to yield one full lane to cyclists, and with “sharrows” (share the road arrows) – both signs and rules are in effect in Oklahoma City; 3) Pedestrian foot traffic was confined to the sidewalk, and bicycles are both prohibited and unsafe here; 4) The 17-year-old driver who struck the cyclist tried to flee the scene but was blocked by a mass transit bus and another motorist, and both drivers have been honored by the City of Bethlehem.

PM me if you’d like to discuss further.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    NoOkie – Partially for your consideration and partially for the benefit of all on this board, here’s a long reply:

You'll be in a beautiful rural area which is quickly being developed by individual homes and subdivisions. The open terrain and beauty also attracts cyclists who are out for exercise. Both groups do a very good job of co-existing on those roads, and the vast majority of cyclists understand their rights & responsibilities (they have a right to the road, but a responsibility to not hold up traffic). This is especially true east of I-35 towards Jones, where I rode Saturday morning.

Specific suggestions: I’d stick to four-lane roads where possible, and avoid Britton Road. Try to select roads where rush-hour traffic is not going your same direction. Wear a bright blinkie on your helmet (more visible than your seat post).

Finally, here’s a YouTube video posted last week showing a motorist striking a cyclist on a bridge in Bethlehem, PA on Monday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7AVC1YCcO0 In an attempt to minimize the crossfire, here are the facts: 1) This video was posted by the Bethlehem Police Department and contains images from their cameras; 2) The cyclist was riding legally in a lane marked by a sign instructing motorists to yield one full lane to cyclists, and with “sharrows” (share the road arrows) – both signs and rules are in effect in Oklahoma City; 3) Pedestrian foot traffic was confined to the sidewalk, and bicycles are both prohibited and unsafe here; 4) The 17-year-old driver who struck the cyclist tried to flee the scene but was blocked by a mass transit bus and another motorist, and both drivers have been honored by the City of Bethlehem.

PM me if you’d like to discuss further.
    Appreciate the advice. I've got some hi-viz stuff and some high-wattage strobe LEDs(And a mirror. God it looks dorky, but I love the thing). Everyone seems to peacefully co-exist on the weekends and off hours, but rush-hour adds a certain level of insanity to the roads for everyone, regardless of what kind of vehicle you're using.

Sounds like Eastern might be my best bet. Unfortunately, my office is right off Britton(The office building right at the corner of Britton and Broadway) so I've got to spend at least a little bit of time on it due to lack of side roads in that area.

Britton Road is four lane until I-35, so you should simply establish a highly-visible place in the right lane so traffic can quickly identify the need to move around you - unimpeded - in the left lane. Unless I've got it backwards, you're riding westbound in the morning and eastbound in the afternoon, so motorists won't have the sun in their eyes. Sounds like a pretty nice commute to me!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Britton Road is four lane until I-35, so you should simply establish a highly-visible place in the right lane so traffic can quickly identify the need to move around you - unimpeded - in the left lane. Unless I've got it backwards, you're riding westbound in the morning and eastbound in the afternoon, so motorists won't have the sun in their eyes. Sounds like a pretty nice commute to me!
    Yeah, should be alright. I'm no stranger to taking the lane and being out there. I've just had a few close calls with people intentionally being aggressive and trying to startle me/run me off the road on Britton(Over the bridge) so would avoid a major road if possible. I currently cruise most of the way to work on 92nd and it's almost empty of cars and rather peaceful.

I have ridden on all three N/S streets you mention between Memorial and 63rd. Eastern is your best bet because it is a nicely paved four lane. The two miles you will have to run on Britton from Eastern to Broadway is pretty good as well. I don't know where you might be coming from in Edmond, but if you have to move East or West, avoid Memorial. The expansion joints will bend your rims (or drive you crazy).

All that being said, DO NOT expect drivers to move out of the right lane completely on Eastern. On numerous occasions, I have had close calls, simply because the driver was too inconvenienced to give me three feet of room. As you're obviously a cyclist, you know the deal.

What I did was leave a little early in the mornings to try and avoid the heaviest morning traffic, and I left a little earlier in the afternoons to avoid the heaviest evening traffic. (I know that not everybody can do that.)

Best of luck! To everyone, cyclists are not asking for special treatment, we just don't want to get killed...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomPaine View Post
    I have ridden on all three N/S streets you mention between Memorial and 63rd. Eastern is your best bet because it is a nicely paved four lane. The two miles you will have to run on Britton from Eastern to Broadway is pretty good as well. I don't know where you might be coming from in Edmond, but if you have to move East or West, avoid Memorial. The expansion joints will bend your rims (or drive you crazy).

All that being said, DO NOT expect drivers to move out of the right lane completely on Eastern. On numerous occasions, I have had close calls, simply because the driver was too inconvenienced to give me three feet of room. As you're obviously a cyclist, you know the deal.

What I did was leave a little early in the mornings to try and avoid the heaviest morning traffic, and I left a little earlier in the afternoons to avoid the heaviest evening traffic. (I know that not everybody can do that.)

Best of luck! To everyone, cyclists are not asking for special treatment, we just don't want to get killed...
    Thanks for the solid info. We ended up renting a place in OKC, so my route will be mostly unchanged. That being said, I'm probably going to pick up a road bike soon and the eastern roads look a lot more interesting than endless loops around Hefner.

No problem. Lots of great roads in the east, I do recommend riding with a partner though whenever possible. Best of luck.

Thread Information