Widgets Magazine

Thread: More Subs Needed - Premium Features?

1. Lightbulb More Subs Needed - Premium Features?

Seeing Pete's call for more subs brings into question about nudging people in that dirThoughtsection. Why not create another sub section of specialized forums for paid members? Moving more delecate and high traffic areas like Politics as well as more specialized areas like nostalgia, faith, science, and other topics to the area should do well to generate revenue for those that want to participate. Could also look at areas like a chat room, gallery storage, etc as additional premium features.

Thoughts?

Default Re: More Subs Needed - Premium Features?

I really believe that once I can get a couple of more things done (like the wiki software) that the traffic will be such that the site will be pretty self-supporting; at least at the level of subscribers we now have.

I've thought a great deal about members-only content but I think what I'd rather do is just provide more features to them, such as photo hosting (or at least high limits on that) and other things.

I'm convinced the key to success is engaging the maximum amount of people in discussion and therefore don't want to restrict what people can see and where they can post.

I've got a massive project in the works (details to come!) that I think is going to draw lots of new people here. I know we've only begun to scratch the surface of what can flow through this site but I do believe I have a good plan in place for moving forward.

3. Default Re: More Subs Needed - Premium Features?

All good. Sounds promising. Just wanted to toss ideas around that could help.

Pete: Could you please PM me and tell me how I can mail you a money order?
    I'm a bit tired of being a freeloader . . . But I don't "do" PayPal.
    Thanks.

If you do online banking, check to see whether your bank offers a free "billpay" service. That's how I handled the problem, since I don't do PayPal either...

Incidentally, the mailing address is listed on the "subscribe" page and you can cancel out from there without having to do anything with PayPal. That's where I got the data that I passed along to BOK's billpay service.
    Last edited by Jim Kyle; 04-23-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: More detail

6. Default Re: More Subs Needed - Premium Features?

Exclusivity or private forums would be of no interest to me, but premium features could tip the scales for me - image hosting, multiple video embedding, etc.

7. Default Re: More Subs Needed - Premium Features?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Exclusivity or private forums would be of no interest to me, but premium features could tip the scales for me - image hosting, multiple video embedding, etc.
    Supporting a community forum you already have contributed 2800 posts on either enough to tip the scales? Why post so much on the forum, taking up bandwidth and space, if it has no value to you? Not being rude just curious on the way some people are thinking...especially those 7000 posts or higher that haven't contributed financially to the forum.

8. Default Re: More Subs Needed - Premium Features?

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Supporting a community forum you already have contributed 2800 posts on either enough to tip the scales? Why post so much on the forum, taking up bandwidth and space, if it has no value to you? Not being rude just curious on the way some people are thinking...especially those 7000 posts or higher that haven't contributed financially to the forum.
    A chatroom might be fun.

9. Default Re: More Subs Needed - Premium Features?

Supporting a community forum you already have contributed 2800 posts on either enough to tip the scales?
    No. (nothing personal, just 'no.')

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Incidentally, the mailing address is listed on the "subscribe" page and you can cancel out from there without having to do anything with PayPal. That's where I got the data that I passed along to BOK's billpay service.
    OK Jim, I give up, where is the "subscribe" page. I feel really stupid since I am a subscriber, but I don't remember how I did it and it doesn't appear to be on the home page. I will use BOK as well, as I do for almost all regular payments.
    C. T.

At any of the "menu" pages of the site, I see a sidebar at the left side of the screen with several category boxes. In the "My Account" box, about halfway down its length, is "Paid Subscriptions." Just click that and follow the menus.

However, to make it even simpler, here's what I copied out and used:

MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO OKCTALK.COM

MAILING ADDRESS
    OKCTALK.COM
    2324 NW 43rd Street
    Oklahoma City, OK 73112

EDIT: I come into the site on the "My Subscriptions" page and that's where I find the sidebar. It's not there on the main page, though...
    Last edited by Jim Kyle; 04-27-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: To correct a bad assumption

I think some premium features like image hosting, classifieds, maybe a personal e-mail address if that's possible, would make perfect sense and could help support the site.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm looking at several different options and will periodically post updates.

I just subscribed... I use this site and it's just right to help it out.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post

So you could promote your site and put up your video's?

16. Default Re: More Subs Needed - Premium Features?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    So you could promote your site and put up your video's?
    I can already do that if I choose - and you know that.

I limit anything that would be rationally deemed as 'self promotion' to infrequent posts on directly related threads. I don't promote my site through a signature and don't spam on unrelated threads. So, I don't see the point of your post other than to remind everyone of your bias - but posts like yours are one reason I would not (at this time) contribute financially this site.

Guys, let's please not get into this here.

Thanks.

Jim,
    Thanks,
    C. T.

My apologies Pete... I just asked a simple question Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shrug.gif 
Views:	387 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	1262

Thread Information