Widgets Magazine

Thread: Let's consider condos downtown

Patrick Guest

Default Let's consider condos downtown

Megan and I are in the process of moving into a condominim complex on the city's northwest side. We're renting our unit, but half of the units in the complex are privately owned.

It got me to thinking about residential possiblities downtown. Obviously we're wanting a mix of owned and rental units downtown. A great way to accomplish that goal is to build a high rise residential tower, and label the units "condominiums for sale." In most condominium communities, you end up with a combination of privately owned units and rental units. Investors will purchase blocks of units for rental purposes, while at the same time private individuals purchase single units for personal use.

Building several high rise condominiums downtown might be something we should consider.

Any thoughts?

2. Default Re: Let's consider condos downtown

Sounds like a great idea. We need to do something on a grand scale downtown with regard to housing. The Regency Tower apartments have been very successful and I think having more of those type of towers would not only build up our skyline, but also move people into downtown at a faster rate than building a ton of suburban-style communities all over the Bricktown and Deep Deuce area. That's not to say that we shouldn't build in those areas, but the CBD is where we ought to be building first to create the urban feel we desire. Something along the lines of 20-30 stories each would be sufficient.

Default Re: Let's consider condos downtown

Yeah, I wish a variety of high rise residences were downtown. That would add SOOOOOO much to the environment downtown.

Somebody with a bunch of money just needs to jump in and do it.

ErnieBall Guest

I think Downtown Guy's idea of making First National Center into some residential housing is a better idea.

http://downtownguy.blogspot.com/2005...-storming.html

How about making luxury apartments in the First National Bank Building. Tulsa's doing the same thing with the Philtower Building, so why couldn't it work here? Besides, isn't the vacancy rate for that place like 60 percent or something?

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieBall
    I think Downtown Guy's idea of making First National Center into some residential housing is a better idea.

http://downtownguy.blogspot.com/2005...-storming.html
    I agree. We need to start with empty buildings we already have. Once they're occupied, then we can focus on building apartments, condos, etc. on undeveloped property. Unfortunately, I guess OCURA doesn't see it my way. Oh well! I guess we shouldn't try to stop progress downtown.

Even City Place could possibly be converted to residential use. It isn't as bad off as First National, but it isn't necessarily full either, and it also has a closed floor plan.

Investors have been toying with this idea for years, don't expect it soon but it will happen both along the Oklahoma River and one or two downtown once the I-40 relocation is completed. Some investors have already been purchasing the land but plan to sit on it minimum of 5-7 years.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

The fact that we cannot get anything 'tall' to be built in downtown is a naturally occuring phenomena.

Responding to two items:

First National Tower would be tough to turn into a residential complex primarily due to the parking situation. I'm not sure how PhilTower is handling their issue with parking, but I'm sure they do not face the same challenges (no attached garage) that 1st National faces.

Also, with the parking structures that do exist in the area, you have to tip an attendant every time you have them retrieve your vehicle (it's one of those oldschool garages where everything is on some sort of strange elevator system). I wouldn't want to have to pony up to tip an attendant, let alone wait for them if I just needed something out of my car, or if I needed to run to the store to get some milk.

If they could somehow address their parking issues though, wow, what a place it could be. It would also make an extremely impressive hotel if properly made-over. The lobby downstairs could either be a magnificent convention hall, or a great lobby. Either way.

swake Guest

The Philtower doesn't have the same issues. First, most of the building will remain as office space and is full or nearly so, only the upper floors are being converted to residential.

The Philtower does have a garage attached to it but I don't know if the building and the garage are owned together. The garage is managed by American Parking so it may not be.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Nice to see you back, Midtowner.

Now, I don't think that, living downtown, you would go drive to get some milk. Doesn't that defeat the point of "urban?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner&RiceGrad
    Nice to see you back, Midtowner.

Now, I don't think that, living downtown, you would go drive to get some milk. Doesn't that defeat the point of "urban?"
    Living downtown in OKC, could you please explain to me what my alternatives are?

I actually live downtown. My closest outlet for milk (that is not a gas station) is Braums at 17th and Classen (or thereabout).

This is indeed a weakness that downtown OKC must address -- and that will be addressed eventually. We need some sort of legitimate downtown grocery/convenience store. I don't think such a thing is really feasible though since downtown's residential population is pretty spread out, so a grocery store within walking distance of any large population downtown just couldn't really happen.

To have residential space in 1st national, in my opinion would seriously be putting the cart before the horse.

I'm sure a "doctor" could finance such a housing project, just look at what happened with the Hill in Deep Deuce

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    To have residential space in 1st national, in my opinion would seriously be putting the cart before the horse.
    Explain.....

You have to have a solid residential population downtown first to attract a grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Explain.....

You have to have a solid residential population downtown first to attract a grocery store.
    In every single other case, you have either an attached garage, close parking, or you live in a converted parking garage, so your car is right outside.

With 1st National, the only close garages are those weird elevator types that require you to tip the attendent every time you come and go. They also cost about $100 extra per month. I think this would be something that really turned me off to 1st national when other options exist downtown that don't require me to tip a parking attendent every time I get in my car.

Could this be solved? Perhaps with valet parking? Sure -- I think it's possible, but they'd still have to put the cars somewhere.

That in my mind is what is holding the entire building back, for office space or whatever.

ErnieBall Guest

Living downtown in OKC, could you please explain to me what my alternatives are?

I actually live downtown. My closest outlet for milk (that is not a gas station) is Braums at 17th and Classen (or thereabout).

This is indeed a weakness that downtown OKC must address -- and that will be addressed eventually. We need some sort of legitimate downtown grocery/convenience store. I don't think such a thing is really feasible though since downtown's residential population is pretty spread out, so a grocery store within walking distance of any large population downtown just couldn't really happen.

Lack of a grocery store is the main reason that I won't live downtown.

Patrick Guest

In every single other case, you have either an attached garage, close parking, or you live in a converted parking garage, so your car is right outside.

With 1st National, the only close garages are those weird elevator types that require you to tip the attendent every time you come and go. They also cost about $100 extra per month. I think this would be something that really turned me off to 1st national when other options exist downtown that don't require me to tip a parking attendent every time I get in my car.

Could this be solved? Perhaps with valet parking? Sure -- I think it's possible, but they'd still have to put the cars somewhere.

That in my mind is what is holding the entire building back, for office space or whatever.
    There is a possiblity that the mall surrounding the tower could be converted to a multi-level parking garage, while still retaining some parking.....similar in nature to Century Center Parking Garage. I suppose the conversion would be costly, but so would converting it to residential uses, so if you're going to spend the money, might as well do it right.

There is a possiblity that the mall surrounding the tower could be converted to a multi-level parking garage, while still retaining some parking.....similar in nature to Century Center Parking Garage. I suppose the conversion would be costly, but so would converting it to residential uses, so if you're going to spend the money, might as well do it right.
    Convert that mall? I understand it's nearly filled with leaseholders. It's also one of the top spots in the state as far as foot traffic, if not THE top spot.

I don't think that's likely.

I live downtown (classen glen condos). I've lived there for about 6 months, and found downtown living to be pretty much what I expected for OKC. If you're expecting the suburban life of being within a mile of albertsons/blockbuster/mcdonalds/etc then downtown is not there yet. But if you like being centrally located to practically everything, then it's pretty nice. I'm not sitting on top of a grocery store, etc, but I'm not far from anything. I've met a large number of people who are just waiting for that grocery store. Keep in mind downtown is developing, but it is still a long way off from being able to walk everywhere and not have a car.

Patrick Guest

Convert that mall? I understand it's nearly filled with leaseholders. It's also one of the top spots in the state as far as foot traffic, if not THE top spot.

I don't think that's likely.
    Do you have any better suggestions for parking for First National?

Do you have any better suggestions for parking for First National?
    Well, the mall part is hugely successful, and if not full, it's nearly full. At least now, the success of that property is more key to downtown success than a resident population in the tower would be. The place is full of people, offices, restaurants, even clothing stores.

My suggestion would be to use valet parking, and forbid residents from tipping the valets.

The Walnut Hill proposal had a grocery store and pharmacy included because it would be the center of that large residential development and near Deep Deuce and future Bricktown loft apartments. That would've filled that void...

indeed BG but of course that would of been the right decision and OCURA wouldnt want that

Thread Information