Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Default The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Oklahoma City already is a hot bed for Prime Steakhouses with great steaks and monster wine lists.

There are currently seven major venues open in the metro area with a slew of new one's coming onto the market.

From South to North, the current seven are as follows:

- Mickey Mantle's
    - Red Prime Steak
    - The George
    - The Ranch Steakhouse
    - Mahogany Prime Steakhouse
    - Opus Prime Steakhouse
    - Boulevard Prime Steakhouse

We are anticipating adding a second Mahogany and Broadway 10 to the downtown market, and filling in the gap between The Ranch and downtown with The George, followed by a long assumed opening of Ruth's Chris in Classen Curve.

As far as OKC Talk goes, it seems the general consensus is that Red Prime is the favorite, with some supporters of Mickey Mantle's and a healthy dose of people who prefer the Ranch. Having worked at two of the steakhouses myself, and very possibly moving into a third, I've tried to keep tabs over time about the rankings of each restaurant as shared on Urbanspoon, Yelp, and Open Table. Below is a list of what I've kept.

Nov. 2011

Mickey Mantle's
    78% of 352
    3.5 stars in 34 reviews
    4.6 stars in 121 current reviews

Red Prime
    82% of 619
    4 stars in 25 reviews
    4.6 stars in 172 current reviews

Ranch Steakhouse
    87% of 464
    5 stars in 5 reviews
    4.5 stars in 89 current reviews

Mahogany
    80% of 368
    4 stars in 11 reviews
    4.5 stars in 134 current reviews

Opus
    54% of 150
    3.5 stars in 6 reviews
    4.5 stars in 89 current reviews

Boulevard
    82% of 543
    3.5 stars in 13 reviews
    4.6 stars in 93 current reviews
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Feb. 2013

Mickey Mantle's
    81% w/ 430 likes
    3.5 stars in 59 reviews
    4.5 stars in 174 current reviews

Red Prime
    81% w/ 708 likes
    4 stars in 45 reviews
    4.6 stars in 216 current reviews

Ranch Steakhouse
    88% w/ 603 likes
    4.5 stars in 20 reviews
    4.5 stars in 141 current reviews

Mahogany
    81% w/ 431 likes
    3.5 stars in 23 reviews
    4.5 stars in 164 current reviews

Opus
    59% w/ 135 likes
    3 stars in 12 reviews
    4.3 stars in 118 current reviews

Boulevard
    80% w/ 600 likes
    4 stars in 26 reviews
    4.5 stars in 97 current reviews
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    June 2014

Mickey Mantle's
    79% w/ 645 votes
    3.5 stars in 101 reviews
    4.4 stars in 165 recent reviews

Red Prime
    82% w/ 1035 votes
    4 stars in 83 reviews
    4.7 stars in 152 recent reviews

Ranch Steakhouse
    88% w/ 853 votes
    4.5 stars in 37 reviews
    4.6 stars in 166 recent reviews

Mahogany (Memorial)
    80% w/ 648 votes
    3.5 stars in 38 reviews
    4.6 stars in 123 recent reviews

Opus
    62% w/ 282 votes
    3.5 stars in 19 reviews
    4.7 stars in 70 recent reviews

Boulevard
    80% w/ 864 votes
    4 stars in 37 reviews
    4.6 stars in 76 recent reviews
    This is a space to compare, contrast and simply describe the things that you like, don't like, and think that could be improved at the steakhouses you've dined at.

Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

How Opus is still around is beyond me.

3. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Only been there once and have to agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Pretty sure these new 3 are going to be its death.

5. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

The Ranch I love.

Red Prime I love.

Sometimes I can't decided where to go. At least we have plenty of options in OKC. Boy we love steak here.

Took me awhile to find this thread after 9+ years but I'd like to know what is now everyone's thoughts on the best steakhouse in OKC? I've been wanting to try Bob's Steak and Chop House but there are many more options to choose from.

We love Bob's and were excited when we heard they were coming to OKC since we had been to the one in Frisco a couple of years before and loved it. Our top three has been like a juggling act as far as which one stays on top as # 1. Pre-Covid we would have said 1. Boulevard, 2. The Ranch, 3. Mickey Mantles. But post-Covid Boulevard changed some things and became a tad inconsistent in quality; but the reason we had it over the Ranch was because of it's atmosphere and being more romantic/quiet since the wife and I usually go to a steakhouse for our date nights. But the Ranch was, and always has been consistent and I LOVE their black truffle butter added to any their steaks; but it can get loud at peak times.

Before we left town Mahogany was definitely our #1, and loved the downtown location but the Memorial one was solid too; but downtown seemed to be just a step up from it. Service there is outstanding without being overbearing, and they have the full package from atmosphere (we always request the room in the NE corner since it's quieter and more intimate), their apps, salad, and sides are all top notch, have a solid old fashioned and great wine list. I put them still at #1.

Bob's seasoning on their steak is great, always cooked excellent, and they have one of the best old fashioned' s in OKC that is infused with a pecan liqueur. They also have these amazing skillet fried potatoes with topped with sauteed onions and peppercorn gravy! I always want to ask for a separate gravy boat of just that gravy it's so good! Red Prime is great and love their broccolini, but we prefer a place that has a baked potato side option. We didn't get a chance to go to Stock & Bond before we moved since we were waiting for them to get their sea legs, but have heard good things about them, but that it can also get loud at peak times as well but the food is solid.

Mahogany & the Ranch are our two favorites and IMO the most consistent of all them but we have several others that are also very good.

I've been wanting to try Bob's, just don't venture downtown much lately. Typically when my wife and I go we pick between Mahogany and The Ranch. We've tried all of the ones listed in this thread, and find that those 2 are the best. Usually we go with Mahogany because my wife prefers fish and she said they have a better selection than the Ranch. I've had great steaks at both so I usually just let her pick.

We have lots of great choices but unfortunately they have become hit or miss on service and food prep. We have consistently gone to the Ranch but the last several years, we have had more sub par experiences than good ones. Seems to have started about the time they opened Norman so I wonder if some of their better staff went down there. The Ranch has the best appetizers and sides overall though IMHO. We have had pretty good luck lately with Mahogany downtown. When making reservation though...need to specify if you don't want the bar area as they don't ask and will seat you in there. Nothing wrong with that area other than it is loud and more crowded than dining room. We ate there several weeks ago and food and service was excellent.

I was just discussing Opus with one of the on premise liquor reps the other day. We haven't tried it as the reviews are all over the board as to the food and service. My son and I did a OKC steak tour several years ago when the ladies in our house were out of town. Six steakhouse in six nights. We ordered the same items (or close to it) at each location. If I remember correctly, we ended up ranking them as Ranch and Mahogany tied for first, Red Prime, Cattleman's, Boulevard, Broadway 10, We ranked them based on quality and preparation of steak, variety and quality of sides, service and last, atmosphere.

We have been to Bobs. My daughter loves it as they have beef carpaccio. I thought Bobs was excellent but generic. It is quiet so makes a great place out for a romantic date.

11. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I was just discussing Opus with one of the on premise liquor reps the other day. We haven't tried it as the reviews are all over the board as to the food and service.
    Opus is an anomaly... It's nowhere near to being on par with the the other steaks mentioned in this thread...I mean the food isn't terrible but it's not good enough to bring you back for the price point.

The two times I've been there it's never been busy...... I don't know who owns it but I have a theory it's someone with a lot of money that just wants to own a steakhouse and doesn't mind losing money on it..... The few good comments I've heard about it almost always mention the wine selection.... So maybe that is what keeps them going.

just to recap the list (as it has grown since the OP)

from South to North

the Ranch Norman
    Bob's Steak & Chop House
    Mickey Mantles
    Mahogany Prime Downtown
    Stock & Bond
    RED Prime Steak
    Broadway 10 Bar & Chophouse
    The Ranch OKC
    Opus Prime
    Mahogany Prime North side
    Boulevard Steakhouse

coming soon
    TheCapital Grille
    Broadway 10 North OKC

It's not technically a steakhouse, but to me, the steaks at Michael's Grill can stand up with most, if not all of the heavy hitters on the list above. That being said, I do enjoy the steakhouse vibe of Mahogany and the Ranch.

14. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Mahogany is still my favorite of the prime steakhouses but I'll admit that overall it's not the experience it once was.

While I think their food is as good as it ever was. The dining experience has changed over the years. Dress has definitely gotten more casual there. And that's coming from someone that's definitely not the suit and tie type... But I would at least make the effort of business casual to dine there... These days I see tshirts, shorts, and ball caps regularly.

Also when Mahogany first opened the waitstaff would swap out napkins to match your attire. If you were wearing dark they would give you a black napkin and if you had light attire they would give you white and they would place it on your lap.... Also when they would place the table the staff would use a laser to make sure everything was aligned.... Which, yeah, is a little over the top but when I'm paying what I pay to eat there for a special occasion... I thought it was a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    We have lots of great choices but unfortunately they have become hit or miss on service and food prep. We have consistently gone to the Ranch but the last several years, we have had more sub par experiences than good ones. Seems to have started about the time they opened Norman so I wonder if some of their better staff went down there. The Ranch has the best appetizers and sides overall though IMHO. We have had pretty good luck lately with Mahogany downtown. When making reservation though...need to specify if you don't want the bar area as they don't ask and will seat you in there. Nothing wrong with that area other than it is loud and more crowded than dining room. We ate there several weeks ago and food and service was excellent.

I was just discussing Opus with one of the on premise liquor reps the other day. We haven't tried it as the reviews are all over the board as to the food and service. My son and I did a OKC steak tour several years ago when the ladies in our house were out of town. Six steakhouse in six nights. We ordered the same items (or close to it) at each location. If I remember correctly, we ended up ranking them as Ranch and Mahogany tied for first, Red Prime, Cattleman's, Boulevard, Broadway 10, We ranked them based on quality and preparation of steak, variety and quality of sides, service and last, atmosphere.

We have been to Bobs. My daughter loves it as they have beef carpaccio. I thought Bobs was excellent but generic. It is quiet so makes a great place out for a romantic date.
    Must be because I left

But, really, you have to think that having so many different steakhouses has probably spread the staffing for these types of places pretty thin. Why stay at one place and be 10th in line when you can go to a competitor and be 3rd or 4th? The percentage increase in upscale dining options in this city from 2013 to 2023 has been far grater than the population increase. Thrown on top of that what the Pandemic and Baby Boomer retirement has done to the prospects in these places and the reality is that Americans in general just need to lower their expectations when dining out.

I will also say the same thing I said to many a guest when I was at the Ranch: A chef doesn't make a good steak, a cow does. For me, it's hard to justify the expense of an upscale steakhouse when I can eat Steak 4 times as often if I reallocate that budget to buying and cooking myself. It probably helps that I worked in steakhouses for over a decade and have an idea of what to look for when I buy, but if you get good prime cuts and find your rhythm cooking it, the quality you get in the restaurant is not 4x to 5x what you would can do at home. Of course, there's something to be said of ambiance and appetizers/sides and drink/wine lists, but in most of those categories, the upscale steakhouses are not competing well with places like Ludivine, Black Walnut, Milo etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    just to recap the list (as it has grown since the OP)

from South to North

the Ranch Norman
    Bob's Steak & Chop House
    Mickey Mantles
    Mahogany Prime Downtown
    Stock & Bond
    RED Prime Steak
    Broadway 10 Bar & Chophouse
    The Ranch OKC
    Opus Prime
    Mahogany Prime North side
    Boulevard Steakhouse

coming soon
    TheCapital Grille
    Broadway 10 North OKC
    Why isn’t Cattleman’s on this list?

17. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    Cattleman's has steak? I only go there for breakfast. .

I've always considered Cattleman's more of a tourist trap... Whenever my relatives from out of state visit that's where they want to go.

The steaks are good but not as good as most on this list in my opinion..... I will say I can eat my weight in those croutons they serve made from their leftover rolls.

18. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I will also say the same thing I said to many a guest when I was at the Ranch: A chef doesn't make a good steak, a cow does. For me, it's hard to justify the expense of an upscale steakhouse when I can eat Steak 4 times as often if I reallocate that budget to buying and cooking myself.
    Going to have to disagree on this one.... With the right techniques I've made some Crest choice steaks that I would put up against some prime steaks I've had at places on this list.

Where I can't compete at home is with the ambiance and wine/liquor list.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Going to have to disagree on this one.... With the right techniques I've made some Crest choice steaks that I would put up against some prime steaks I've had at places on this list.

Where I can't compete at home is with the ambiance and wine/liquor list.
    Wait, what are you disagreeing with?

Cattleman's serves USDA choice for its standard cuts and is not considered a "Prime" steakhouse.

21. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Wait, what are you disagreeing with?
    "A chef doesn't make a good steak, a cow does."

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    "A chef doesn't make a good steak, a cow does."
    The whole cow is graded at once, so you can readily find a choice cut that has marbling and texture on par or better than average prime cuts.

Of course, you can definitely screw up a steak, so it's important not to do that (mostly, Prime steakhouses don't do this). The myriad techniques available to cook a steak may suit a mood at any given time (on a side note, the equipment that Prime Steakhouses tend to use is not something 99.9% of households have access to, so there is an obvious advantage on their end with the flame over broiler). There's times where a pan fried steak slaps more than a charcoal grilled steak or vice versa.

However, at the end of the day, the beef is good because the beef is good as long as you didn't screw it up. Ingredients are the star of the show in a lot of cooking anyway and I think that steakhouse cuts fall on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of what you can do to enhance the quality of the ingredient.

23. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

However, at the end of the day, the beef is good because the beef is good as long as you didn't screw it up. Ingredients are the star of the show in a lot of cooking anyway and I think that steakhouse cuts fall on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of what you can do to enhance the quality of the ingredient.
    Or at the end of the day a subpar steak is better than it could have been due to the cooks technique.... But I may also fall in that 0.01%.

I've never cooked at a prime steakhouse... Not because I couldn't but because I never wanted to.

it is not a "prime steak house" it offers 3 side menu USDA Prime" steaks .. the rest are choice ..

Cattleman's serves USDA choice for its standard cuts and is not considered a "Prime" steakhouse.
    missed that you already answered this .. ...

Thread Information