Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 37 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Default Best BBQ in Okc metro.

If you had guests coming from out of town, where would you take them to get the best BBQ in metro OKC? Now these folk are from Kansas, so, they are familiar with the Arthur Bryant's, Gates, Oklahoma Joes, type places in KC.

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

personally, i think iron starr on nw 36th & shartel is a great mix of food and atmosphere. i'd say it's barbecue "dressed up" which, to me, makes it a great venue to bring out of town guests. -M

Billy Sims (Edmond) serves some decent food. Meats and sides both good. You order at the meat cutting counter, round the corner order sides (one for a sandwich, two for a meal), and pay the cashier. There is no TIP jar at the register or anywhere else. Bottles of bbq sauce for sale are stocked on the shelf, including a sugar-free. Your table has hot and mild sauce.

The napkins are a cross between a single toilet paper sheet and a kleenex tissue. These are located in dispensers located around the dining area, not at your table! We always bring leftover napkins from another place, or a roll of paper towels. In a pinch you can make a restroom run and grab some hand towels. Billy cares more about throwaway plastic cups bearing his image than a nobrainer like decent napkins at a bbq joint, or so it would seem.

You bus your own table. Staff seems to keep everything wiped down and ready for the next guest.

This isn't necessarily my favorite bbq, but we always like what we order and the service is fine.

Prunepicker Guest

BBQ is very personal. What someone might think is out of this
    world
    another may think is awful.

I like Steve's on W. Hefner and N. Rockwell. I also like the pulled
    pork at Kamps. I wish Leo's was consistient. At one time I
    thought it was the best.

Arthur Bryant and Gates in Kansas City are my all time
    favorites.

I don't care for Earl's and didn't like County Line at all.

I don't think OKC has a "premiere BBQ destination(s)" like KC has, what it does have is a nice mix of places of different styles. Living in Austin for 8.5 years I found tremendous meat but many of the places were lacking in variety of sides and types of sauce.

Leo's is my favorite but have to agree with Prune about them being inconsistent, we pretty much try to go there when we are back in OKC if we have the time. Today for lunch I had Rudy's BBQ (went to the Colorado Springs location on Saturday) with Leo's sauce. I went to Bubba's new location when I was back at Christmas, it was still good but the potato recipe changed some. The others that I went to when I lived there 99 years ago was Oklahoma Station (my house was close to there and the Bubba's when he was on 39th). I also liked Hickory Tree but they have since closed. I remember when Steve's Rib was started in the entry of the Safeway/Homeland at Edmond Road and Santa Fe, Steve was an architect by trade before going into the BBQ biz, we went to his store location after he opened it and it was pretty good. Earl's is OK, nothing special but they do have a great burger. County Line was good, I only went to the locations in Austin once but the OKC location was always a nice environment, better than the food.

Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ in KC (the warehouse location) is my favorite there.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Earl's is OK, nothing special but they do have a great burger.
    I ate at Earl's twice before I realized it was supposed to be BBQ.
    Didn't care for it either time.
    Maybe they should stick to burgers.

Iron Starr hands down. Sounds like Billy Sims is not clean. Earl's is not a destination place. Steve's Ribs is too greasy for me. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Might want to check out many of the posts here. This is not a new topic.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...&highlight=bbq

nm

Prunepicker,
    I agree about BBQ and other styles of food for that matter. All you/we can do is give our opinions. Have you ever tried Jack Stacks in Kansas City? We really enjoyed the BBQ and the portions were very nice too. Earl's Cheddar burger is very good but I don't care for the BBQ. We need another Tom's Oak Lawn, Portland, and Pulliam's in OKC. I don't like talking about County Line. I never had anything I cared for there so I quit trying it years ago. Oops, I forgot Hans, I don't know anybody that didn't like Hans.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    BBQ is very personal. What someone might think is out of this
    world
    another may think is awful.
    Arthur Bryant and Gates in Kansas City are my all time
    favorites.

I don't care for Earl's and didn't like County Line at all.

Bluedogok,
    Posted to Prunepicker before I read your post. So, I repeated your Jack Stack remark. Oklahoma Station is pretty good, I've been there a couple of times in the last year. There is also a pretty good one in the Mid/Del area and I think it's called Mr. Spriggs. There is also one on Waterloo and it might be Mr. Spriggs also. The Del City place is on Air Depot at about South East 10th. Another pretty good place is JT's on Sunnylane just South of Reno.
    C. T.

Rays Barbeque on Lindsey Street in Norman...great !!!

My favorite is Billy Simms mainly for the pulled pork. Mr. Spriggs is a great destination for mere personality, ribs and daring somebody to eat their 9-11 sauce.

i had Rudy's breakfast for the first time last week. Their brisket breakfast burrito was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    My favorite is Billy Simms mainly for the pulled pork. Mr. Spriggs is a great destination for mere personality, ribs and daring somebody to eat their 9-11 sauce.
    Every time I order the 911 sauce, they always ask me if I'm sure I want it. :-) I've found Mr. Spriggs to be the best in the metro so far, but haven't eaten at tons of other BBQ places to verify. Earl's, Rib Crib, Billy Sims, OK Station are all adequate, but no more than that (and Earl's and Rib Crib are less than that). Mr. Spriggs' mini sweet potato pies are pretty good too.

Not sure if my memories are being viewed through rose-colored glasses or not, but I remember Piggy's in Bricktown as being really good BBQ, at least when they were still in that little cinder-block building, shame they're not still around....

16. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I've thrown my hat into this ring before on another thread..... My local favorites are Iron Starr and Rudy's. That said we do Earl's probably the most often, simply because of their location.

OKC BBQ is a tricky mistress.

I think the best BBQ in town, currently, can be had at Bedlam BBQ. They just seem to fire out the most consistent, tasty meats in the city.

A year ago, I would have said George's Happy Hog, but sadly, George passed away, and the place has lost its edge since. It is still good, but it isn't the same without George.

If they like the original Arthur Bryant's, they might enjoy a trip to Leo's, it has the same "feel" that the downtown Bryant's has.

Best BBQ in Oklahoma is up the turnpike at Oklahoma Joe's in Tulsa. It is the real deal. Everytime I go there, I beg them to expand down to OKC, but Joe just laughs and says "maybe in a year or so...".

Quote Originally Posted by Mantison View Post

I think the best BBQ in town, currently, can be had at Bedlam BBQ. They just seem to fire out the most consistent, tasty meats in the city.

A year ago, I would have said George's Happy Hog, but sadly, George passed away, and the place has lost its edge since. It is still good, but it isn't the same without George.

If they like the original Arthur Bryant's, they might enjoy a trip to Leo's, it has the same "feel" that the downtown Bryant's has.

Best BBQ in Oklahoma is up the turnpike at Oklahoma Joe's in Tulsa. It is the real deal. Everytime I go there, I beg them to expand down to OKC, but Joe just laughs and says "maybe in a year or so...".
    As far as the sheer quality of the bbq meat cookery is concerned, Bedlam is the best in the city right now. I'm surprised to see people mention Billy Simms, which does not even appear to smoke their meats on site. I have my doubts as to whether anything they serve is actually dry smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantison View Post

Okla Joes has been open less than about 6 months in Tulsa. They weren't open in late November.

Usually with BBQ the more someone talks it up, there will be 2 more to run it down.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Oops, I forgot Hans, I don't know anybody that didn't like Hans.
    C. T.
    I forgot about Han's too. It was pretty good. Glen's Hick'ry Pit
    was good but sometimes not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Every time I order the 911 sauce, they always ask me if I'm sure I want it. :-) I've found Mr. Spriggs to be the best in the metro so far, but haven't eaten at tons of other BBQ places to verify. Earl's, Rib Crib, Billy Sims, OK Station are all adequate, but no more than that (and Earl's and Rib Crib are less than that). Mr. Spriggs' mini sweet potato pies are pretty good too.

Not sure if my memories are being viewed through rose-colored glasses or not, but I remember Piggy's in Bricktown as being really good BBQ, at least when they were still in that little cinder-block building, shame they're not still around....

God, I miss Piggys. And you are right, it was better in the little building where Bricktown Burgers is now.

Dale's makes the best chopped beef...But for pulled pork and fried okra I gotta go with Earl's

Mantison, I went to George's Happy Hog a few times. Everything was good but the beans were the very best I've ever had. I always got a couple pints to go. Are the beans still the same now? I hardly ever get near the place anymore, probably not since before George died.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    This commercial has always made me happy!

Thread Information