Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I don't know about others but I don't care to eat at a BBQ joint that has a
    waitress hand you a menu. There's something very wrong about that. I
    wanna look up at the board with the misspellings and missing letters.

McNeely's in Memphis is an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I don't know about others but I don't care to eat at a BBQ joint that has a
    waitress hand you a menu. There's something very wrong about that. I
    wanna look up at the board with the misspellings and missing letters.

McNeely's in Memphis is an exception.
    I'm with you on that. I mean, I will try a BBQ joint with a menu, but it doesn't compare to the scribbled chalkboard. The best BBQ always seems to come from places where the aesthetic is least important. Of course, that makes sense because if you have really, really good BBQ, no one cares what decorations you have on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I've written OKC off for good brisket. Too many Okies seem to prefer sliced brisket to be void of all flavor, moisture, and fat. So that's how most places serve it.

Unfortunately you have to make a 6 hour drive south for good brisket, short of cooking it in your own backyard..... Well I have found a few exceptions outside the OKC Metro. Mud Creek BBQ in Ringling and Smokin' Joe's in Davis both serve some decent brisket.
    agree with this 100%, once you've had brisket in and around Austin or the hill country, Oklahoma brisket and BBQ just isn't the same. For me, now that I've had brisket at Franklin's in Austin, its ruined me everywhere else.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    ... agree with this 100%, once you've had brisket in and around Austin or
    the hill country, Oklahoma brisket and BBQ just isn't the same. For me, now
    that I've had brisket at Franklin's in Austin, its ruined me everywhere else.
    I've had some mighty bad Texas bbq. Dickie's immediately comes to mind.
    Absolutely horrid.

Texas is famous for Pit Bbq. Is that only for private parties? Is there a bbq
    joint that serves up Pit Bbq? How about Franklin's? Any place in the Hill
    Country?

5. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I've had some mighty bad Texas bbq. Dickie's immediately comes to mind.
    Absolutely horrid.

Texas is famous for Pit Bbq. Is that only for private parties? Is there a bbq
    joint that serves up Pit Bbq? How about Franklin's? Any place in the Hill
    Country?
    Dickie's has been described as a black mold spreading from Texas.

Not all Texas BBQ is the same. There are several regional variations in the state.

With the exception of Pecan Lodge in the Dallas area. Most of what gets served around the DFW area is comparable to what you will find in OKC.

Austin/Hill Country BBQ is very simply flavored, mostly with salt and black pepper, and is smoked using post oak and some pecan.

BBQ in the Houston area seems to be the black sheep of the state. I have not made it to Houston yet to try their style of BBQ but most of the Texas bloggers make negative comments about that regions BBQ.

Get further east in TX and you'll run across these little sausages that are made from what most spoiled American diners would never put in their mouth and the closer you get to the Mexican border the more the Latino influence appears in their BBQ.

As to your question about TX pit bbq.... No, Franklin's is not pit bbq. I'm pretty sure Aaron uses log burning offset smokers. Probably the closest to pit bbq you will find is going to be Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX. Their pit is a carnivores dream. Most of the places in Lockhart, Luling, Elgin and that area use big L shaped brick pits with a post oak fire burning on both ends and a flue in the middle to draw the heat and smoke across the meat.

^^^
    We could hang out together
    Franklins is my favorite and then Luie Mueller and finally Smittys. Luling City Market is real good in Luling, not a fan of Kreuz or Blacks. I also LOVE me some Country Tavern in Kilgore.
    Haven't eaten at Pecan Lodge yet, tried to on Friday and they were out of food, the wife shopped too long.

I haven't found an ounce of BBQ in OK that I would compare with Texas BBQ.

7. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    ^^^
    We could hang out together
    Franklins is my favorite and then Luie Mueller and finally Smittys. Luling City Market is real good in Luling, not a fan of Kreuz or Blacks. I also LOVE me some Country Tavern in Kilgore.
    Haven't eaten at Pecan Lodge yet, tried to on Friday and they were out of food, the wife shopped too long.

I haven't found an ounce of BBQ in OK that I would compare with Texas BBQ.
    I did not make it to Franklin's on my last trip. I drove by and there were people lined up about an hour before they were open in the middle of a very cold and heavy downpour.

The brisket I ate at Snow's BBQ in Lexington was incredible. A bright light from heaven shined down upon me as I ate it. =+)

Here is a link to my blog about my last trip to central Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Out in NC I didn't find a single BBQ place that I thought was decent, and couldn't stand their vinegar-based pork.
    And this is exacty why it is impossible to name a "best BBQ" anywhere. To me, pulled pork with a little of that "Carolina style" vinegar-based sauce is the epitome of excellent BBQ. Although I like other styles as well. Just not as much. Mr. Spriggs/Mr. Tees was/were always good, but they don't have my favorite BBQ. With the Carolina style sauce. =)

9. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    And this is exacty why it is impossible to name a "best BBQ" anywhere. To me, pulled pork with a little of that "Carolina style" vinegar-based sauce is the epitome of excellent BBQ. Although I like other styles as well. Just not as much. Mr. Spriggs/Mr. Tees was/were always good, but they don't have my favorite BBQ. With the Carolina style sauce. =)
    Agreed. BBQ may be one of the most subjective foods on the planet and it's why, unlike other BBQ bloggers, I refuse to give rankings on my blog and suggest that the reader gets out and tries it for themselves.

Ain't nuttin' wrong with Carolina treasures when it comes to Q. It's definitely a different flavor, but in a good way all its own.
    That said, my now grown lads just don't much care for it. Last time it was available, I just shrugged it off as their loss and made sure their share did not go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by ok bbq eater anonymous
    Here is a link to my blog about my last trip to central Texas.
    well... so much for being productive this morning. i really enjoyed reading your site!

several people on this site have asked over the years and i'm curious for myself: are there any places near the okc metro that serve beef ribs? -M

12. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Thanks, I really enjoy running the site.

Unfortunately the answer to your question is no.... Oklahoma Line (later County Line which is an Austin based company) was the only place in Oklahoma that I had ever found that served them.

Beef Ribs appear to be almost a Texas only option now and even then it seems to be more of a central Texas thing.

My next Texas road trip is going to be based around places that serve beef ribs.

OK BBQ Eater Anonymous:
    1) How can I abbreviate that like RadMod or Dub or Pete?
    2) Have you ever been down to New Braunfels Smokehouse? I loves me anything they do (but mostly their jerkey). Would you consider their offerings up in your BBQ fare? or does it not meet the cut as BBQ per se?

14. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    OK BBQ Eater Anonymous:
    1) How can I abbreviate that like RadMod or Dub or Pete?
    2) Have you ever been down to New Braunfels Smokehouse? I loves me anything they do (but mostly their jerkey). Would you consider their offerings up in your BBQ fare? or does it not meet the cut as BBQ per se?
    1) OKBBQEA is the acronym I use.

2) I have not been there but I'll add it to my list of places to check out. Thanks!

I never did make it over to Franklin's before I moved away from Austin, the few times that I tried they were already out of food, this was when he was still in the parking lot before moving. Never did make it to Snow's either. Salt Lick is the only "pit" BBQ that I know of in the Central Texas area, there might be others. I though Lockhart was overrated, out of the places there I preferred Black's, but I would rather have gone to Louis Mueller's in Taylor or Cooper's in Llano. The Hard 8 in Stephenville (west of Fort Worth) was pretty good as well, never tried the one in Brady. I had a lot of average BBQ in the Hill Country, there are some gems but there is a bunch of average. The worst was Easy Pickens BBQ in Harper, I usually give a place a second chance because BBQ can be inconsistent but I didn't think that place was worthy of a second chance. We went to Rudy's about once a week, it was just convenient since it was in town and always had food unlike a place like Franklin's. The places out of town were usually a motorcycle ride destination, our motto was Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride.

As far as beef ribs the only place other than County Line that I had found them at was The Salt Lick and that was only a special on occasion. My wife likes them and our dog did as well since those were stout enough bones for her, I am not a rib fan, I cleaned up too many of them when I was a busboy at Han's. There is a place here in Denver (Brothers BBQ) that has beef ribs on the menu, they also have a price on the menu board for "1 Rib".

I still prefer the variety of sides and sauces available in Oklahoma compared to Central Texas but the meat is hard to beat. I just don't subscribe to the "meat market" mentality of a bunch of the places there like Kreuz, that is fine if you are taking it home but I want a complete meal if I an riding or driving any kind of distance.

There is a wide variety of woods used in Central Texas and it seems to be where you learned the trade and what is native to the area as to the kind of woods that are typically used. The further west you go the more mesquite that is used, east uses more oak wood.

I am hungry for BBQ now

I already tried Pig's Van Stand and Billy Sims which are both good so what other BBQ places do you reccomend?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    I am hungry for BBQ now

I already tried Pig's Van Stand and Billy Sims which are both good so what
    other BBQ places do you recommend?
    I like Van's. I ask them for crispy fries and they accommodate. They are
    very consistent and I've not been disappointed.

MonkeesFan,
    I mentioned JT's earlier and right now, I think it's as good as you will find in the OKC area. The only problem is their hours. See their web page for details. Oklahoma City BBQ | J.T.’s Barbeque and Catering.
    C. T.
    I am hungry for BBQ now

I already tried Pig's Van Stand and Billy Sims which are both good so what other BBQ places do you reccomend?

I am hungry for BBQ now

Never been to to Billy Sims but I hear that is good. My Fav is Steve's Rib in Edmond. George's Happy Hog use to have great HOT BBQ sauce but I think they just use head country now as I saw their bottles in the back (not bad but not as good as the HOT stuff the had). I buy HC for home use but want an original when I go out.... Earls is okay, I just wish they had better sauce. I will tell you where NOT to go, Dickie's on 63'd and May. That has to be the worst service, BBQ, sauce, serving size I have ever had in my life!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    MonkeesFan,
    I mentioned JT's earlier and right now, I think it's as good as you will find in the OKC area. The only problem is their hours. See their web page for details. Oklahoma City BBQ | J.T.’s Barbeque and Catering.
    C. T.
    Those are terrible hours but I will give it a try! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sooners83 View Post
    Never been to to Billy Sims but I hear that is good. My Fav is Steve's Rib in Edmond. George's Happy Hog use to have great HOT BBQ sauce but I think they just use head country now as I saw their bottles in the back (not bad but not as good as the HOT stuff the had). I buy HC for home use but want an original when I go out.... Earls is okay, I just wish they had better sauce. I will tell you where NOT to go, Dickie's on 63'd and May. That has to be the worst service, BBQ, sauce, serving size I have ever had in my life!
    Edmond is pretty far from me (45 minutes) but I will give it a try but I can not eat hot stuff so I just have to eat the regular stuff, yeah Earl's have good food but their sauce is meh

MonkeesFan,
    There is a Steve's on Hefner and Rockwell. Just West of Rockwell actually.
    C. T.
    Edmond is pretty far from me (45 minutes) but I will give it a try but I can not eat hot stuff so I just have to eat the regular stuff, yeah Earl's have good food but their sauce is meh

23. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I wasn't about to read through 8 pages to see if Bedlam had been mentioned and the search engine on the forum is crapola - but one of my BBQ regular spots now is Bedlam BBQ on Lincoln. Went there today as a matter of fact - mainly because my experience at Blu's BBQ was so terrible.

Bedlam was PACKED, but as usual, very good and fast service. Did the two meet combo (ribs/bologna) with mac-n-cheese and baked beans. Did the bread pudding for dessert - unbelievable!

BB,
    I enjoyed Bedlam several times but haven't been in a while. I need to go there next. Glad to hear it's still pretty good.
    C. T.

Steve's used to be really good at there old place, but when they moved it seemed like there food went down several notches

I still haven't found a BBQ spot in OKC that I really enjoy going to and would drive out of my way for

Thread Information