Widgets Magazine
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

1. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Wow.... Wonder if the building was a total loss... Article just says the roof collapsed but I don't know enough about structural engineering to know if that can be fixed without taking down the rest of the structure.

I have't been to BurnCo in several years but I agree at one time they were hands down the best in the state, the BBQ game has definitely stepped up in the last few years so they have some challengers, and the only BBQ joint, at the time, that you had to stand in line to get in. And at their original location in the strip mall if you got there after noon they were probably already sold out.
    I used to work a lot with a company that only did fire, water and other insurance rebuilds. Whether the walls can stay depends. If it's an all steel structure an engineer would have to determine if the wall steel got hot enough to weaken it. If it's concrete block then the walls can almost certainly stay.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Finally made it to Clark Crew after being so loyal to Jo Bawbs for so long. JB was out of burnt ends so I stopped and picked up ends and brisket from CC. The brisket was very good, but I was really disappointed in the burnt ends. I paid about $30 for them and it was heavily just chunks of fat. I like fat juicy bbq, but not big chunks. For others that go to CC, is this normal, or did I get a bad batch? For $75 for two meats, okra and Brussels sprouts, I expect premium meat.

3. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Finally made it to Clark Crew after being so loyal to Jo Bawbs for so long. JB was out of burnt ends so I stopped and picked up ends and brisket from CC. The brisket was very good, but I was really disappointed in the burnt ends. I paid about $30 for them and it was heavily just chunks of fat. I like fat juicy bbq, but not big chunks. For others that go to CC, is this normal, or did I get a bad batch? For $75 for two meats, okra and Brussels sprouts, I expect premium meat.
    I love CCs burnt ends. I've never had them be overly fatty.

$75 for two meats? What was the weight of it?

I keep saying I should give CC another try. But Jo Bawbs is so damn good, I just don't want to take that chance. This story is making feel like I'm making the right call.

Blog Entries

I think they are both about $30 per pound.
    My order included two cornbread pieces and okra.

7. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    I keep saying I should give CC another try. But Jo Bawbs is so damn good, I just don't want to take that chance. This story is making feel like I'm making the right call.
    I went to CC for the first time last week, and was very underwhelmed. We went for lunch on a workday, so I opted for the burnt end sandwich with baked beans vs. a platter. The burnt ends were very dry with no sauce (was fine with no sauce), and the portion size was extremely small for the price (sandwich was ~$20). I'm a huge fan of Edge Craft, so was expecting to pay a premium, but was overall underwhelmed. I'll go back for dinner when I can try a platter, but with how infrequently I eat BBQ it may be awhile before I make it back.

Had CC this weekend and it was ok.

pork ribs where good but not great, okra was really good but you don't much for sides and the mac n cheese was soupy.

Earls, Backdoor, and Iron Star are all way better IMO

Earls has gone the cheaper route in the post-pandemic supply chain ordeal in order to keep the prices as low as possible. You can taste the difference. I've been pretty disappointed with them lately. I've found Steve's Rib in Edmond to have kept their quality meats and their prices reflect it as well.

10. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Earls has gone the cheaper route in the post-pandemic supply chain ordeal in order to keep the prices as low as possible. You can taste the difference. I've been pretty disappointed with them lately. I've found Steve's Rib in Edmond to have kept their quality meats and their prices reflect it as well.
    In my wife and my opinion Earls went cheap or just changed the recipe or something a few years before COVID. It used to be our favorite Saturday no stop but they changed the seasonings on the ribs & brisket and we haven't been back.

Earls on Western is bomb we love their pork ribs and sides, way better than clark crew which is overrated.

Last time we got earls was three weeks and the ribs taste the same to me.

I'm sure if Clark personally made me some ribs and brisket it would be great but they mass produce so much its just ok.

Oops, just realized you all replied to my comment haha, forgot I posted on here...oh well

12. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    Earls on Western is bomb we love their pork ribs and sides, way better than clark crew which is overrated.

Last time we got earls was three weeks and the ribs taste the same to me.

I'm sure if Clark personally made me some ribs and brisket it would be great but they mass produce so much its just ok.

Oops, just realized you all replied to my comment haha, forgot I posted on here...oh well
    Our issues started when they built the one on Memorial. We had always gone to Edmond but Memorial was different. Then we went back to Edmond and they had changed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Our issues started when they built the one on Memorial. We had always gone to Edmond but Memorial was different. Then we went back to Edmond and they had changed too.
    So is Earls on Western a chain? If so I did not know that, I recently got into bbq about a year ago and grew up having central texas/hill country bbq in san antonio.

14. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

So is Earls on Western a chain?
    Yes

15. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

So is Earls on Western a chain? If so I did not know that, I recently got into bbq about a year ago and grew up having central texas/hill country bbq in san antonio.
    Yes. Earl's is a local chain. At least central Oklahoma and I don't know if it's beyond that.

16. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

It's a mini-chain with 6 local locations. We grew up eating at the Earl's on Western, and we still go occasionally. Their BBQ isn't anything to write home about, but I love their hot BBQ sauce, 3rd degree buffalo wings, smokestack sandwich and burger. For the price, it's a pretty good option... especially if you go in with the understanding that it's not going to win any BBQ competitions.

17. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Yes. Earl's is a local chain. At least central Oklahoma and I don't know if it's beyond that.
    The 6 locations in the OKC metro area is all they have.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    It's a mini-chain with 6 local locations. We grew up eating at the Earl's on Western, and we still go occasionally. Their BBQ isn't anything to write home about, but I love their hot BBQ sauce, 3rd degree buffalo wings, smokestack sandwich and burger. For the price, it's a pretty good option... especially if you go in with the understanding that it's not going to win any BBQ competitions.
    Yeah, it isn't the best I've had but we like it and it is close and decently priced with large sides.

I think a few people mentioned Texlahoma and their bbq does look really good I'll have to take the wife there as well as bedlam bbq.

My wife is from OKC and she said Leo's use to be her favorite back in the day but said it isn't as good and I've never had it.

Best bbq I have ever had is 2M smokehouse in San Antonio and County Line in Austin but I really want to try La BBQ, Franklins and valentines bbq in Austin but the lines are so long.

Yeah, it isn't the best I've had but we like it and it is close and decently priced with large sides.

I think a few people mentioned Texlahoma and their bbq does look really good I'll have to take the wife there as well as bedlam bbq.

My wife is from OKC and she said Leo's use to be her favorite back in the day but said it isn't as good and I've never had it.

Best bbq I have ever had is 2M smokehouse in San Antonio and County Line in Austin but I really want to try La BBQ, Franklins and valentines bbq in Austin but the lines are so long.
    Article this morning about the Texas BBQ scene https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/t...ity/index.html

20. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I went to Butcher BBQ Stand in Wellston for lunch yesterday. I had been there several times before, but it had been a few years since my last visit. What the hell happened to this place? I got there at 11:00 and there was a 50 minute wait. I was expecting that, but what surprised me was the low quality of the BBQ. The brisket (which used to be the best I've ever had) was bland and had no smoky flavor at all. The ribs were slathered in a sweet BBQ sauce that overwhelmed the meat. The turkey was moist and overall good (though not as good as Edge Craft). The sausage was good, but the cheese jalapeño sausage was just so so. I am going to have to hear a great review from someone I trust to make the 45 minute drive and stand in line for another 50 minutes to even consider going back.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I went to Butcher BBQ Stand in Wellston for lunch yesterday. I had been there several times before, but it had been a few years since my last visit. What the hell happened to this place? I got there at 11:00 and there was a 50 minute wait. I was expecting that, but what surprised me was the low quality of the BBQ. The brisket (which used to be the best I've ever had) was bland and had no smoky flavor at all. The ribs were slathered in a sweet BBQ sauce that overwhelmed the meat. The turkey was moist and overall good (though not as good as Edge Craft). The sausage was good, but the cheese jalapeño sausage was just so so. I am going to have to hear a great review from someone I trust to make the 45 minute drive and stand in line for another 50 minutes to even consider going back.
    my recent experience was very similar. used to go a few times a year, and this is the fist time i have gone since covid. i feel like they have upped the price while lowering the quality of cut they are using. and the worst part with my group when we went, is that the food seemed to be just barely above room temperate when it was served to us. I don't know what they are storing the meat in before they cut it each time, but it certainly wasn't hot food. i'm not sure if i will be going back when we have places in OKC (edgecraft and clark crew) that i think are a far superior product now by comparison. and maybe that is what it really is. maybe it hasn't changed that much, but my expectations of good bbq in oklahoma have changed?

22. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I’d be interested in hearing folks’ opinions on Bibb’s BBQ in Bricktown, which took over the old Mantel space on the corner of Sheridan and Mickey Mantle (Walnut) at the bottom of the Walnut Street Bridge. Here’s their website

I’ve been a few times, and have had generally a really good experience. This is a food truck to brick and mortar transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I’d be interested in hearing folks’ opinions on Bibb’s BBQ in Bricktown, which took over the old Mantel space on the corner of Sheridan and Mickey Mantle (Walnut) at the bottom of the Walnut Street Bridge. Here’s their website

I’ve been a few times, and have had generally a really good experience. This is a food truck to brick and mortar transition.
    Looks good, especially the smoked tacos. We will have to try it. If you recall, do they have an actual lunch menu? They mention often on their FB page to check out lunch combos but never tell you what they actually are.

24. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

I don't know about a food truck, but they used to be on E Alameda out by Lake Thunderbird. I went one time and thought it was OK, but too far to return. I'll give them another try since they are closer, but I have to admit I've been spoiled with Edge Craft. Hard to match their quality.

I went to Bibb's a few weeks ago with my family. I don't eat meat so my review of the BBQ is hearsay but everyone really enjoyed their meals. I had the Mac and Cheese, fried okra, onion rings and cole slaw and enjoyed all 4 very much. They had a lot of sides for me to choose from so I have not problem eating there as a vegetarian for what it's worth. The decor does not appear to have changed at all from the Mantel so it is a more upscale experience than most BBQ restaurants. I actually appreciated that aspect and explains how they got open so fast after the announcement.

Thread Information