Widgets Magazine
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I have been told I needed to try Corner Market but if the description of those ribs is accurate.... I'll be going to try the fried pork chop to see if it's as good as the one at Han-D-Sak rather than the ribs.... Not a fan of ribs that "slough off the bone".

Also don't put much into Louis Fowler's BBQ reviews since his last one listed a place that had been closed for two years as one of his current Top 5 favorites.
    The picture of the ribs is more telling than his description I believe. Those ribs look good, and they look like they aren't exactly falling off the bone.

2. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I agree the picture didn't appear to match the description but I've had competition ribs that looked really good and then went to pick them up and could tell immediately they were overcooked. So looks can be deceiving.

And I'm also not saying there is anything wrong with overcooked ribs. A lot of people prefer them that way... I'm just not one of those people.

I have been told I needed to try Corner Market but if the description of those ribs is accurate.... I'll be going to try the fried pork chop to see if it's as good as the one at Han-D-Sak rather than the ribs.... Not a fan of ribs that "slough off the bone".

Also don't put much into Louis Fowler's BBQ reviews since his last one listed a place that had been closed for two years as one of his current Top 5 favorites.
    Yeah, Louis's reviews in general are not really that great - entertaining to read, but not really places I want to go (with the exceptions of Taco Rico and Mariscos Mazatlan - haven't been to them, but they sound good). And yeah, ribs that fall off the bone are bad, and not sure how you get them so the bones snap in half easily... I should've put a smiley in the post, 'cos it was mainly for the humor factor...

4. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    ...and not sure how you get them so the bones snap in half easily.
    Could be done in a pressure cooker.... I saw a pressure smoker at a restaurant food show a few years back that might do it too.

It worked with a single wood chip and actually turned out some tasty food.... Notice I said food and not BBQ.

^

And according to Louis, I guess I am now one of the "usual suspects" "touting gentrified smoked meats".

Or could it be that Maples and Todd Woodruff actually put in a ton of work and money to try and bring real BBQ to OKC?

6. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

And according to Louis, I guess I am now one of the "usual suspects" "touting gentrified smoked meats".

Or could it be that Maples and Todd Woodruff actually put in a ton of work and money to try and bring really BBQ to OKC?
    I think his poke was probably aimed more towards Cathey and Elwell after they flooded social media the day of the soft opening with comments that the bar had been raised for BBQ in OKC..

^

Haha I know, but I'm sure I was being lumped in with them.

However, it is true that both are effectively PR for the local restaurants. Neither ever offers anything approaching a critical review, which I'm sure is down to their respective employers.

8. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

However, it is true that both are effectively PR for the local restaurants. Neither ever offers anything approaching a critical review, which I'm sure is down to their respective employers.
    Agreed...... I'm sure they are very firmly planted under the "If you don't have something good to say don't say it at all." thumb.

It's something I've always struggled with as a blogger, and I've intentionally never tried to quantify myself as a food critic or reviewer thus describing myself as a "two-bit, hack, wanna-be, Q-Blogger" but knowing how much work and effort goes into running a restaurant... It's hard sometimes to be brutally honest with my opinion knowing it can affect their lives.....

But by remaining mostly anonymous, independent, and having no capital involved in my venture other than my own personal money I spent driving around eating BBQ.... I've been able to share an unbiased opinion in my blogs.... Which I have also been given credit for by some in the BBQ world..... Albeit ones that I spoke favorably of... lol ... A few of the ones that didn't agree with my opinions have not had such nice things to say about me.

9. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Did a small cook for 100 people at a graduation party this weekend. Everyone likes my pulled pork but this was my first time serving Central Texas style brisket to a crowd... Got a lot of compliments on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brisket Prep.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	13847

Name:	Brisket 1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	13845

Name:	Brisket 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	13846

Name:	Pork Prep.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	13850

Name:	Pork 2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	13849

Name:	Pork 1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	13848

Did a small cook for 100 people at a graduation party this weekend. Everyone likes my pulled pork but this was my first time serving Central Texas style brisket to a crowd... Got a lot of compliments on it.

Name:	Brisket Prep.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	13847

Name:	Brisket 1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	13845

Name:	Brisket 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	13846

Name:	Pork Prep.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	13850

Name:	Pork 2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	13849

Name:	Pork 1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	13848
    What was the raw cost of the meat for 100 people?

11. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    What was the raw cost of the meat for 100 people?
    Around $120 at the US Foods Chef Store..... That was 2 - 10 lb CAB briskets and 4 - 9 lb pork butts.

Around $120 at the US Foods Chef Store..... That was 2 - 10 lb CAB briskets and 4 - 9 lb pork butts.
    I have yet to go in this place...

Other than meat, do you buy anything else here?

Seems to be a lot like Sam's but perhaps more aimed at the restaurant business?

13. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I have yet to go in this place...

Other than meat, do you buy anything else here?

Seems to be a lot like Sam's but perhaps more aimed at the restaurant business?
    You are pretty much correct with that assessment... It's bulk items and restaurant based.... I mostly just buy meat there but will occasionally buy other accessories there. I prefer Restaurant Depot because the prices are slightly better but occasionally use Chef Store for the convenience.

Restaurant Depot is further from me and I have to check in with customer service to verify that I'm a KCBS member. KCBS has a working deal with Restaurant Depot for all members to be able to shop there without providing a Tax ID number for membership purposes.

I stopped going to Chef Store as often when they stopped carrying beef short ribs. I did notice that they had shoulder clod now and that's a cut of meat I've wanted to try smoking after trying it in Texas. Chef Store and Restaurant Depot also carry Certified Angus Beef which is guaranteed to be at least choice grade.... Sam's only carries select briskets.... I'm good with cooking a select brisket for my own consumption but when I'm serving others I want at least a choice grade brisket.

^

Very helpful. I need to go in Chef's Store and just see if there is anything for me, mainly for big parties and entertaining.

BTW, Costco has a few restaurant and business focused stores around.

I used to go to the one in Ingelwood (SoCal) and bought bulk glasses and other things for my big parties.

Completely different from the Sam's Club at I-44 and May which is supposed to be business-oriented and I can't see hardly any difference from their typical stores. These Costco's are very different than of their other stores.

16. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

BTW, Costco has a few restaurant and business focused stores around.

I used to go to the one in Ingelwood (SoCal) and bought bulk glasses and other things for my big parties.

Completely different from the Sam's Club at I-44 and May which is supposed to be business-oriented and I can't see hardly any difference from their typical stores. These Costco's are very different than of their other stores.
    Maybe we can get one here some day.... These big restaurant focused supply stores are dangerous to my pocket book though.... I took a friend to Restaurant Depot that was doing a big cook for a family reunion and we both about had to take out loans to get out of the place.... lol

Actually I'm fairly disciplined... Most of my new toys are bought with the profits I make off the hand full of caterings I do in a year.

^

Very helpful. I need to go in Chef's Store and just see if there is anything for me, mainly for big parties and entertaining.
    Party at Pete's and the whole internet is invited. The invitation and directions in the youtube link. Kyle will be there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MAsugGFZVXE

18. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Klemm's Smoke Haus in Edmond just announced they will be adding beef ribs to their menu.

So in the last few months that brings the count of Central Oklahoma Q-Raunts serving beef ribs up from zero to three.

Texlahoma BBQ, Maples Barbecue, and now Klemm's Smoke Haus.

The picture they posted on FB looked like beef back ribs, rather than the meatier plate short ribs. They also didn't mention if it was weekends only as Texlahoma and Maples are offering, or if it would be a daily menu item.

Klemm's Smoke Haus in Edmond just announced they will be adding beef ribs to their menu.

So in the last few months that brings the count of Central Oklahoma Q-Raunts serving beef ribs up from zero to three.

Texlahoma BBQ, Maples Barbecue, and now Klemm's Smoke Haus.

The picture they posted on FB looked like beef back ribs, rather than the meatier plate short ribs. They also didn't mention if it was weekends only as Texlahoma and Maples are offering, or if it would be a daily menu item.
    Neat! I thought those things were a dying breed around here - last time I remember getting the big beef ribs was waaay back when the "Oklahoma Line" was still around - and in its heyday, known as the "County Line" and they were *awesome*. Sadly, that's been a long time ago. May have to give one of these places a try!

20. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Neat! I thought those things were a dying breed around here
    I did too but for now they are off the endangered meats list in Central OK.... Haven't heard of anyone else in Oklahoma starting to serve them yet..... Just wish someone in Oklahoma would start carrying slabs as nice as the ones I get from Hess Meat Market in Meunster TX for cooking at home.

Does Texas de Brazil count? They have em too.

22. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Does Texas de Brazil count? They have em too.
    I don't really consider them BBQ but the ones they serve are excellent.... I refer to them as meat butter they are so rich and silky.

23. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I did too but for now they are off the endangered meats list in Central OK.... Haven't heard of anyone else in Oklahoma starting to serve them yet..... Just wish someone in Oklahoma would start carrying slabs as nice as the ones I get from Hess Meat Market in Meunster TX for cooking at home.
    I've bought a couple of slabs at Artisan Pride here in Norman. Honestly they turned out great but the meat wasn't the best quality that I have seen before.

24. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I've bought a couple of slabs at Artisan Pride here in Norman. Honestly they turned out great but the meat wasn't the best quality that I have seen before.
    Yeah.... Artisan Pride is where I usually go to get them locally too.

I've also heard Sam's has them but they sell them by the case. Have not tried asking them if they will break open a case and sell them as singles.

Most of the carnicerias around town slice them into strips and marinate them for grilling. I need to find out if any of them would sell them to me as a slab.

the last few times i've bought beef short ribs was at wheeler's... they typically keep individually sliced ribs on display in the case, but they have slabs in cryovac in back that they're usually willing to grab for you.

i've also checked with rogers meat market (*really* liked their hot links) and they say that they carry them... but i haven't actually bought from them.

as for artisan's pride... i really like the place... the staff seem really knowledgeable and eager to help. besides the place being a bit out of the way for me, especially with lindsey all torn up... i didn't really think the quality of the steak was worth the trouble. the last couple steaks i purchased from them i kind of felt that i could've gotten similar quality from crest's meat counter.

Thread Information