Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    I'm excited for Back Door BBQ to open on 23rd. I've been nothing but disappointed with Bubbas, and have been there several times hoping the quality would improve.
    Bubba's is very good at two things: their baked beans are the best around. Also, their brisket is very good and quite moist, unlike most of the dried-out brisket served throughout Oklahoma.

I did meet George before he died. He told me that if you eat good ribs, they shouldn't make you burp. I thought about it for a minute and remembered that kind of faint burpy feeling you often get when you chow down on BBQ ribs.

So I gave George's Happy Hog the "burp test," and they passed with flying colors. Kind of an odd thing, but certainly worth noting.

Not OKC metro, but I ate at the Lockhart smokehouse in Dallas earlier this week. It's run by the granddaughter of the guy who bought kreuz market in Lockhart, tx in the 40s. Great flavorful brisket and habanero Mac n cheese. Got their too late to try the sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Jake's Rib is the tourist BBQ in Chickasha. Locals will all tell you that Roy's is the real deal -- and it is.
    Jakes was pretty good 20 or so years ago, the last time that I ate there (probably about 6 years ago) it was just bad.

I picked up a slab of ribs at Smokin Okies yesterday and they are very good. They didn't have sauce on them and they were tender, not "fallin off the bone" but good to put you teeth into. Next week, I will try the brisket.
    C. T.

My house...lol. Two briskets on the cookshack smoker as I write. Eating out though.....hole in the wall jacks on 39 th street is always consistently good when I go there. Vans is decent and the BBQ guy that used to be (may still be there...haven't been in awhile) that is in front of the buy for less ay 44 th and I-35 and sells it inside.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Was in town to watch my son race and we decided to try Bad Brad's Yukon location. Absolutely horrible, the ribs were not done and cold, okra was old and cold, fries were old and cold. But the sweet tea was good. Asked to speak to the manager, was told the manager wasn't there, asked to speak to the person in charge, the waitress told us there was no one in charge but I could stop by or call later to speak with the manager.
    Yeah, that place sucks. Apparently the only good one is the original in Pawhuska.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Yeah, that place sucks. Apparently the only good one is the original in Pawhuska.
    Been a good while since I was there, but I have fond memories of BB up Pawhuska way.

There was a Bad Brad's in Portland, Texas (between Aransas Pass and Corpus Christi) for about a year about 5 years ago. The next time that we went down there it was operating under a different name. Never really heard anything about it.

10. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

If you read my blog about Bad Brad's. I probably could have saved you a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    If you read my blog about Bad Brad's. I probably could have saved you a trip.
    Have you or anyone else ever tried Bedlam BBQ on Lincoln and NE 50th? I've driven by there several times, but never had the time to stop.

12. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

One of our favorites. Go for lunch on a regular basis. I always get the ribs - consistently good to very good. Desserts are really good too - they make my favorite bread pudding. Only thing is it can be difficult to find a seat during the lunch rush.

Favorite bread pudding? That's some really high praise there, I love me some bread pudding. I'll have to check it out one of these days.

14. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk405359 View Post
    Have you or anyone else ever tried Bedlam BBQ on Lincoln and NE 50th? I've driven by there several times, but never had the time to stop.
    I tried it about 4 years ago, before I started the blog, and it was good then. I did think it was a little pricey but they were really busy for lunch the day I was there.

I think I'll try and hit them up this month and get a blog posted for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk405359 View Post
    Favorite bread pudding? That's some really high praise there, I love me some bread pudding. I'll have to check it out one of these days.
    Next to peach cobbler with some raspberries on top I think bread pudding may be my favorite dessert.
    (and 50th and Lincoln ain't all that far away . . . I think BBQ there may be on tap for Wednesday lunch . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Next to peach cobbler with some raspberries on top I think bread pudding may be my favorite dessert.
    (and 50th and Lincoln ain't all that far away . . . I think BBQ there may be on tap for Wednesday lunch . . .)
    If you're ever down in Dallas and have a few extra (ok, a lot of extra) dollars burning a hole in your pocket, Rise N1 has the best rendition I ever had. Of course, it's not a cheap place, better to make an evening of it with someone you're trying to impress.

17. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I tried it about 4 years ago, before I started the blog, and it was good then. I did think it was a little pricey but they were really busy for lunch the day I was there.

I think I'll try and hit them up this month and get a blog posted for them.
    Please do, and I agree it is on the upper end of my lunch budget for such fare. However, that is probably a good thing - if it was cheaper the lines would be longer and my visits would be more frequent and that's not good on my waistline!

Well, I took my friend from London to Davis to try Smokin' Joes yesterday, and they are closed on Wednesdays! Fortunately, that wasn't the only reason we went South, but next time I will know. They don't have a web page so I didn't know they were closed.
    C. T.

I had tried Billy Sim's a couple of times but wasn't overly impressed. My mother on the other hand goes there at least once a week to get their Frito Chili Pie (made with brisket). A new location opened near the NW 23rd & Penn intersection and they had an all-you-can-eat rib special (Tuesday). These were some of the best ribs I have eaten in a long time. They were only 2nd to the ribs I had years ago at Corky's in Memphis. Tender, juicy, fall of the bone (I know that is heresy for some), excellently seasoned/flavored...so well done, I didn't even need any kind of sauce on them (although I did try some of the sauce on the 3rd or was it the 4th reorder just to see)...all of the sides I sampled were "C" to "A". I don't normally get ribs because it is hard for them to be consistent from one visit to the next (like brisket), so I may be disappointed the next time I go.

I like Steve's Rib in Edmond.

Steve's Rib used to be great but has gone waaaaay downhill the past 3 times I went (service & food quality)...on a positive note, went to Billy Sim's @ 23rd & Penn again Tuesday night for the all-u-can-eat ribs and there were just as good as the week before. They also added a couple of new sides...Mac & Cheese (solid A) & something they called "Loaded Potato Salad" (potatoe, sour cream(?), bacon bits)...not really sure about it, may be an acquired taste but it was new/different.

Had Leos yesterday. It was the best BBQ that I've had in years.

Excellent ribs that didn't need any sauce, great chopped beef that wasn't dry, excellent Bologna and hot links. I'm a huge fan of mountain view hotlinks that are made in OK and served at alot of Tulsa are BBQ joints but these were good too.

Some of the best Mac salad I've had in years (typically hate it) and the beans were good, but I've had better beans at other places.

^ Great to hear. It is still one of my favorite places. Need to go have a smoky lunch soon.

WilliamTell,
    In the OKC barbecue "heyday", the 60's-80's Leo's was right in there with Tom's Oaklawn, Pulliams, Han's, Georges (at about 63rd and Eastern) and others who's names escape me. At the original location, 36th and Kelley, I used to come out of Leo's with tears in my eyes because his air circulation was non-existent and proved the song "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes". I never cared for the mac salad and it always irritated me that there was "no substitution" on his lunch meals. His Hot sauce would blow you away, I always mixed it with the mild. I need to give the current restaurant a try.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    Had Leos yesterday. It was the best BBQ that I've had in years.

Excellent ribs that didn't need any sauce, great chopped beef that wasn't dry, excellent Bologna and hot links. I'm a huge fan of mountain view hotlinks that are made in OK and served at alot of Tulsa are BBQ joints but these were good too.

Some of the best Mac salad I've had in years (typically hate it) and the beans were good, but I've had better beans at other places.

CT - the original location at 36th and Kelley is the one that is open now. The one on 4th Street is closed (and sold I think.) I mix the sauces too and love coming out of there smelling like smoke for the rest of the day.

Thread Information