Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA All-Star game for Oklahoma

Default Re: NBA All-Star game for Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Hosting an NBA All Star Weekend of Events is going to require:

Where to eat after 10 p.m.(?), LOL Bobos' roach coach, Mama Lou's, Skyline and there's more that I wouldn't recommend.

Seriously, here are some of the major accommodation requirements:

18,000 - 20,000 quality hotels rooms and not counting Motel 6 or the I-35 hotel corridor or those rooms which rent by the hour if you know what I mean.

Many of our few quality eating establishments in Bricktown could adjust their closing times for an NBA All Star Event.

Where we stand? Oklahoma City has about 13,000 hotel rooms in the metro area. As for quality (?), that is the question.

We will definitely need at least two anchor hotels downtown with in excess of 700 rooms; something double the size of the Marriott Renaissance or the Marriott on the Northwest Expressway.

How do we increase hotel development? Building the Convention, Exposition & Trade events in our area--downtown and fairgrounds.

The new downtown convention center is going to be the key to spur a lot of development; we're just getting started and on the right track.

Right now, Tulsa would have a better chance of landing the NBA All Star Weekend than Oklahoma City. Ouch! We've got a lot of building ahead.
    being that tulsa has 0% chance .. we do have a better chance than them ..

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Hosting an NBA All Star Weekend of Events is going to require:

Seriously, here are some of the major accommodation requirements:

18,000 - 20,000 quality hotels rooms and not counting Motel 6 or the I-35 hotel corridor or those rooms which rent by the hour if you know what I mean.

Where we stand? Oklahoma City has about 13,000 hotel rooms in the metro area. As for quality (?), that is the question.

We will definitely need at least two anchor hotels downtown with in excess of 700 rooms; something double the size of the Marriott Renaissance or the Marriott on the Northwest Expressway.

How do we increase hotel development? Building the Convention, Exposition & Trade events in our area--downtown and fairgrounds.

The new downtown convention center is going to be the key to spur a lot of development; we're just getting started and on the right track.

Right now, Tulsa would have a better chance of landing the NBA All Star Weekend than Oklahoma City. Ouch! We've got a lot of building ahead.
    \

Do you have a source for the 18-20,000 hotel room requirement?

On what basis would Tulsa have a better chance of landing the NBA All Star Weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Capital View Post
    \

Do you have a source for the 18-20,000 hotel room requirement?

On what basis would Tulsa have a better chance of landing the NBA All Star Weekend?
    I know for a fact I heard a reporter this year ask Stern about our chances for an All Star game and Stern replied 'Do you have the minimum required 6,000 hotel rooms within a 1 mile radius of the arena?'. So I don't know where 18 to 20 k is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I know for a fact I heard a reporter this year ask Stern about our chances for an All Star game and Stern replied 'Do you have the minimum required 6,000 hotel rooms within a 1 mile radius of the arena?'. So I don't know where 18 to 20 k is coming from.
    He may have said that, but the All-Star Game is going to be in the Toyota Center next year (and was also in Toyota Center in 2006). There are not 6,000 hotel rooms within a 1 mile radius of the Toyota Center. And I doubt there are 6,000 hotel rooms within a 1 mile radius of: Cowboys Stadium (2010); USAirways Center (2009); Pepsi Center is questionable (2005)

Blog Entries

The 6,000 hotel room within one-mile of each other for an NBA All Star game makes sense; it's the first solid requirement I've heard. The 18,000-20,000 hotel rooms in the metro area was what is needed to make us a solid tier II convention city which would put us in competition with cities like Kansas City, Nashville, Indianapolis & Columbus.

Many of the cities which have previously hosted an NBA All Star Weekend have many large hotels in the downtown area with accommodations for 600 to 1500 rooms each.

Let's first become a solid tier II convention city.

We are a long ways from hosting an NBA All Star Weekend.

Tulsa hotels: http://www.hotels.com/de1505111/hotels-tulsa-oklahoma/

He may have said that, but the All-Star Game is going to be in the Toyota Center next year (and was also in Toyota Center in 2006). There are not 6,000 hotel rooms within a 1 mile radius of the Toyota Center. And I doubt there are 6,000 hotel rooms within a 1 mile radius of: Cowboys Stadium (2010); USAirways Center (2009); Pepsi Center is questionable (2005)
    In 2005 that number might have been close for Denver but not now with the large convention center hotels built in the time since and the conversion of a bunch of buildings into small boutique hotels, especially in the LoDo area.

The NBA All-Star game has almost become a smaller version of the Superbowl scene with all of the ancillary activities outside of the sanctioned league activities. Large events always take awhile to build the infrastructure for, I know that most people in Austin are not going to be ready for the F1 crowd this November, they only think they will be because of SXSW. Since we will have our house sold by then I have been looking at hotel rooms, even places like the Holiday Inn Express locations are either fully booked or are asking in excess of $500 a night for a room.

OKC isn't ready for an NBA All-Star game, in fact most of the NBA markets struggle to make it work. If things keep going the to the Superbowl type of atmosphere only the tourist meccas are going to be able handle all of the activities and crowd that those demand now.

The 6,000 hotel requirement(if there is such a requirement) is just a nice way of saying a city doesn't have enough entertainment, dinning, transportation, or convention options.

The hotels come naturally as these things increase and more importantly the number of people visiting the city increase. Im getting the sense that some of you think its only the lack of hotels is why we don't have an all-star game.

In 2004 Houston had 5000 hotel rooms in the downtown area - I'd bet they have at least 6000 rooms 8 years later -

http://www.houstontx.gov/mayor/press/20040714.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    In 2004 Houston had 5000 hotel rooms in the downtown area - I'd bet they have at least 6000 rooms 8 years later -

http://www.houstontx.gov/mayor/press/20040714.html
    No. They don't. They currently stand at 5120.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    In 2005 that number might have been close for Denver but not now with the large convention center hotels built in the time since and the conversion of a bunch of buildings into small boutique hotels, especially in the LoDo area.
    Well, we are talking about the time when the event was held, not some random time afterwards. According to downtown Denver information I can find, they claim to have 8,400 hotel rooms. Since the Pepsi Center is a bit outside of downtown, even now, it's a bit of a stretch to come up with 6,000 rooms within a 1 mile radius of the Pepsi Center. Having added more than 2,500 rooms since they held the NBA All-Star game and with a number of their downtown rooms being outside the 1 mile radius, they certainly did not meet the supposed minimum requirement at the time of holding the game at Pepsi Center.

Bottom line: if there is such a requirement, they apparently waive it about as often as they enforce it.

No. They don't. They currently stand at 5120.
    Well dang them Texans - they always tell you how much bigger and better they are.

Well, we are talking about the time when the event was held, not some random time afterwards. According to downtown Denver information I can find, they claim to have 8,400 hotel rooms. Since the Pepsi Center is a bit outside of downtown, even now, it's a bit of a stretch to come up with 6,000 rooms within a 1 mile radius of the Pepsi Center. Having added more than 2,500 rooms since they held the NBA All-Star game and with a number of their downtown rooms being outside the 1 mile radius, they certainly did not meet the supposed minimum requirement at the time of holding the game at Pepsi Center.

Bottom line: if there is such a requirement, they apparently waive it about as often as they enforce it.
    The Pepsi Center is right at the edge of downtown, there are always a bunch of people walking to the arena from downtown and LoDo. I have done that several times when staying downtown before I moved up here. We have walked from The Magnolia, The Kimpton-Monaco and the Hyatt at the convention center to Pepsi Center or Coors Field, we have usually taken the shuttle bus to Mile High for Broncos games.

The "6,000 room" requirement may also be a relatively new thing since it seems the All-Star game has become more about everything else outside of the game itself. One of those things they conveniently use when they feel like using it. That is one reason why I expect to really rotate between tourist oriented places like Miami, New Orleans, Los Angeles and Las Vegas with an occasional bone thrown to a team owner to host one every once in awhile. I've never been to any kind of all star game but if it came back to Coors Field I would try to go, especially since I work two blocks from there.

Other NBA cities which have yet to host an All-Star Game:

Portland (Trail Blazers founded in 1970)
    Sacramento (Kings moved there from Kansas City in 1985)
    Toronto (Raptors established in 1995)
    Memphis (Grizzlies moved there from Vancouver in 2001)

Portland's had a team for over FORTY YEARS and they still haven't gotten an All-Star Game. We're in for a long wait. In all probability, the Thunder will be relocated before we get the chance. Either that, or most of us here will be dead before we ever see it happen.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    ... In all probability, the Thunder will be relocated before we get the chance. ...
    The Thunders ownership structure makes it unlikely the team will be relocated in the next twenty/thirty years. Plus with the new CBA's media revenue sharing small markets are more viable now than ever. On top of that the players under contract for the next five years make it likely to have excellent attendance for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    The Thunders ownership structure makes it unlikely the team will be relocated in the next twenty/thirty years. Plus with the new CBA's media revenue sharing small markets are more viable now than ever. On top of that the players under contract for the next five years make it likely to have excellent attendance for several years.
    Unless of course there was an oil bust. Which also seems unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Unless of course there was an oil bust.
    The Gaylord (Bennet) family is not that heavy into oil.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Unless of course there was an oil bust. Which also seems unlikely.
    Only 3 of the 8 owners main business is involved primarily in oil or gas, all the owners are minority owners so it is easier to replace someone needing to get out than sell the team quickly. Granted their would be collateral damage if there was a oil bust but OKC is not as dependent on oil/gas as a few decades ago.

I wonder about Dallas hosting and having an event like the Rookie vs. Sophomore game or something in OKC. I don't know if that'd be a possibility or not, probably not. Anyways, I could see us hosting it in 7-10 years.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City has far exceeded expectations in the sports world of most cities of our size. In 1997 we were trying to get the NHL and a decade later, we brought the NBA to town. Nashville was trying to get the NBA in 1995 and had to settle for the NHL.

Let's count our blessings and move on...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    The Thunders ownership structure makes it unlikely the team will be relocated in the next twenty/thirty years.
    It's entirely possible that it may be twenty or thirty years before we're awarded an All-Star Game.

Let me just say, until the downtown area is cleaned up by Core to Shore and MAPS, we will not see an NBA All Star game. South of the old i-40 is completly embaressing for our city if we were to get an All Star game in the next 10 years. And dont forget there is no parking lot what so ever. I still cant believe they didnt include a parking lot when they were building the Ford Center.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoy18 View Post
    ... And dont forget there is no parking lot what so ever. I still cant believe they didnt include a parking lot when they were building the Ford Center.
    uh, whaaaat? You might look over by the se curve of the arena. I've nevah paid to park there, but it does exist. As do several others not so very far away.

I doubt the majority of people coming to an All Star game care anything about parking, unless it's for their limos. You could argue we don't have enough taxis and limos for an All Star game more convincingly.

South of I-40 will have a lovely park on it by the time we get an All Star game.

Speaking of which, I was totally amazed at the number of people, children and dogs who were at the Myriad Gardens last weekend. I'm not the least bit worried about the new Central Park being underutilized. People seem to have discovered downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    uh, whaaaat? You might look over by the se curve of the arena. I've nevah paid to park there, but it does exist. As do several others not so very far away.
    Come on thats not considered a parking lot if not even a thousand people can squuez in there.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoy18 View Post
    Come on thats not considered a parking lot if not even a thousand people can squuez in there.
    Then what's it considered? It's not a mall.

Thread Information