Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Buy Releases List of Closures - OK Is Spared

1. Default Re: Best Buy Releases List of Closures - OK Is Spared

I go to Best Buy for classy customers.

The best part would be if this was a brilliant plan to distract store security while two dudes walked out the front door with a flat screen and some Laptops.

Default Re: Best Buy Releases List of Closures - OK Is Spared

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I've made many purchases from BB. Bought an external CD drive yesterday.
    My main reason is that I want it yesterday.
    Absolutely valid point. If there's only a $5 or $10 difference on, say, a $100-$200 item, and its something I really don't want to wait a week for it to get shipped in from some mailorder place, I'll pay what I call the 7-11 tax and snag it at BB for nothing more than the convenience of it.

3. Default Re: Best Buy Releases List of Closures - OK Is Spared

Went in the other day looking for an external Blu-Ray burner for a Mac (no dice), but left with a PS3 Move bundle for only $99 (Move camera, Move Wand, Move Controller, Move Rifle and Kill Zone 3 game). Sweet deal. Only thing is, the wife won't put it down long enough for me to play.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post

The best part would be if this was a brilliant plan to distract store security while two dudes walked out the front door with a flat screen and some Laptops.
    Was in BB a few months back and was in the Apple area when this ear piercing alarm goes off throughout the store. Seems some idiot decided he wanted the display model (didnt know they had them in boxes and was taking it to the front to check out (or so he claimed), they stopped him before exiting the store and got the laptop back. SInce they got him before exiting the store, I don't think they could do anything to him??? Anyway, was struck by the irony of it because around the same time, some nearly priceless piece of artwork was taken from a museum out in San Fran(?) in broad daylight...they just walked up to it, took it off the wall , tucked it under their arm and walked out the door with it. Apparently no type of security system at all but let someone try to take a $1,200 computer and you would think we were under nuclear attack. Took personnel a lot longer than needed to figure how to turn the alarm off!

Went in the other day looking for an external Blu-Ray burner for a Mac (no dice), but left with a PS3 Move bundle for only $99 (Move camera, Move Wand, Move Controller, Move Rifle and Kill Zone 3 game). Sweet deal. Only thing is, the wife won't put it down long enough for me to play.
    Did you try distracting her with a dance?

6. Default Re: Best Buy Releases List of Closures - OK Is Spared

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I've made many purchases from BB. Bought an external CD drive yesterday.
    My main reason is that I want it yesterday.
    X2. I know what I want, and on the rare occasion Best Buy has it...I go there and buy it. Unless it's cables or drive case or something...Where their markup is something like 800%.

Or when it's an item with a MAP from the manufacturer. Something like the Kindle Fire...That's $200 no matter where you go.

I only wish I had that guy's moves.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Not everyone who needs technology is savy enough to understand and sort out all of the information available on line. There is still a place for "in person" expertise for many people and that will never change.
    I completely agree. There is no substitute for in person expertise. Unfortunately, Best Buy is not the place to find it.

Some of you may remember Contemporary Sounds on N. May. When I was younger and new to high fidelity stereo equipment, I realized quickly that the chain stores couldn't help me. The staff at CS was patient with me coming in every other day for several weeks auditioning speakers until I found just the right ones (which still sound fantastic). Due to the knowledge and personal attention from the staff, I bought several more pieces from them, back before real life kicked in and diminished my hi-fi budget!

Sadly, I have noted for a long time the deterioration of the retail industry in general. Yes, there are a few local standouts, but overall customer service is on a steep decline.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCyrus View Post
    Some of you may remember Contemporary Sounds on N. May. When I
    was younger and new to high fidelity stereo equipment, I realized quickly
    that the chain stores couldn't help me. The staff at CS was patient.
    McGuires and Young's were very knowledgeable, too. I remember
    listening to Sgt. Pepper at Young's. Incredible. I believe the
    speakers were Magnaplane or something like that. McIntosh power!
    Last edited by Prunepicker; 04-19-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: ooops

Contemporary Sounds relocated to 33rd in Edmond around 2000, Audio Dimensions was another that was similar to CS that went into the former original CS location and have since moved around the corner on Hefner Rd. I went to high school with the owner of Audio Dimensions. Both are still around but I think they focus more on home theater installations. Both were quality shops back when I was familiar with them, I doubt that has changed.

Here's an interesting Best Buy related article I ran across today: http://www.twice.com/article/483439-..._s_New_CEO.php

They have the opportunity to turn the company around however, they will have to abandon the bargain basement customer. Good sales people know what they are worth and they are not going to work for $10 an hour. They need to separate themselves from Walmart and Target. People have a desire to purchase middle of the road electronics.

If they build there stores to sell the better quality stuff people will come in to shop. When you want a business suit you don't go to Walmart or Target. You go to a store who sells quality suits. Granted you may not want to spend a fortune however, your willing to spend a little because you need the suit for work and you want it to last a little while. The same principle applies for electronics. Most people want something that will last several years. They don't want the disposable model.

Probably a little wary of shifting to higher end electronics and knowledgeable staff since that model didn't work too well for Ultimate Electronics

13. Default Re: Best Buy Releases List of Closures - OK Is Spared

They have their Magnolia stores for the higher-end stuff (or is Magnolia no longer around?).

And they're not going to move those (higher-end) products down the chain, because they deal in small profits/moving lots of merchandise. Best Buy shoppers don't buy the $2,000 BluRay players and $20,000 speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Probably a little wary of shifting to higher end electronics and knowledgeable staff since that model didn't work too well for Ultimate Electronics
    Ultimate Electronics was done in my debt load, not their business model. It was a combination of debt load from aggressive expansion via opening new stores and acquiring existing, smaller chains. I do think the competition in the mid-priced market is lacking now compared to 10 years ago since so many different chains and stores have closed up over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    They have their Magnolia stores for the higher-end stuff (or is Magnolia no longer around?).

And they're not going to move those (higher-end) products down the chain, because they deal in small profits/moving lots of merchandise. Best Buy shoppers don't buy the $2,000 BluRay players and $20,000 speakers.
    Magnolia is still around, there are three in the Denver metro area.

I bought an ipad at bestbuy in mwc and the sales people were rude to me...i finally had to flag someone down...geez..it wasnt a battery it was an ipad---those things arent cheap...

Thread Information