Widgets Magazine

Thread: SW Corner of MacArthur and NW Highway

Default SW Corner of MacArthur and NW Highway

Driving by tonight I noticed that the Arby's and Mazzio's on the SW corner on MacArthur and NW Hwy are both closed. Does anyone know what's going on with this development?

Default Re: SW Corner of MacArthur and NW Highway

What time was it? I go by there frequently but not late and they've always been open.

Since there already is a CVS at the intersection, who wants to bet a Walgreens will go there?

4. Default Re: SW Corner of MacArthur and NW Highway

No, Arby's isn't just closed, it's gone. The letters on the building and the sign are both gone. I noticed yesterday around lunchtime. Mazzio's was gone about a month ago. There is something, or at least there was, on the door. A note or something. I have no idea what's going on there.
    Still corrupting young minds

5. Default Re: SW Corner of MacArthur and NW Highway

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    Since there already is a CVS at the intersection, who wants to bet a Walgreens will go there?
    There are at least 4 Walgreens I can think of within a 2-3 mile area of that intersection already. I doubt they will saturate the market any more than they already have.

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    There are at least 4 Walgreens I can think of within a 2-3 mile area of that intersection already. I doubt they will saturate the market any more than they already have.
    The one at NW 63rd & MacArthur is an older, "Twin Peaks" design so I could see that store being relocated to the newer, larger "Tower" design. There are several vacated "Twin Peaks" stores here in the Denver area with a new store nearby. Those Twin Peaks stores are probably near the end of their leases (the stores that I worked on were 20 year leases) so I could see some relocation to new, larger stores.

7-11 is going in from what i heard

8. Default Re: SW Corner of MacArthur and NW Highway

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    7-11 is going in from what i heard
    Do you think they would close the little crappy 7-11 at Britton and MacArthur, then? That's not even a mile away. I know we're supposed to have a 7-11 and Walgreens/CVS on every corner, but I wouldn't be sad to see the little one go in favor of a newer store.

Maybe they will also close the 7-Eleven over on Wilshire.

There have been a lot of closings in this area lately. City Bites, Mazzios, Arbys... is the area going downhill or are there plans to redevelop this land?

It's likely 7-11 bought those properties up. The Oklahoman listed 7-11 buying the glass shop just south of NW Expwy and MacArthur a few weeks back. 7-11 will likely close the one Wilshire and move there to compete with the new OnCue. Arby's already has a coming soon sign at Memorial and MacArthur they will likely open there in the near future.

There's a new OnCue? I guess I should get back to NW Expy sometimes to see what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCyrus View Post
    There's a new OnCue? I guess I should get back to NW Expy sometimes to see what's going on.
    Yes, at Wilshire. It is really big.

It's going to be 7-11. OnCue wanted that corner lot and inquired about it in the past, but the owners were not willing to sell at the time. That's why OC had to locate down the street and pay huge site development costs to cover the drainage ditch and remediate some environmental issues that popped up. In the meantime, 7-11 swooped in and bought the corner lot when the owners were willing to sell. Now 7-11 can put up one of their their typical cheaply built and cheaply designed junkie buildings with some extra space for a cleaners or licquor store along with the token 3 or 4 boxwood holly bushes that will die after a hot summer. It's a shame OnCue was not able to get the site, but it was just bad timing. As far as them shutting down the 7-11 further north on Mac, I'd be shocked if they did. That store, along with the one on Rockwell and Britton are cash cows with the adjacent apartment complexes. They're like 24hr vending machines for the all those surrounding complexes. I'm surprised they don't have shopping carts at those locations.

Quote Originally Posted by LuccaBrasi View Post
    That store, along with the one on Rockwell and Britton are cash cows with the adjacent apartment complexes.
    That makes sense. I think most of those older stores are all paid for so a lot lower overhead and more profit from those Big Gulps and King size Snickers.

It's going to be 7-11. OnCue wanted that corner lot and inquired about it in the past, but the owners were not willing to sell at the time. That's why OC had to locate down the street and pay huge site development costs to cover the drainage ditch and remediate some environmental issues that popped up. In the meantime, 7-11 swooped in and bought the corner lot when the owners were willing to sell. Now 7-11 can put up one of their their typical cheaply built and cheaply designed junkie buildings with some extra space for a cleaners or licquor store along with the token 3 or 4 boxwood holly bushes that will die after a hot summer. It's a shame OnCue was not able to get the site, but it was just bad timing. As far as them shutting down the 7-11 further north on Mac, I'd be shocked if they did. That store, along with the one on Rockwell and Britton are cash cows with the adjacent apartment complexes. They're like 24hr vending machines for the all those surrounding complexes. I'm surprised they don't have shopping carts at those locations.
    Sadly. That is well stated.

I guess turnabout is fair play, OnCue stole the NW corner of SW 59th and Western from 7-11. The church was going to meet with 7-11 to sell one particular afternoon. OnCue got wind of it while they were still putting the finishing touches on their new location across the street. They met with church officials before 7-11's meeting and gave them a better offer. The church jumped on it and bailed on 7-11. 7-11 ended up having to build down at SW 6? th and Western.

7-11 is finally replacing their dilapidated shack of store east of NE 10th and Air Depot with a new store right on the corner of the intersection. They were out putting the gas storage tank in the ground today. If the rains keep up, they probably won't open until late summer if they are lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    Yes, at Wilshire. It is really big.
    It surprised me how much they could get on such an odd shaped, tiny looking lot

Thread Information