Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kd's Restaurant / Legacy Grill

1. Default Re: New Building in LBT

Pete scooped me.

Default Re: New Building in LBT

One story is disappointing but at least it replaces some grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    The City gets naming right to the ballpark back in 13 more years.
    really? Do you have a link on that? they weren't given away to the team in perpetuity???

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Let's make this easy: That spot was always going to be a 1- or 2-story structure of about this size.

So given that, I'll just be happy that KD is investing in OKC and lending his name to something that will sure to be a draw. Could become the de-facto Thunder fan hang-out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    A lot of times it's just a restuarant group buying a players name rights for their establishment.
    This sounds like it is the case, from Steve's article...
    “It was a deal I couldn't pass up,” Durant said. “That's something in Oklahoma City that I always wanted to do … No matter what's going to happen, my name is going to be clear, and I'm not putting up money or nothing like that. So it was a perfect deal.”

Blog Entries

The Kevin Durant brand is worth a lot of money these days. Him lending his name save the enterprise immeasurable amounts of advertising dollars and greatly enhances the odds for significant success. And, his name is growing even bigger than ever outside of OKC, so it will draw out of towners at a greater pace. This is good for KD, Hal Smith, and OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    How will you guys feel if this Durant restaurant report is true but the building is designed to match the one that is home to Earl's BBQ and the ice cream shop?
    I'm kind of indifferent to how it looks, as long as it interacts with the canal better than anything else does on that side of Reno. If it has no canal patio or bar, it will be a lost opportunity.

7. Default Re: New Building in LBT

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I'm kind of indifferent to how it looks, as long as it interacts with the canal better than anything else does on that side of Reno. If it has no canal patio or bar, it will be a lost opportunity.
    Agree 100%, but it sounds like it might be too late for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Agree 100%, but it sounds like it might be too late for that.
    Despite having walked by Toby Keith's 200 times in my life, I just realized yesterday that patio does not open up to the sidewalk, or at least was open-air to the sidewalk... The patio is enclosed in glass with zero access to the canal. Is this developer the same? I know the operator is Hal Smith, the same guy, so I'd say it will be a KD-version of Toby Keiths.

"KD's I love this 35 and Grill" ?

Default Re: Kevin Durant Restaurant in LBT

Despite having walked by Toby Keith's 200 times in my life, I just realized yesterday that patio does not open up to the sidewalk, or at least was open-air to the sidewalk... The patio is enclosed in glass with zero access to the canal.
    Yep, it's weird. I guess it could be changed, but it's been sitting there ignoring the canal for a long time now...

10. Default Re: Kevin Durant Restaurant in LBT

Same developer and same restaurant group. The patio at Toby's used to be open air, but they enclosed it with glass so that they could have more climate-controlled seating. They were averse to bringing the patio all the way to the water front because there is a lot of pre-existing infrastructure under where the patio would have had to go, which would have had to be re-located or built over in such a way that it could be easily accessed. I can't remember if it is sewer or water main.

I'm not aware of the same restrictions for the KD site.

Trying desperately not to be a negative Nelly here, but Hal Smith Restaurants offer conveyer belt food, in my opinion. How are they going to make this menu differentiated? It will probably offer the same steaks and chops one can already find better in other Bricktown establishments. Hope desperately to be wrong on this.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Trying desperately not to be a negative Nelly here, but Hal Smith Restaurants offer conveyer belt food, in my opinion. How are they going to make this menu differentiated? It will probably offer the same steaks and chops one can already find better in other Bricktown establishments. Hope desperately to be wrong on this.
    Someone always has to play the role of the bad guy who tries to brings everyone's spirit down, whether it be on purpose or not, and that guy just happens to be you in this thread.

Hand clap to you for stepping up to the plate. =)

(I'm just being sarcastic (incase my response upsets you)

I think Hal Smith Group is a pretty good value for the cost.....I'd be fine if it's just another Charlestons with KD's name.

Blog Entries

Somebody must like the Hal Smith restaurants...they seem to always be busy when I go...both here and Wichita. I enjoy their food, but I don't consider them my "special event" restaurants, except for Mahogany. I bet they will put a fine enough product out at KD's Court as they are pretty smart operators.

so mahogany prime/louie's/mama roja/red rock/charlestons all have the same food?

16. Default Re: Kevin Durant Restaurant in LBT

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Somebody must like the Hal Smith restaurants...they seem to always be busy when I go...both here and Wichita. I enjoy their food, but I don't consider them my "special event" restaurants, except for Mahogany. I bet they will put a fine enough product out at KD's Court as they are pretty smart operators.
    Yep. Toby Keith's seems to get knocked a lot on this board. Go there and see how long it takes you to get a table any Friday or Saturday night between 6 and 8. Fairly full most other times I've been there also.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Yep. Toby Keith's seems to get knocked a lot on this board. Go there and see how long it takes you to get a table any Friday or Saturday night between 6 and 8. Fairly full most other times I've been there also.
    Mcdonalds usually has a line at the drive-thru. Doesn't mean the food is good. Some people like cookie cutter food joints where others prefer something else. I think Koby Teeths buiilding is just ugly with no character or charm. I have never ate there and anyone I have talked to who has said it was just OK. I just hope that the KD version next door will have a bit more character and not just look like a boring box like Koby Teeths. a rooftop patio would be nice.

Blog Entries

Good food is very subjective. As well, the food market is like every other market...highly segmented. Hal Smith restaurants know the segments they serve. Mahogany is anything but cookie cutter. The food is generally excellent there. Red Rock is not trying to be a gourmet restaurant but is a casual mid-upper scale establishment with nice variations of familiar foods and a fun atmosphere with an excellent view. Mama Roja's is very average Mexican cuisine, in my opinion, but then again, there aren't any true and good Mexican restaurants on the north side in OKC. Charlestons is a better version of Houstons....great salads and other lunches in an nice atmosphere.

I am sure that KD isn't going to be a gourmet upscale restaurant. If you want pretentious, go somewhere else. If you want avaunt guard cuisine, well, good luck finding that in OKC anyway. If you want good food, fun/pleasant atmospheres, and moderately upscale, go to most Hal Smith places.

Bottom line is that I would be willing to bet KD's will be a success and around for a long time.

And to compare this restaurant, or any of the Hal Smith food to McDonalds is more hyperbole. Using that logic, anything successful has to be "cookie cutter". LOL and simple but WRONG logic application. The only good places then are starved for business.

And, for the building, two story restaurants are hard to manage....not impossible, but hard. If this is a single use building, it is understandable that it is one story. However, I hope it opens to a patio on the canal so that more energy is created on the canal. It is way too calm now.

Well of course it isn't McDonalds. it was an extreme comment a bit tongue in cheek. My point is just because a place is busy on a friday and saturday doesn't mean its much to brag about. many middle of the road type of joints are busy. just not my Scene. My point is I would rather it be a little different. Hal Smith definately knows his market and has a variety of levels of Cuisine. Some I am a fan of others I am not it is just my opinion. It is difficult to run a multi-level establishment but I would love a roof top terrace for drinks. I know it wont happen here but I can dream. But I agree with you on the patio. It is a total waste to have canal front property and not have a nice patio.

All I've got to say is if they are doing "upscale Southern" cuisine, I hope the menu looks a lot like this: http://www.screendoordallas.com/menu.html

Hal Smith, are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Well of course it isn't McDonalds. it was an extreme comment a bit tongue in cheek. My point is just because a place is busy on a friday and saturday doesn't mean its much to brag about. many middle of the road type of joints are busy. just not my Scene. My point is I would rather it be a little different. Hal Smith definately knows his market and has a variety of levels of Cuisine. Some I am a fan of others I am not it is just my opinion. It is difficult to run a multi-level establishment but I would love a roof top terrace for drinks. I know it wont happen here but I can dream. But I agree with you on the patio. It is a total waste to have canal front property and not have a nice patio.

Not every restaurant can be a high-concept, high-dollar place. Sometimes I want Texas Roadhouse instead of Red Prime (and more often, I can only afford the one and not the other). Also, as Rover stated, opinions are going to differ on whether a restaurant is "middle of the road" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Not every restaurant can be a high-concept, high-dollar place. Sometimes I want Texas Roadhouse instead of Red Prime (and more often, I can only afford the one and not the other). Also, as Rover stated, opinions are going to differ on whether a restaurant is "middle of the road" or not.
    Notice I said that is my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Notice I said that is my opinion
    And that was mine. Yay, discussion boards.

Hal Smith knows how to make money selling food to Okies.

Isn't this going to be a sports bar concept?

Does Hal Smith operate a true sports bar?... I don't think he does, so I'm guessing they will go all out and make this one of a kind and the best sports bar in Okc. I think many people have been calling for more / better sports bars in Okc especially downtown / bricktown for a few years now. This should give the people what they want.

Think something like a better version of Buffalo Wild Wings / only with KD's name attached to it.

Thread Information