Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 231
  1. #151

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame to Move to Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark

    http://kfor.com/2017/08/15/oklahoma-...town-ballpark/

    Probably good that the Sports HofF is going to Bricktown, but sad the restaurant space - with the great deck - won't be occupied by a restaurant. Hopefully, they can find something unique to do with it.

  2. Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Great fit. As fantastic as that deck space is, it is hard for a restaurant because of the removal from and lack of relationship with the street. The perception is that it is too far away, up stairs, difficult to get to, and...is the restaurant even open? Just a tough sell. I'd love to see the Dodgers and City RFP the plaza for redevelopment. If there were buildings brought out to the street and perhaps a corridor/breezeway back to the entrance to what wil now be the Sports HOF it would be great for all concerned. The new buildings would also be prime for rooftop.

  3. #153

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    What if the plaza area closest to the sidewalk was lined with a shipping container sized streetwall (it doesn't have use actually shipping containers; small brick structures would do) that could provide a place for artists, local merchants, and others to rent out for a small price? This could create a vibrancy with alternating concepts that wouldn't take up much space. Not sure if this is a tenable idea because I haven't really seen it done elsewhere.

  4. Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    What if the plaza area closest to the sidewalk was lined with a shipping container sized streetwall (it doesn't have use actually shipping containers; small brick structures would do) that could provide a place for artists, local merchants, and others to rent out for a small price? This could create a vibrancy with alternating concepts that wouldn't take up much space. Not sure if this is a tenable idea because I haven't really seen it done elsewhere.
    well a variety on this concept is being built in the parking lot across from all about cha, there is a small brick kiosk that's under construction that will sell tickets to the lot as well as other things - not sure but something like coffee, snacks, etc...

    If you look at old pictures of the Colcord (there is one in the Underground that comes to mind) It had a long but shallow newspaper stand that occupied the street wall where the hotel is setback.

    I love the idea of having small, even temporary lease-able spaces like the pop up shops that could line the plaza you mentioned (which is pretty underutilized when there is no beach) and surface parking lots. If they are on Parking lots you could still have your damn parking (lol) as well as have a continuous streetwall and places to buy interesting things.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,830
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    but but but... bricktown beach...

  6. #156

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    well a variety on this concept is being built in the parking lot across from all about cha, there is a small brick kiosk that's under construction that will sell tickets to the lot as well as other things - not sure but something like coffee, snacks, etc...

    If you look at old pictures of the Colcord (there is one in the Underground that comes to mind) It had a long but shallow newspaper stand that occupied the street wall where the hotel is setback.

    I love the idea of having small, even temporary lease-able spaces like the pop up shops that could line the plaza you mentioned (which is pretty underutilized when there is no beach) and surface parking lots. If they are on Parking lots you could still have your damn parking (lol) as well as have a continuous streetwall and places to buy interesting things.
    ^^^
    Yes, all this! And the buildings would be shallow, thus leaving room for Bricktown Beach to stick around. I imagine this could be a great spot for artists, local merchants, local crafts industry, OKC tourism, local breweries (even if they can't sell alcohol - they could advertise and point people to breweries), etc. It would kind of serve as a small festival area any time it was full. The spaces could be for a small charge or free with scheduling and limits on time (not sure if that's hours, days, or weeks). Anyway, it's an idea I've had for lots of vacant plazas or holes in otherwise strong urban streetwalls.

  7. Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    While I like the idea in concept, I think that big plot would be much better served with a retail arcade leading to the museum entrance. A restaurant (or even two) could be located in one of the storefronts, and a rooftop (or two) would be amazing in this location.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,830
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Except the other rooftops nearby might sue you for obstructing their view.... :-P

  9. #159

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Wasn't the restaurant once a Coaches, like the one in Norman? I loved eating in there as a kid.

  10. Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    While I like the idea in concept, I think that big plot would be much better served with a retail arcade leading to the museum entrance. A restaurant (or even two) could be located in one of the storefronts, and a rooftop (or two) would be amazing in this location.
    great idea

  11. #161

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Except the other rooftops nearby might sue you for obstructing their view.... :-P
    It's OKC, so I might actually be willing to hold my breath on that one...

    NIMUD is a real thing here: NotInMyUrbanDistrict

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,830
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Ballpark is having a monster truck event. I expressed concern about the field. Got a response from the Dodgers themselves stating the field was being entirely replaced for next season, so that's nice!

  13. #163

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Ballpark is having a monster truck event. I expressed concern about the field. Got a response from the Dodgers themselves stating the field was being entirely replaced for next season, so that's nice!
    Yeah I had the same thought and someone mentioned that it might help offset the cost of removing the old field. Are they not also having a bull riding event around the monster truck show?

  14. Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    The dodgers are doing these events only because they are getting a new field.

  15. #165

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    On the city council docket for next week is approval of $1.879 million (!!) for a new field to come from the general obligation bond.

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,830
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    It's a city owned facility and the turf was due for replacement, which is why they let monster trucks on it recently.

  17. #167

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    On the city council docket for next week is approval of $1.879 million (!!) for a new field to come from the general obligation bond.
    Hmmmmm.... gotta love the free market, huh? For such a conservative city, every other business in town runs to government to help pay the bills. But when we ask government for money for mental health care - it's not there. I actually had someone say to me, "Where's the return?" Think about that a minute. Apparently the only kind of "return" many can relate to is monetary. This, unfortunately, adds to what makes Oklahoma City, and our state, fall so behind in QOL rankings. I know that's not the topic here, and I realize it's a GO bond, but just sayin'. Should be a really, really nice field.

    EDIT: I understand it's a city owned facility. I understand the need for maintenance. But the primary tenant I'm sure is having a big say in what kind of "field" they get. If I rent a house, I don't get to tell the landlord I want real hardwood floors versus laminate. Pushing $2,000,000.00 for a new field at the ballpark sounds like the landlord is being more than generous.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,830
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect it's not just the top turf getting replaced. After all these years I'd bet there are drainage issues and sprinkler line issues and such that they'll probably rectify as part of this effort. These are things I'd expect the city to be responsible for no matter who the tenant was.

  19. #169

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    Hmmmmm.... gotta love the free market, huh? For such a conservative city, every other business in town runs to government to help pay the bills. But when we ask government for money for mental health care - it's not there. I actually had someone say to me, "Where's the return?" Think about that a minute. Apparently the only kind of "return" many can relate to is monetary. This, unfortunately, adds to what makes Oklahoma City, and our state, fall so behind in QOL rankings. I know that's not the topic here, and I realize it's a GO bond, but just sayin'. Should be a really, really nice field.

    EDIT: I understand it's a city owned facility. I understand the need for maintenance. But the primary tenant I'm sure is having a big say in what kind of "field" they get. If I rent a house, I don't get to tell the landlord I want real hardwood floors versus laminate. Pushing $2,000,000.00 for a new field at the ballpark sounds like the landlord is being more than generous.
    You do realize a field is much more than grass and dirt, right? Fields normally include drainage, sprinklers, etc.

  20. Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    I'm no expert, but I suspect the costs related to the complete replacement of a natural, at-or-near major league quality baseball playing field is decidedly non trivial. You'll take out not only the existing sod, but likely a few inches of substrate, replace it, add or amend a drainage layer of some sort, then roll out several thousand square feet of sod - to say nothing of rolling/leveling, and (minimally) first-time fertilization. I don't suspect any of that comes cheap.

  21. #171

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    2 million to replace a field that has lasted 20 years doesn't sound bad at all really. Its not like their changing it out because its not pretty. Its being replaced because its costing more to do daily maintenance on it because of its poor substructure and irrigation system. Really saving money in the long run.

  22. Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    In addition to replacing the turf on the field the city really needs to buy some turf floor panels. The ballpark could be a fantastic concert venue and flooring to protect the new turf and open up additional usage of the space would be a boon to the facility.

  23. #173

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    Hmmmmm.... gotta love the free market, huh? For such a conservative city, every other business in town runs to government to help pay the bills. But when we ask government for money for mental health care - it's not there. I actually had someone say to me, "Where's the return?" Think about that a minute. Apparently the only kind of "return" many can relate to is monetary. This, unfortunately, adds to what makes Oklahoma City, and our state, fall so behind in QOL rankings. I know that's not the topic here, and I realize it's a GO bond, but just sayin'. Should be a really, really nice field.

    EDIT: I understand it's a city owned facility. I understand the need for maintenance. But the primary tenant I'm sure is having a big say in what kind of "field" they get. If I rent a house, I don't get to tell the landlord I want real hardwood floors versus laminate. Pushing $2,000,000.00 for a new field at the ballpark sounds like the landlord is being more than generous.
    No you don’t but if the floor fell into such disrepair that it was becoming unusable you would press him for a new floor. Which is the case here for the dodgers

  24. #174

    Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

    I’m failing to see the controversy?

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,830
    Blog Entries
    1

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Staybridge Suites
    By sethsrott in forum Development & Buildings
    Replies: 791
    Last Post: 02-20-2019, 02:05 AM
  2. Bricktown or Redhawks Ballpark
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 12:09 AM
  4. AT&T Bricktown Ballpark???
    By Decious in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 01:56 PM
  5. Bricktown Ballpark plans winter games
    By PUGalicious in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 07:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO