Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricktown Ballpark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    While I like the idea in concept, I think that big plot would be much better served with a retail arcade leading to the museum entrance. A restaurant (or even two) could be located in one of the storefronts, and a rooftop (or two) would be amazing in this location.
    great idea

Blog Entries

Except the other rooftops nearby might sue you for obstructing their view.... :-P

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Except the other rooftops nearby might sue you for obstructing their view.... :-P
    It's OKC, so I might actually be willing to hold my breath on that one...

NIMUD is a real thing here: NotInMyUrbanDistrict

Wasn't the restaurant once a Coaches, like the one in Norman? I loved eating in there as a kid.

Blog Entries

Ballpark is having a monster truck event. I expressed concern about the field. Got a response from the Dodgers themselves stating the field was being entirely replaced for next season, so that's nice!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Ballpark is having a monster truck event. I expressed concern about the field. Got a response from the Dodgers themselves stating the field was being entirely replaced for next season, so that's nice!
    Yeah I had the same thought and someone mentioned that it might help offset the cost of removing the old field. Are they not also having a bull riding event around the monster truck show?

The dodgers are doing these events only because they are getting a new field.

On the city council docket for next week is approval of $1.879 million (!!) for a new field to come from the general obligation bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    On the city council docket for next week is approval of $1.879 million (!!) for a new field to come from the general obligation bond.
    Hmmmmm.... gotta love the free market, huh? For such a conservative city, every other business in town runs to government to help pay the bills. But when we ask government for money for mental health care - it's not there. I actually had someone say to me, "Where's the return?" Think about that a minute. Apparently the only kind of "return" many can relate to is monetary. This, unfortunately, adds to what makes Oklahoma City, and our state, fall so behind in QOL rankings. I know that's not the topic here, and I realize it's a GO bond, but just sayin'. Should be a really, really nice field.

EDIT: I understand it's a city owned facility. I understand the need for maintenance. But the primary tenant I'm sure is having a big say in what kind of "field" they get. If I rent a house, I don't get to tell the landlord I want real hardwood floors versus laminate. Pushing $2,000,000.00 for a new field at the ballpark sounds like the landlord is being more than generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    Hmmmmm.... gotta love the free market, huh? For such a conservative city, every other business in town runs to government to help pay the bills. But when we ask government for money for mental health care - it's not there. I actually had someone say to me, "Where's the return?" Think about that a minute. Apparently the only kind of "return" many can relate to is monetary. This, unfortunately, adds to what makes Oklahoma City, and our state, fall so behind in QOL rankings. I know that's not the topic here, and I realize it's a GO bond, but just sayin'. Should be a really, really nice field.

EDIT: I understand it's a city owned facility. I understand the need for maintenance. But the primary tenant I'm sure is having a big say in what kind of "field" they get. If I rent a house, I don't get to tell the landlord I want real hardwood floors versus laminate. Pushing $2,000,000.00 for a new field at the ballpark sounds like the landlord is being more than generous.
    You do realize a field is much more than grass and dirt, right? Fields normally include drainage, sprinklers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post

No you don’t but if the floor fell into such disrepair that it was becoming unusable you would press him for a new floor. Which is the case here for the dodgers

Blog Entries

It's a city owned facility and the turf was due for replacement, which is why they let monster trucks on it recently.

Blog Entries

I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect it's not just the top turf getting replaced. After all these years I'd bet there are drainage issues and sprinkler line issues and such that they'll probably rectify as part of this effort. These are things I'd expect the city to be responsible for no matter who the tenant was.

I'm no expert, but I suspect the costs related to the complete replacement of a natural, at-or-near major league quality baseball playing field is decidedly non trivial. You'll take out not only the existing sod, but likely a few inches of substrate, replace it, add or amend a drainage layer of some sort, then roll out several thousand square feet of sod - to say nothing of rolling/leveling, and (minimally) first-time fertilization. I don't suspect any of that comes cheap.

2 million to replace a field that has lasted 20 years doesn't sound bad at all really. Its not like their changing it out because its not pretty. Its being replaced because its costing more to do daily maintenance on it because of its poor substructure and irrigation system. Really saving money in the long run.

In addition to replacing the turf on the field the city really needs to buy some turf floor panels. The ballpark could be a fantastic concert venue and flooring to protect the new turf and open up additional usage of the space would be a boon to the facility.

I’m failing to see the controversy?

18. Default Re: Bricktown Ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I’m failing to see the controversy?
    I'm guessing he thinks the Dodgers should pay for their own turf replacement. I guess he didn't see the situation where the KC Chiefs and the Rams were to play in Mexico City this Sunday. The turf was so bad they moved the game back to LA. The teams don't do turf, the stadium owners do.

Blog Entries

That reminds me, I think we are a Triple A city. By that I mean that Major League Baseball has contracted with Oklahoma City to guarantee that Triple A ball will be played here. For as long as the contract term a team will be here. Even if the Dodgers move, MLB has to place a team in OKC. OKC has to maintain the stadium in a Triple A fashion.

Blog Entries

Unlike the past, where there were local owners, the Dodgers bought our AAA franchise.

Heh....more like the Warriors. In 2010 OKC baseball was bought by a Peter Guber chaired group under one of his Mandalay xxx company names, of which he has many. By 2015 he is a big partner in the Golden State Warriors, as well as the LA Dodgers. (I don’t know which team he is a larger percentage owner of). After the Houston Astros affiliate deal with OKC expires in 2015, the Dodgers buy into OKC and make them their AAA affiliate. I have to admit the Dodger relationship with OKC has very good for our city IMO.
    I have been told the only reason OKC doesn’t currently belong to the Texas Rangers is Nolan Ryan: when he became Rangers president in 2008 he moved their AAA affiliate from OKC (since 1983) to his family owned Round Rock Texas team in 2010. OKC became a Houston Astros affiliate in 2011. Around 2013 Ryan left the Rangers and went to work for the Astros. He then again insisted the Astros drop OKC for Round Rock, which happened in 2015. The Rangers were aggressive in their desire to return to OKC in 2015, and hoped to buy the team outright as soon as the Astros agreement expired. However, Guber really liked the OKC market and joined them with his Dodgers network instead of selling outright.

Thread Information