Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Downtown Housing Summary

Default Re: Downtown Housing Summary

I'm guessing 85% -- because I'm optimistic.

I'm all in for a residential high rise, preferably featuring for-sale condos. But the Central Business District would be less attractive than the areas just outside the inner core, such as lower Midtown, Arts District, that vacant space in Auto Alley at Sixth and Broadway, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I'm all in for a residential high rise, preferably featuring for-sale condos. But the Central Business District would be less attractive than the areas just outside the inner core, such as lower Midtown, Arts District, that vacant space in Auto Alley at Sixth and Broadway, etc.
    For mid-rise buildings (say 7-8 to about 12-14 floors) all those locations would be great. If we're talking a true high-rise (about 20+ floors) then it would definitely fit better in the skyline if it was in or very near the CBD.

While it's not new, we do have the Regency Tower, which is an impressive 24 floors.

We also have The Classen (21) and the Park Harvey (17); City Place has condos on the very top floors (26-33). It's looking more and more likely that the Dowell Center (20) will be converted to residential. And further afield there is Founders (20) and Lakeview (15).

People love to forget/overlook these when bemoaning the lack of local high-rise living units.

I'm sure more will follow, especially if all the projects currently underway stay full.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I thought about that, that would be awesome to tear out those buildings and build a 50-70 story tower there.
    I read this without seeing who posted it...then I scrolled back up with PluPan in my head ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I read this without seeing who posted it...then I scrolled back up with PluPan in my head ;-)
    Ah, come on man, a 70 story high-rise here in OKC isn't too unrealistic, is it? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Ah, come on man, a 70 story high-rise here in OKC isn't too unrealistic, is it? lol
    70 stories? That may be a little ambitious. I have no doubt a residential project that is 40-50 stories would be doable with the right developer.

You can add the Maywood Flats to that list. Work has begun in earnest now. They will be for sale housing. I don't know how many units - minimum of three, maximum of six in the first building. And we will finally get rid of those awful unfinished walls on the west side of the brownstones. Two more brownstones are sold as well.

I've updated the article and summary to reflect the Lisbon Lofts and 10th & Shartel Apartments.

We are now close to 4,000 multi-family units.

Pete,

It occurs to me that this list does not include some of the lower-income and specialty properties downtown. Should those be included so we can get a more complete number of downtown residents? Or is this more specifically related to new / newer projects?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Pete,

It occurs to me that this list does not include some of the lower-income and specialty properties downtown. Should those be included so we can get a more complete number of downtown residents? Or is this more specifically related to new / newer projects?
    That information is not easily accessible.

If you know where to find it, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That information is not easily accessible.

If you know where to find it, let me know.
    I'll try to do some research on this.

You pretty much would have to take a map, then look up each property on the County Assessor's site, then research the number of units.

Also, we need to define downtown for the purpose of this exercise.

IMO, it should be the River to the south, 13th to the north, I-235 to the east and Classen to the west.

Pete, it would be cool if this thread had an aerial map showing all the residential projects (existing and proposed) -- just like in the 10th & Shartel posting -- but including all of them (Midtown, DD, Bricktown, Auto Alley,...)

It would have to be a pretty big image to show all that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Pete, it would be cool if this thread had an aerial map showing all the residential projects (existing and proposed) -- just like in the 10th & Shartel posting -- but including all of them (Midtown, DD, Bricktown, Auto Alley,...)

It would have to be a pretty big image to show all that, though.
    Project Map

You pretty much would have to take a map, then look up each property on the County Assessor's site, then research the number of units.

Also, we need to define downtown for the purpose of this exercise.

IMO, it should be the River to the south, 13th to the north, I-235 to the east and Classen to the west.
    Maybe for the purposes of Residential, we should go to 18th on the North border. I know we have the Aberdeen north of 13th and several other buildings that will likely be renovated. Homeland sits on the south-side of 18th.

We could just include all the single-family single-units as one entry on the sheet by neighborhood and specify for HH, MP, SOSA and maybe DD.

I like 13th as the northern border because it's a clear delineation between downtown and the residential area of Mesta Park / Heritage Hills. Almost everything between 13th & 23rd is single-family.

There are some exceptions but then why not take it to 23rd and beyond? Lots of multi-family in Jefferson Park and the Paseo; tons of 8-plexes and the like.

When I think of downtown, it seems that includes the CBD, Film Row, SoSa, Midtown, Bricktown, Lower Bricktown, Auto Alley, Deep Deuce, Flatiron and Core to Shore. And Midtown definitely stops at 13th street.

You do have Uptown/23rd, The Plaza, Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Gatewood, Classen-Ten-Penn and a bunch of other urban districts, but I wouldn't include them in downtown.

Because I think the people in the lowest portions of HH/MP probably consider themselves downtown residents and frequent DT restaurants and shops as much as the people who live in Midtown...maybe even Deep Deuce.

18th is also the exact middle street between 23rd and 13th, and 23rd is the north border of scaled urban development in OKC. I agree that 13th is the border of "Downtown Proper"...but there's a blend out of downtown, especially between Harvey and Broadway, north of 13th. The only reason it doesn't do that on any of the other 3 borders is that 1 is an interstate, 1 is a river, and the other was an industrial center, and has sat relatively abandoned for decades.

Anyway, the area south of 18th is primarily a downtown supporting neighborhood, whereas a place like Jefferson Park is primarily a 23rd/Paseo supporting neighborhood, Gatewood/CTP for the Plaza, etc. I would bet north of 18th, people patron 23rd as much as they do downtown.

I've updated the summary above to add the latest projects and also split out built, under construction and proposed.

Of note:

1,789 current apartment units
    565 are under construction
    1,109 are definitively proposed

So, our apartment inventory is about to double in just the next couple of years, after pretty much doubling the last two.

I've updated the summary above to add the latest projects and also split out built, under construction and proposed.

Of note:

1,789 current apartment units
    565 are under construction
    1,109 are definitively proposed

So, our apartment inventory is about to double in just the next couple of years, after pretty much doubling the last two.
    And this doesn't include the rumored development at 10th and Harvey. How many units will that have?

Just updated the article above to include the propose 700 West development.

We now have more apartments under construction and proposed than current exist in the central core.

We now have more apartments under construction and proposed than current exist in the central core.
    So 100% gain in downtown population coming soon.

o0o…not quite…you forgot to move Maywood I over to the completed column . That pushes the totals from 1801 completed vs. 1961 PP/UC to 1940 completed vs. 1822 PP/UC.

QUICK!!! Someone announce a 119 unit complex before The Edge finishes!

Yes, I also forgot to move Maywood II to under construction and to remove the Mideke project altogether, since the housing plans have been scrapped.

The article now reflects these changes.

Pete,

Do you have a map that ONLY shows the downtown housing units -- both completed and proposed -- and the number of units? My wife is doing a graduate paper and could use the information.

Thanks!

Brian

Thread Information