Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: OKC Population Density

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: OKC Population Density

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Totally agree, I'd love to see that as well. And I agree that since OKC is a sales tax city, it's not a one to one comparison. However, the principles are still similar in that we still need to be doing the math to see if how and what we are building is sustainable long (and short) term. We still need to be building efficiently enough so that we can pay for services, roads, plumbing, sewer, etc and their long term maintenance costs with the amount of tax revenue we bring in no matter if it's property or sales tax. A wal mart does indeed bring in a **** ton of sales tax revenue, but think about all the land a wal mart uses. When you add up all the parking, roads, and other externalities that make wal marts in their current form viable, how much surplus do we get compared to the same sized parcel filled with fine grained, multi story development with a mix of uses and little to no parking. I don't have the answer, (but I believe I know what it would be) but these are the types of questions we need to asking. We don't have to choose one extreme, (i.e. land of wal-marts), or the other (i.e. Manhattan). We can move along that continuum how we want and what works best for our city, we just need to be sure we have enough intensity to pay for what we've built.
    A Walmart downtown that could rely on traffic from our public transit and downtown residents in close(r) proximity (ie reduced infrastructure costs) would be a boon to the coffers, even though your idea is better.

Some people probably hate the idea, but I've thought for a while that a downtown urban Walmart Neighborhood Market would be a smashing success.

It would be nice but to suggest it will be supported by transit is a pipe dream. It will need a considerable amount of parking— I just hope it is done right and not conspicuous.

I think DTOKC area sees a new grocery store(Walmart, TJ, HEB, Target, or maybe Whole Foods) announcement within the next 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It would be nice but to suggest it will be supported by transit is a pipe dream. It will need a considerable amount of parking— I just hope it is done right and not conspicuous.

I think DTOKC area sees a new grocery store(Walmart, TJ, HEB, Target, or maybe Whole Foods) announcement within the next 3 years.
    No way it’s H-E-B. H-E-B stays within its current markets and rarely expands into new markets. They’re not in Dallas or El Paso and don’t have any plans to open stores in either location for the foreseeable future. They’re not leap frogging either of those locations for OKC. Not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    No way it’s H-E-B. H-E-B stays within its current markets and rarely expands into new markets. They’re not in Dallas or El Paso and don’t have any plans to open stores in either location for the foreseeable future. They’re not leap frogging either of those locations for OKC. Not happening.
    HEB would be a stretch, but it would be nice. They are a good grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    A Walmart downtown that could rely on traffic from our public transit and downtown residents in close(r) proximity (ie reduced infrastructure costs) would be a boon to the coffers, even though your idea is better.
    If a wal mart were built into the context of decent urban form it wouldn't suffer from the same problems I described above.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    If a wal mart were built into the context of decent urban form it wouldn't suffer from the same problems I described above.
    Exactly.

8. Default Re: OKC Population Density

I could see one of the Kroger brands or the parent company moving in but they probably feel OKC is served sufficiently with all the other brands.

Home delivery is the future. Crest delivers and it is easier to provide this service than to erect a free standing store DT.

Oh, it’s the best! Love H-E-B.

This article lists OKC as the 4th in affordable fastest growing cities in the U.S.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/most...ck-2023-12?amp

12. Default Re: OKC Population Density

Oklahoma City, one of the largest cities by population in the top 20, ranked fourth with an average home value of $194,700 and an 8.3% five-year population growth rate.
    LOVE seeing OKC getting more and more recognition for it's population and it's growth by the national media.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

13. Default Re: OKC Population Density

Just returned from extended stay in Honolulu. Urban Walmart, urban Target, urban Whole Foods, and several others. All are very crowded and well integrated into street system. And oh yeah, none are anywhere near the train, but HNL has great bus service.

Thread Information