Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBE1C313-10B3-40C6-922B-C35525574D53.jpeg 
Views:	238 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	15589
    Not sure if this was posted but I guess the corner will be illuminated

Took a tour of the building yesterday. Completely understand that the exterior cladding is not for everyone but count me as a fan. It will be neat to see, especially for people that drive by on a daily basis, how the light reflects off the building throughout the day and on one day to the next. The difference from when we started the tour to when we left was very noticeable. The interior is very impressive. Even though there are few windows the light throughout the space is gorgeous and the areas that are closer to being finished are looking like very high quality modern design. I'm far from an expert but it seems like each space is well designed for its intended purpose.

I feel like an idiot never really knowing much about, visiting, or utilizing OK Contemporary even though I've lived in OKC much of my life and suspect this is largely due to its current/soon-to-be previous location. But I expect the new building will be a boon to its programming and that the space will be a VERY popular event space after it opens. Hopefully there will be movement on the Dolese space in the relatively near future though, as many of the views face that direction.

^

Thanks for all that info.

And yes, they have been almost invisible at the fairgrounds and this beautiful new space and great location will bring tons more interest.

I personally love contemporary art and very much look forward to this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Thanks for all that info.

And yes, they have been almost invisible at the fairgrounds and this beautiful new space and great location will bring tons more interest.

I personally love contemporary art and very much look forward to this place.
    Looking forward to it as well. I was unaware of all the classes they put on - for both children and adults - for the community and for all sorts of mediums, not to mention the exhibits, concerts, etc.

This looks really good in person. Really stands out in that area in a good way.

I saw it last night and found it captivating. I hadn't like what I'd seen of it so far, but last night seeing it lit up it really works and was impressive and visually engaging.

Getting very close; they open next month:

This is a pretty good podcast interview with some OCAC people, courtesy of the Lost Ogle. Good detail on what their plans are in the near future:
    https://www.thelostogle.com/2020/02/...d-lori-brooks/

I hope they take care of those trees so they grow big and strong to cover up that parking lot.

This is a very nice addition to the arts culture of the city

It looks great in person and they do a tremendous amount of programming, so lots of interesting classes will be available.

They open March 12th.

the building looks great in person, especially as the sun sets. the light on the building changes in the evening and I really am impressed. I was skeptical when the siding starting to go up.

I am confused. Why is the entrance not facing broadway? So much for embracing its largest amenity : Downtown.

The skin looks nice. It's more a sculpture than architecture, but maybe that was the point. I think this project violates every urban design principle, and it shows. The site plan is terrible, but most people probably won't care. I bet the museum will be incredible which is the purpose. This project isn't for everyone, but I do appreciate the good things achieved here. There is nothing like it in Oklahoma.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by urbanCOWBOY View Post
    I am confused. Why is the entrance not facing broadway?
    because Rand

The entrance faces their other building which will be used for all types of classes.

There is an illuminated element to the design that faces Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanCOWBOY View Post
    I am confused. Why is the entrance not facing broadway? So much for embracing its largest amenity : Downtown.

The skin looks nice. It's more a sculpture than architecture, but maybe that was the point. I think this project violates every urban design principle, and it shows. The site plan is terrible, but most people probably won't care. I bet the museum will be incredible which is the purpose. This project isn't for everyone, but I do appreciate the good things achieved here. There is nothing like it in Oklahoma.
    Yaaaaassssssss.

that is a bonkers amount of parking. i don't have much room to talk as i commute to work roughly 25 minutes every day... but still, for being located in automobile alley with no parking minimums that's just excessive

22. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

i too was thinking that was too much parking. WHY??? does everything in OKC need to be designed with so much parking???? this is the CORE of OKC, come on people. Build a darn garage (with undergrhound spaces/link) if you want parking.

At the very least, at least the parking here is behind the structure and not on Broadway. But still. Come on OKC.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Can always convert a surface parking lot later.

Fail at parking from the beginning and the whole project is in jeopardy.

That’s why. Or everyone can keep angry ranting on the internet. Either way.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post

Agree. Its as if every downtown “core” venue is solely supported by downtowners without cars.

I think its cool looking. My only concern is how the sun will react in those long hot sunny summer periods we get. But it will be popular.

Great point on parking can be converted later and it needs parking to get a great foothold.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post

Agree. Its as if every downtown “core” venue is solely supported by downtowners without cars.

I think its cool looking. My only concern is how the sun will react in those long hot sunny summer periods we get. But it will be popular.

Great point on parking can be converted later and it needs parking to get a great foothold.

Thread Information