Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Contemporary

Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

We need more of this all over the city, fantastic idea.

^

Agree! Especially since this is just a dead area right now.

Really starting to get excited about what Oklahoma Contemporary is going to bring in the short and longer terms. Looks like they have big plans.

Isn't Oklahoma Contemporary the ones who host all the comedians like Marc Maron, Doug Benson, Todd Barry, etc? Will they continue to host those names at the new location?

I'm very excited about everything they're doing.

Note that this will cover the length of three full city blocks.

Will be huge!

Blog Entries

shame it's temporary

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Note that this will cover the length of three full city blocks.

Will be huge!
    And it begins.

Monumental rope sculpture lassos attention for Oklahoma Contemporary's future in Automobile Alley | NewsOK.com

This should look amazing.

On an unassuming strip of Oklahoma City land known as Campbell Park, carefully knotted strands of red, yellow and blue rope snake in between and around trees, with curves and peaks already beginning to form.

“On the curves, it will be 8 feet (tall) in some places, slightly less in others,” said project manager Nick Shifrin, looking over the layout of what will become a massive rope sculpture. “Just imagine multiple, multiple layers. The pieces vary in length from about 2 feet to 130 feet, but what we do is use the different lengths to create the rise and fall.”

Titled “Terra,” the installation will eventually incorporate 1.4 million feet of interwoven rope — primarily recycled crab- and lobster-fishing rope — coated with 350 gallons of terra-cotta-colored paint.

"The enormous sculpture also marks a first for Oklahoma Contemporary Art Center: It is the center’s first installation in Automobile Alley, adjacent to the land at NW 11 and Broadway where the center plans to relocate in 2017."

that's good.

also here's this piece as well

"Titled “Terra,” the installation will eventually incorporate 1.4 million feet of interwoven rope — primarily recycled crab- and lobster-fishing rope — coated with 350 gallons of terra-cotta-colored paint."

It's pretty cool to see in person.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

From their facebook page:

Making progress!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oklahomacontemporary.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	9286

Looks like they've got everything pretty much installed and are now painting:

Exhibit officially opens today:

Finishing touches happening today... Orly Genger's "Terra" officially opens Monday, October 20 at 5 p.m. at Campbell Park / NW 11th & Broadway in Automobile Alley. We hope to see you then!

13. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

Hugh Meade of Odd Fab Design has also placed a commissioned piece on the Oklahoma Contemporary site.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oddfabdesign.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	9333

First look at Rand Elliott's design for the permanent museum; (from https://twitter.com/AutoAlleyOKC):

Wow! Love the design of the building. Hate the parking lot and plazas.

I love it! This is being built on AA? This will be amazing!

There is a park (Campbell Park) between their land and Broadway, so no way to create any real street presence anyway.

Looking forward to seeing more details. Rand Elliott plus this client seems like a perfect match.

There is a park (Campbell Park) between their land and Broadway, so no way to create any real street presence anyway.
    Thanks - I thought they bought street front property, so that helps with my reaction to the site plan.

Cool looking building, and if it can't be in the Art's District, I think this is a good spot. I'm excited to see what Rand will do with the interior.

First look at Rand Elliott's design for the permanent museum; (from https://twitter.com/AutoAlleyOKC):

Building is OK, the site design is horrible. This should be in the suburbs. This land is very valuable and should have been developed for other mixed use better urban design. What a waste of a great location.

It looks like the Fortress of Solitude. Dollars to donuts that's what people end up calling it.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it yet, but I HATE that design.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Maybe I'm just not seeing it yet, but I HATE that design.
    Same, plus the site plan is particularly awful and a waste of prime real estate along the streetcar corridor.

I don't mind the green space, depending on how they use it. If it really is used for activities and sculptures, it could be cool. I do wish the building was on the street and the the surface parking was reduced, but it sounds like they can't build at the street.

I can't really tell about the building, though. I think this would come down to the materials used and I can't tell what they are from the pics.

This is a good view of how the building (yellow) will sit on their overall property (red).

Note they plan to keep the small building in the southeast corner.

Campbell Park is to the west along Broadway.

The building goes right up to the street. What is the problem? There is a park between Broadway and the building, how would they front the road? Just demolish part of the park?

Thread Information