Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Contemporary

1. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I respect Rand's work and he has brought a unique style to Oklahoma with the boathouses among other projects. The following is meant as constructive criticism and not a personal attack in any way.

One thing he regularly does in his own developments is ignore walkability, context, and function at the expense of design. For example, he designed Classen Curve as a walkable, outdoor shopping center and then sprawled it out so much that it's really not very walkable. I doubt many people make the walk from Red Coyote to Upper Crust because despite the (large) storefronts, it's actually a fairly uninteresting walk. The design is great, but it doesn't function well, which is likely at least part of the reason why there are store spaces that have yet to be filled after years of being completed. It's probably the same reason pedestrians have to walk in the street or grass in the boathouse district to move east/west as the sidewalks are meant to fit the design, not be functional.

The same problems exist with this development. Oklahoma Contemporary is at the northern boundary of a walkable district that will likely (hopefully) continue to expand north. Yet, this design, while interesting, is totally uninviting to pedestrians. Instead of pushing the building out to the boundaries of the sidewalks, he pulled the building away from where people walk in a very suburban manner. The building is inappropriate for a walkable context.

And I think that's why it's frustrating for him to critique a quality development that brings life to Automobile Alley -- he doesn't do that in his own developments.

I respect Urbanized a lot so I'll assume there are some things I don't get (I'm an amateur with this stuff) about why the Broadway Park design is inappropriate, but it seems like a homerun to me. And I really like the idea of balconies adding eyes and life to that part of the district.
    Yes. All of this, yes.

Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

A Rand Elliott project WITH TREES!

Blog Entries

a number of those trees already exist. however I suspect they will tear them up and replace them with Rand Elliot designed trees that are balcony free.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

Maybe there is something I'm missing, and I always like Elliott's designs, but I am not a fan of these renderings. This building strongly resembles the North Building of the Denver Art Museum which is widely considered an eyesore.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1200px-Denver_Art_Museum_Main_Building.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	12715

As promised in the Broadway Park page, I am going to comment here. As neighbors, we are thrilled that such activity center is proposed in the hood. As an urbanist, count me disappointed in the quantity of parking and the orientation of the 'front door'.

Oklahoma Contemporary folks have been strong, vocal, supporters of the streetcar system. They came to the OKC City Council meeting and spoke strongly in favor of the proposed route. It was an extremely controversial meeting and successful passage of the streetcar route framework ensured that we could move forward without further delay. I don't think that Rand had been selected as the architect of the building at that time.

Let's just say that a bunch of us fought hard to extend the streetcar up to 11th street so that Oklahoma Contemporary could have a direct connection to the system. It is a very difficult intersection for us as we have to orient our stop in a unique way and install custom signalization to be able to make the sweeping left hand turn in front of their building to go west on 11th street.

I write all that just to emphasize that the cultural obsession with automobiles by architects and downtown developers is here again elevated in stunning visual detail with the way the building responds to the parking lot instead of the mass transit stop and strong sidewalk fabric to the west.

Until the system is up and running, I guess we will continue to have people who really do believe that there will never be enough parking and thus let their architects butcher new opportunities to set new architectural standards for pedestrians in our city.

6. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

Does appear to be a slap-in-the-face moreso than a bait-and-switch, to have the streetcar go up there to promote connectivity to the core while he builds a huge parking crater.

Seems anti urban and par-the-course for this 'architect' (and dare I say - city).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    As promised in the Broadway Park page, I am going to comment here. As neighbors, we are thrilled that such activity center is proposed in the hood. As an urbanist, count me disappointed in the quantity of parking and the orientation of the 'front door'.

Oklahoma Contemporary folks have been strong, vocal, supporters of the streetcar system. They came to the OKC City Council meeting and spoke strongly in favor of the proposed route. It was an extremely controversial meeting and successful passage of the streetcar route framework ensured that we could move forward without further delay. I don't think that Rand had been selected as the architect of the building at that time.

Let's just say that a bunch of us fought hard to extend the streetcar up to 11th street so that Oklahoma Contemporary could have a direct connection to the system. It is a very difficult intersection for us as we have to orient our stop in a unique way and install custom signalization to be able to make the sweeping left hand turn in front of their building to go west on 11th street.

I write all that just to emphasize that the cultural obsession with automobiles by architects and downtown developers is here again elevated in stunning visual detail with the way the building responds to the parking lot instead of the mass transit stop and strong sidewalk fabric to the west.

Until the system is up and running, I guess we will continue to have people who really do believe that there will never be enough parking and thus let their architects butcher new opportunities to set new architectural standards for pedestrians in our city.
    Also, given that performances are held in the evening and on weekends after work, parking will be readily available in many nearby parking garages. Some of those garages are within walking distance and others are directly along the streetcar route.

This seems to be a failure in vision by the architect and organization. This needs to interact with the street, the sidewalks, and the nearby rail transit. This seems to be a poor design aesthetically and functionally.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Does appear to be a slap-in-the-face moreso than a bait-and-switch
    It really is their organization's loss. They came to these controversial meetings and helped make the case for streetcar and greater urbanity. Meanwhile, the bullish sculptural architect somehow sold the board a concept that ignores their earlier efforts. The connective tissue is there. There are sidewalks in the perimeter of the plan. But the relationship of the building is undeniably to the parking lot rather than to Auto Alley or pedestrians. Imagine that cool diagonal sidewalk line oriented directly to the streetcar stop and AA sidewalks to the south instead. It would have helped set a precedent.

I have given up on Rand and his lack of appreciation for actual human beings. He builds sculptures. Many of them are beautiful. I appreciate many of them. It takes a bullish approach to get your art through approval processes. He usually succeeds. He will again in this case probably succeed. It is just a shame that it wouldn't be that terribly hard to make a few simple adjustments in perspective that make his projects so much better. Again... human scale and actual human energy. Instead, these project pursue photographic idealism for architectural coffee books. His projects could do both. If anything, it would probably help them retain longevity and not potentially go the way of Stage Center by some future board.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken In The Rough View Post
    Maybe there is something I'm missing, and I always like Elliott's designs, but I am not a fan of these renderings. This building strongly resembles the North Building of the Denver Art Museum which is widely considered an eyesore.

Elliot straddles the line between rip off and homage a lot. His design for this building is an example of the latter. Only in a place like Oklahoma City can someone this ludicrous become a preeminent architect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken In The Rough View Post

I lived in Denver when the museum was built and I immediately thought the same thing when I saw Rand's design. However, reaction to that building was always mixed. I loved it personally, and still do, as did many other people. I don't have a problem with the design for Oklahoma Contemporary either.

Oklahoma Contemporary Arts will soon bring a high-profile public art display to Campbell Park, adjacent to their future new home near Automobile Alley.

Oklahoma Contemporary entered into agreement with the City of Oklahoma City in 2014 to begin programing the park with public art exhibitions. The frist was the popular TERRA by Orly Genger that recetnly concluded.

Cloud City by Tomas Saraceno would be in place by September of this year and run six to eight weeks at NW 12th & Broadway.

Previous displayed on the rooftop of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, the steel and acrylic structure is transparent and reflective and draws from natural forms such as clouds, bubbles and neural communication networks.

Visitors will be able to walk inside the piece but it will only be open at certain hours and will be protected by security around the clock.

Oklahoma Contemporary recently submitted design plans by Rand Elliot for its new downtown campus that are pending approval of the Downtown Design Review Committee. The organization hopes to move from its current home on the State Fairgrounds.

Kinda neat, I want something like this in the new park permanently.

13. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

I really like that piece. Can't wait to see it in place.

Very interesting. I wish it were permanent, could be OKC's "Chicago Bean".

I like that they are rotating these very well-known pieces.

Gives people reasons to come to the area over and over.

Hopefully stuff like this happens in the new downtown park.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Kinda neat, I want something like this in the new park permanently.
    I agree. I hope we have a great iconic piece of art in the new park that can become what "cloud gate" is to Chicago. this piece actually reminds me a bit of it with the reflective surfaces. excited to see this one.

18. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

Doesn't the city have to spend a certain percentage of the budget for public art, or something like that? Am I making that up?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Doesn't the city have to spend a certain percentage of the budget for public art, or something like that? Am I making that up?
    Certain percent of some public capital projects...

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    I believe it is 2% of the budget of new projects.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I believe it is 2% of the budget of new projects.
    1% of new projects must be allocated for public art.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was 100% over!

I like that they are rotating these very well-known pieces.

Gives people reasons to come to the area over and over.
    I agree. There are plenty of opportunities for permanent art, but this area is perfect for temporary pieces.

24. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

What are the limitations on that? Do things like the new park qualify?

25. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    That's what I meant. The project budget. Should have clarified. But how awesome would it be if they had to spend 1% of the general budget on public art!

Thread Information