Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Contemporary

Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

Press release and some new renderings in advance of tomorrow's DDRC meeting where they are seeking design approval.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Oklahoma Contemporary Seeks Approval
    for Arts Campus Design

OKLAHOMA CITY (July 20, 2016) -- Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center will present detailed plans for its new arts campus, planned for NW 11th and Broadway, to the Downtown Design Review committee Thursday, July 21. The DDRC administers the design review process and issues Certificates of Approval for property located in downtown Oklahoma City.

Oklahoma Contemporary has been working toward the move since a 2011 study found the arts organization could better serve the city and state in a location closer to other Oklahoma City attractions, major workplaces and residential areas. The center has raised 60 percent of the $26 million needed for its new campus and anticipates opening in fall 2018.

"Since our founding as City Arts Center in 1989, more than 45,000 students have gotten their hands dirty and their hearts filled in a class or a camp with us," said Executive Director Donna Rinehart-Keever. Currently located at the state fairgrounds, Oklahoma Contemporary is committed to arts education and keeping art accessible through a broad range of educational programs, exhibitions and cultural offerings.

"We've shown more than 300 artists in the last decade, from Oklahomans in our annual ArtNow exhibition to big names like those coming this fall," Keever said. "But as showstopping as our exhibitions and events have become, education is the beating heart of our mission. From hands-on gallery activities to cutting-edge techniques like 3-D printing and animation, we continue to be a home for artistic exploration and learning creatively. And that home is about to get a lot more square footage."

The 4.6-acre campus will be home to a new 53,916-square-foot building, a renovated 10,000-square-foot building, a three-block arts park and space for outdoor exhibitions, education programs and public performances.

The four-story building, designed by renowned Oklahoma architect Rand Elliott, is called "Folding Light" because of the way the metal exterior will reflect Oklahoma's ever-changing sky.

Architecture is a reflection of the cultural values of a city, Elliott said, and Folding Light embodies the aspirations of our city. "Just as Oklahoma is known for our ever-changing weather, this architecture reflects the dramatic transformation of downtown and our boundless community spirit and celebrates our stunning Oklahoma light," Elliott said.

The arts campus isn't the only Oklahoma Contemporary project up for approval by the DDRC. Cloud City, a large-scale art installation by Tomas Saraceno, will open Sept. 8 at Campbell Art Park, adjacent to the site of the new arts campus.

"Cloud City offers just a glimpse of the kind of dynamic, interactive experiences we'll be able to facilitate on the grounds of our new downtown campus, experiences that bring people together to celebrate art and creativity in Oklahoma," said Artistic Director Jeremiah Davis.

Made of steel and acrylic, Cloud City is both transparent and reflective, so that grass may appear overhead and the sky is reflected onto the ground. The 16 interconnected modules, each the size of a small room, will reflect, refract and rearrange the skyline of downtown.

"This kind of project lays the groundwork for conversations across diverse fields and between communities, creating connections and opening doors to new ways of participating with art in Oklahoma City," Davis said. "It's an exciting time for Oklahoma Contemporary, our city and our state."

Looks like a heat sink.

I'm being an a$$ but someone needs to protest that it doesn't fit in with the hood.

It doesn't conform to many of the downtown standards, such as setbacks, materials and lack of windows.

Should be an interesting discussion at tomorrow's meeting.

WTF are they building that out of? Dowel rods? It looks like the interior of Café 501 in Classen Curve.

And where are the balconies?

6. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

can people from the forum attend?

I sure hope there is some vocal and numerical opposition to this monstrosity; particularly since Rand had 'resistance' to an otherwise URBAN modern midrise that is light years ahead of this thing that should never be concocted.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Yes, all design review meetings are open to the public and anyone can speak.

8. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

Pete, I mispoke my question.

I meant to say, does anyone from the forum plan to attend and voice their opinion on this monstrosity? If I lived-in OKC I surely would be one of the 'hopefully' many who would show up. I hope folks can find the time. ...

fingers-crossed!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

9. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

Again, just feel the need to point out that this falls within DTD-1 rather than DBD, which is where Broadway Park falls. DTD-1, as a transitional district, has somewhat less stringent requirements and is not obligated to take as many design cues from its surroundings. It's great if people want to go and get involved with the public process, but I would advise that you know the zoning differences between the two, lest your efforts be a waste of your time and effort.

Here's a map of the design overlays: https://www.okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=2606

And here is the handout that explains the various ordinances related to each design destrict: https://www.okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=4694

I would advise against shooting from the hip over sujective taste issues or personal differences you might have with someone involved with a project. If you want to take issue with something, would advise that you find something in the ordinance that backs up your viewpoint.

The issues with the setbacks, materials and lack of windows were all mentioned in the report by city planning staff, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    WTF are they building that out of? Dowel rods? It looks like the interior of Café 501 in Classen Curve.

And where are the balconies?
    Rand designed Cafe 501 too.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Rand designed Cafe 501 too.
    I think he designed all the restaurants in Classen Curve (Café 501, Republic, Upper Crust) besides Tucker's.

Approved.

What a terrible design.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Again, just feel the need to point out that this falls within DTD-1 rather than DBD, which is where Broadway Park falls. DTD-1, as a transitional district, has somewhat less stringent requirements and is not obligated to take as many design cues from its surroundings. It's great if people want to go and get involved with the public process, but I would advise that you know the zoning differences between the two, lest your efforts be a waste of your time and effort.

Here's a map of the design overlays: https://www.okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=2606

And here is the handout that explains the various ordinances related to each design destrict: https://www.okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=4694

I would advise against shooting from the hip over sujective taste issues or personal differences you might have with someone involved with a project. If you want to take issue with something, would advise that you find something in the ordinance that backs up your viewpoint.
    Why did this go to the DDRC for approval? The map in the link shows that DTD-1 goes to the UDC.

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    Why did this go to the DDRC for approval? The map in the link shows that DTD-1 goes to the UDC.
    DTD-1 goes to the DDRC.

In five years, add this to Steve Lackmeyer's ugliest buildings in OKC list.

Blog Entries

I like the current shipping container place holder more than I like this design.

I'll reserve judgment until its complete but I'm surprised that so many people feel strongly against it.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

^^^^^^^
    Agreed. I think people are letting their opinions regarding the Broadway Park debate too heavily influence opinions regarding this building. I predict it will be one of those that, as it nears completion, people will quickly change their minds about.

The same complaints regarding lack of urbanist approach can be leveled at buildings in the Boathouse District, but few people go out of their way to dog the design as it's easy there to recognize the fact that a bold architectural statement is also being made; one that goes counter to the perceptions of non-OKC residents. This is likely to be another one of those types of buildings.

21. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

I think people are letting their opinions regarding the Broadway Park debate too heavily influence opinions regarding this building.
    Or maybe people just think the design sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I'm not a fan really any of his designs. They all seem to ignore urban principles and seem to be built to look good on Google Earth, and not from up close. I just can't see how this building looks good.

23. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Do I know you? Seems like about the only times I notice you posting here is when you're making a super ****ty reply to one of my posts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'll reserve judgment until its complete but I'm surprised that so many people feel strongly against it.
    It's kinda like stage center... people either liked it or hated it... and for whatever reason, I don't know why, when I first saw this design, it made me think of a modernized stage center. the design of which I did not like. Nothing to do with other projects. I like some of Rand's other work. And I'd be pleased to be wrong about this. I hope it's just one of those projects that looks better built than on paper.

25. Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary

Do I know you? Seems like about the only times I notice you posting here is when you're making a super ****ty reply to one of my posts.
    Really? Feel free to check my post history. Either you must be super paranoid or one of those "the world revolves around me" types. If all it takes is to disagree with you on a couple of issues to get you worked up then maybe you should avoid forums that promote open discussion.

Thread Information