Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Contemporary

Default Re: Arts Council 12th & Broadway

The City Arts Center is now known as the 'Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center'.

See, it says so, right there in the sign.

From the City Ar... oops, I mean Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center facebook page.

2. Default Re: Arts Council 12th & Broadway

Weird. At the press conference, they repeatedly called it "Oklahoma Contemporary" and as you can see, the sign, and the material given out at the event referred to it as "Oklahoma Contemporary," with no reference to "arts center."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Weird. At the press conference, they repeatedly called it "Oklahoma Contemporary" and as you can see, the sign, and the material given out at the event referred to it as "Oklahoma Contemporary," with no reference to "arts center."
    Steve, it probably is just 'Oklahoma Contemporary'. I was just going from the text in the fb entry, which is likely a mistake. There's no 'Arts Center' in the new sign. The facebook page URL itself only uses 'Oklahoma Contemporary'.

http://www.facebook.com/OklahomaContemporary

So, I'm sure you're right. Consider my post corrected.

However, to throw my own $0.02 in...

I think that "Oklahoma Contemporary" is a bit vague, by itself. If you mentioned that phrase to someone, likely their first response would be "Oklahoma Contemporary what?"

5. Default Re: Arts Council 12th & Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Steve, it probably is just 'Oklahoma Contemporary'. I was just going from the text in the fb entry, which is likely a mistake. There's no 'Arts Center' in the new sign. The facebook page URL itself only uses 'Oklahoma Contemporary'.

http://www.facebook.com/OklahomaContemporary

So, I'm sure you're right. Consider my post corrected.
    I'm not so sure. It's been a real struggle getting good communication from these folks. They refused to give me any real idea as to what the press conference was about, and then had no press release to give out at the press conference.

Ok, well... I'll take that as definitive (I guess). Anyway, including 'Arts Center' in the name makes a lot more sense.

7. Default Re: Arts Council 12th & Broadway

Less than ideal communication on this one, for sure....

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    However, to throw my own $0.02 in...

I think that "Oklahoma Contemporary" is a bit vague, by itself. If you mentioned that phrase to someone, likely their first response would be "Oklahoma Contemporary what?"
    I guess you could say the same about the Tate Modern. (Modern what?)

Home | Tate

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I guess you could say the same about the Tate Modern. (Modern what?)

Home | Tate
    Well, Mary Ann is British, so perhap's you're right.

There's an article (and discussion) about the newly named Oklahoma Contemporary here:

Brand New: Oklahoma Gets its Contemporary On

This is mostly about the branding -- logos, images, etc. They have some nice pics.
    One that really grabs my attention is this photo of the art center's (obviously recent) fold-out brochure:

Now, the picture next to 'CREATIVITY' on the right...is that a rendering for a building?

I'm sure there is more to it than I know about their present location and the move downtown in the coming years but I'm very disappointed that's in the works. I go there now. It's pretty convenient. It will twice as far for me to travel and a lot less likely I will continue to go there in the future after the move.

Full shot of the new sign:

Source: City Arts Center becomes Oklahoma Contemporary

Here's more on the pending move to this downtown location:

Downtown OKC
    Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center looks to move downtown

Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center staff pictured at the future site.
    The Kirkpatrick Family Fund and Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center have acquired 4.5 acres of land in downtown Oklahoma City (NW 12th St. and Broadway Drive) which will become the future home of Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center.

“I am thrilled at the prospect of relocating our organization to this up-and-coming part of town,” said Mary Ann Prior, executive director of Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center. “This is an important investment in the cultural future of Oklahoma City and I passionately believe it will help invigorate the local economy. It will be an inspiration to young people and a welcoming destination for everyone.”

The first grant awarded by the Kirkpatrick Family Fund in 1989 was made to establish Oklahoma Contempoary Arts Center in the former Oklahoma Science and Arts Foundation building at State Fair Park. During the last 23 years the organization has grown and expanded its arts education and exhibits programs.

“I am proud of what Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center has accomplished in its current location and know the organization and its programs will be a welcome addition to the spirited art scene that is emerging in Oklahoma City,” said Christian Keesee, president of the Kirkpatrick Family Fund.

The new Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center will be an integrated arts center and creative workshop that promotes learning through a cycle of creating, inquiring, appreciating and celebrating.

Over the course of the last two years the board of directors of Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center, with the assistance of consulting firm Lord Cultural Resources, has studied current programs, exhibits and audiences. They have also looked at the opportunities to expand education and exhibits programs.

“The Kirkpatrick Family Fund supported this research and the board and staff of Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center are ready to move forward with the design of the new building,” Keesee said.

“The site selected will allow us great scope to design a building that is best suited to carry out our mission related programs,” Prior said. “We look forward to keeping Oklahoma City informed as the plans unfold for the design and programming of this new center for contemporary art.”

Looks like they were using a slightly modified version of that building for a brochure mock-up.

On the materials, they also used www.okc.com as a web address which is not owned by the museum.

I believe all this was just a branding exercise using placeholders and examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe all this was just a branding exercise using placeholders and examples.
    Ok, must be. That answered my next question, which would have been "why are they putting their logo on an existing building?".

I'll have to keep in mind, the next time I see something on that site (underconsideration.com) that it may be nothing more than mockup stuff.

Is this the same parcel of land the Houston developer was wanting to build a big urban apartment complex?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Is this the same parcel of land the Houston developer was wanting to build a big urban apartment complex?
    I'm not 100% sure, but yes, i think this is it. It was the Bomasada Group out of Houston.

Speaking of, I think someone asked Steve recently in a chat if they were looking around again and I think he said they were. It's also possible that I'm just imagining this, but I'm pretty sure it happened in last week's chat.

Maybe Steve can confirm for us that they're poking around again or if Pete's heard anything through his connections?

Yes, it's the same as the once-proposed apartment complex that supposedly died due to lack of a train quiet zone.

HangryHippo Guest

Here is a pertinent article that has some information.

Any news on this as of late?

Default Re: Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center

Wah wah

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Wah wah
    So this is bad? Serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    So this is bad? Serious question.