Widgets Magazine

Thread: Borden's Dutch Chocolate Milk

1. Default Borden's Dutch Chocolate Milk

Crucial post here. World shaking...

Where can I buy Borden brand Dutch Chocolate milk? It used to be everywhere, and then it became rare, and now I don't know where to find it at all. Hiland and all the others are just okay. Borden's Dutch Chocolate? In a class by itself. But, where can I find it?!?

Default Re: Borden's Dutch Chocolate Milk

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Crucial post here. World shaking...

Where can I buy Borden brand Dutch Chocolate milk? It used to be everywhere, and then it became rare, and now I don't know where to find it at all. Hiland and all the others are just okay. Borden's Dutch Chocolate? In a class by itself. But, where can I find it?!?
    Lookin' for the good stuff, huh? Yeah, I know a place -- it'll cost ya though! 7-11 has half-gallons for $3.29.

Wal-Mart has it.

4. Default Re: Borden's Dutch Chocolate Milk

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Wal-Mart has it.
    Which one? I tried one and they said they didn't carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
    Lookin' for the good stuff, huh? Yeah, I know a place -- it'll cost ya though! 7-11 has half-gallons for $3.29.

Ouch! $6.58 a gallon? I like it, it's the best, but.....

Crest

Walmart in Norman does... I assumed that the supercenter's in OKC did as well

So, does, like, Nestlé's suck?
    (Braum's chocolate milk ain't nothin' to write home about . . . or to buy again.=)

I wonder if they shut down an operation here a few years back, Borden's site does not even list Oklahoma in the states it is available, it may now only be in stores that run Oklahoma distribution from Texas.

edit: sounds like brand is a shell of it's former self:
    After significant financial losses in the early 1990s and a leveraged buyout in 1995, Borden divested itself of its various divisions, brands and businesses. KKR shuttered Borden's food products operations in 2001, and divested all its other Borden operations in 2005. The Borden dairy brands are currently used by both Dean Foods and Grupo Lala (as Borden Milk Products) for milk and by Dairy Farmers of America for cheese.

Have you tried Braums chocolate milk?

I agree, Bordens Dutch Chocolate Milk was the best...have tried many other brands and they taste so watered down but tried Braums chocolate milk recently and it was pretty dang good...but only think it is in the half gallon and honestly cant recall how much I paid for it...it was high enough that it wont be an every week purchase...

Then there was Lady Borden Ice Cream...put all of the other brands to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    I agree, Bordens Dutch Chocolate Milk was the best...have tried many other brands and they taste so watered down but tried Braums chocolate milk recently and it was pretty dang good...but only think it is in the half gallon and honestly cant recall how much I paid for it...it was high enough that it wont be an every week purchase...

Then there was Lady Borden Ice Cream...put all of the other brands to shame.
    Then you never tried (or are too young to remember) Jumbo Treat Chocolate Ice Cream. It was sold in big, square gallon cartons with a circus theme; red cartons for vanilla, brown cartons for chocolate. Lady Borden was good, but Jumbo Treat Chocolate was innnnncredible...

I like Braums . . . but their chocolate milk?
    Meh. (but i repeat myself) . . .

The best and most interesting "chocolate milk," that I've had recently, was the result of pouring some Fat Free Braum's Milk over a bowl of "Chocolate Cheerios" that my wife dragged in from somewhere . . . I think it surpassed even the "Cocoa Puffs" milk so highly touted by Jerry Seinfeld years ago.

(The "Dulce de Leche" Milk that results from using a different Cheerios product ain't no slouch neither. =)

13. Default Re: Borden's Dutch Chocolate Milk

Wow...I didn't expect such a response! Thanks for the suggestions. Here's the deal...

I finally broke down and phoned Borden Dairy Company - one of the two successors to the old Borden's Dairy Products. Borden's milk is available in Oklahoma from Dean Foods instead of the Dallas-based Borden Dairy Company. Dean's doesn't have a large distributor, but it is available. According to the nice lady I spoke with, Borden's milk is "just about everywhere," in Texas sold by Borden Dairy . Apparently, Oklahoma is the only state where Dean Foods has the rights to the use of the Borden brand instead of the Borden's in Dallas. It's all the same stuff though and it's all "the same classic recipe" for the Dutch Chocolate milk. She says they get calls and emails from all over the country "all the time" with my very question. I knew I could always find this in Plano and now it all makes sense.

Metro and a couple of others asked about Braum's chocolate milk. Yes, I have tried it and it's pretty darn good - but in its own way. Borden's Dutch Chocolate is just different and sometimes, for me, only the real deal will do. For some of the younger members here who might be wondering what the big deal is, it's been around forever (see the commercial with the cast of FURY below) and if you were raised with the stuff, for many of us, nothing else will do the trick.

Thanks all! (Oh, if you definitely know of a place that sells Borden's in OKC, please post it. I couldn't get an answer from Dean Foods.)

Ahhh....the important things in life.

Crest, I buy the chocolate at the store on Douglas all the time

Dean's also sells Borden's awesome Sour Cream French Onion Dip under their own label. I got frustrated a couple of years ago because we started having trouble finding Borden's dip in the stores, until it was gone entirely. Then we called and found out that Dean's now sells the exact same product under their own label.

The only thing missing from that old TV ad is Fury sticking his head into the shot and neighing while everyone laughs uproariously. (The way that every single episode of the show ended. =)

Suddenly I have a hankerin' fer some Borden's Dutch Chocolate . . .
    (Hey, Mom . . . .)

BDCM available at the Wal-mart Market @ SW 44th & Western, half-gallon, $2.38 Golden Corral used to have it on the weekend breakfast buffet a few years back but they switched brands.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Then you never tried (or are too young to remember) Jumbo Treat Chocolate Ice Cream. It was sold in big, square gallon cartons with a circus theme; red cartons for vanilla, brown cartons for chocolate. Lady Borden was good, but Jumbo Treat Chocolate was innnnncredible...
    Am 48 so you tell me..LOL

I dont recall that brand but we lived all over the country so may not have been available where we were. My Dad's favorite ice Cream has always been Lady Borden. He probably got hooked on it because he was a milkman for Borden's at one point. That's right, I am the son of a milkman. My mom always got a few raised eyebrows when she would tell the folks at church that one. If anyone knows where I can get it or if it is even still being made, please post.

Quote Originally Posted by usmbubba View Post
    Crest, I buy the chocolate at the store on Douglas all the time
    store #1 on reno sells it also
    i buy a 1/2 gal. of it every week, along with a gal. of 2% white milk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    ... That's right, I am the son of a milkman. My mom always got a few raised eyebrows when she would tell the folks at church that one. ...
    Fun-ny! I have a feeling your momma and my momma would have really enjoyed knowing each other.

WalMart Neighborhood Market at Reno and Midwest Blvd - $2.40-ish a half gallon. Saw it Friday

Thread Information