Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: President now controls all resourses

1. Default President now controls all resourses

http://www.examiner.com/finance-exam...l-us-resources

I'm guessing the conservatives will be up in arms on this site, just like the libs would have been if bush did this.
    I think this gives him way too much power. more than a president should have. thoughts?

Default Re: President now controls all rescourses

Well since disasters are predicted to rise for the foreseeable future this does make quite a bit of sense.

If we're going to blame Katrina on the President, I suppose it'd make sense for him to have access to all of our resources.

That said, this has really always been the case. See WWII and rationing.

The comments on that story are amazing

Wow, yea...

Buy guns, ammo and gold.

As a pedant, I'm more concerned about the day that Presidential Control encompasses all resources.
    (not to mention sources)

Until then . . .
    It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood, with a little, much. needed rain.
    (can you say "from heaven"? . . . i knew you could. =)

8. Default Re: President now controls all rescourses

Another brick in the road to 2020 gets put in place. What consitutes "national defense" and who gets to decide? I have seen memeber of congress claim transfats constiute a threat to national securty. Does losing an election constitute 'a threat to national security". How about high gasoline prices?

WASHINGTON (AP) — Inflation remains tame throughout the U.S. economy, with one big exception: gas prices.

Those higher prices haven't derailed a steadily improving economy. But if they surpass $4 or $5 a gallon, experts fear Americans could pull back on spending, and job growth could stall, posing a potentially serious threat to the recovery.

And the longer prices remain high, the more they could imperil President Barack Obama's re-election hopes.

A few weeks ago, economists generally agreed that the economy was in little danger from higher gas prices as long as job growth remained strong. But fears are now mounting that gas prices could begin to weaken consumer confidence.

9. Default Re: President now controls all rescourses

Holy **** - I just read through the Executive Order. No person that loves freedom could support this.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...s-preparedness

I don't happen to think freedom means losing your family and home to a disaster you didn't cause.

11. Default Re: President now controls all rescourses

Quote Originally Posted by HewenttoJared View Post
    I don't happen to think freedom means losing your family and home to a disaster you didn't cause.
    Then I'll bet you didn't read the executive order. Read the part where people can be drafted - not into the military - but into any part of the executive branch, where you will be assigned a job - not based on what you want to do - but based on the needs of the government.

PART VI - LABOR REQUIREMENTS

Sec. 601. Secretary of Labor. (a) The Secretary of Labor, in coordination with the Secretary of Defense and the heads of other agencies, as deemed appropriate by the Secretary of Labor, shall:

(1) collect and maintain data necessary to make a continuing appraisal of the Nation's workforce needs for purposes of national defense;

(2) upon request by the Director of Selective Service, and in coordination with the Secretary of Defense, assist the Director of Selective Service in development of policies regulating the induction and deferment of persons for duty in the armed services;

(3) upon request from the head of an agency with authority under this order, consult with that agency with respect to: (i) the effect of contemplated actions on labor demand and utilization; (ii) the relation of labor demand to materials and facilities requirements; and (iii) such other matters as will assist in making the exercise of priority and allocations functions consistent with effective utilization and distribution of labor;

(4) upon request from the head of an agency with authority under this order: (i) formulate plans, programs, and policies for meeting the labor requirements of actions to be taken for national defense purposes; and (ii) estimate training needs to help address national defense requirements and promote necessary and appropriate training programs; and

(5) develop and implement an effective labor management relations policy to support the activities and programs under this order, with the cooperation of other agencies as deemed appropriate by the Secretary of Labor, including the National Labor Relations Board, the Federal Labor Relations Authority, the National Mediation Board, and the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service.

(b) All agencies shall cooperate with the Secretary of Labor, upon request, for the purposes of this section, to the extent permitted by law.
    Still no word on what constitutes a national emergency, national defense, or threats to national security and who gets to decide such.

Well right now we can be drafted to fight in wars I don't believe in. Why would it be more upsetting if I was drafted for FEMA-type work? The reality is that our burning of carbon fuels has stolen the rights of hundreds of millions of people living today and in the future. To deal with this mess, which Americans created, we might have to temporarily make sacrifices. Sounds like we're getting off easy to me...

Quote Originally Posted by HewenttoJared View Post
    Well right now we can be drafted to fight in wars I don't believe in. Why would it be more upsetting if I was drafted for FEMA-type work? The reality is that our burning of carbon fuels has stolen the rights of hundreds of millions of people living today and in the future. To deal with this mess, which Americans created, we might have to temporarily make sacrifices. Sounds like we're getting off easy to me...
    no you actually can't .. without the authority of congress

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Holy **** - I just read through the Executive Order. No person that loves freedom could support this.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...s-preparedness
    What freedoms are you losing?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I'll take the Harvard scholar over that mass of reality-deniers any day. My only real concern is this being used by GOP presidents in the event that they ever manage to get elected again.

16. Default Re: President now controls all rescourses

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Correction - with this executive order HWTJ is correct. He can be drafted into a war without authorization from Congress. He can also be 'reassigned' to a labor camp if the President or one of the Cabinet heads so chooses.

17. Default Re: President now controls all rescourses

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    What freedoms are you losing?
    You didn't read the executive order did you. Read it first, then we can discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Correction - with this executive order HWTJ is correct. He can be drafted into a war without authorization from Congress. He can also be 'reassigned' to a labor camp if the President or one of the Cabinet heads so chooses.
    Such things may become necessary if ignorance continues to be the defining feature of our energy and security policy. That's what is so crazy about the current libertarians complete intolerance for reality. It has the potential to make draconian control our only hope for survival in the coming years.

Real or not, all problems do not stem from our energy policy.

This is my impersonation of a global warming anti-skeptic.

*The temperature is going up...Too Much Carbon Dioxide
    *The temperature is going down...Too Much Carbond Dioxide
    *The oceans are rising...Too Much Carbon Dioxide
    *The oceans are receding...Too Much Carbon Dioxide
    *There are more tornadoes this season...Too Much Carbon Dioxide
    *There were less tornadoes this season...Too Much Carbon Dioxide
    *The banks are cheating...Too Much Carbon Dioxide & the Fed Sucks
    *The government is over reaching...Too Much Carbon Dioxide and Bush Sucks

There is one thing I can state with absolute certainty: there is way to much carbon dioxide coming out of Washington D.C.

Default Re: President now controls all resourses

And the prevailing winds are blowing in a . . .
    Is that easterly or westerly direction?
    I forget. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Real or not, all problems do not stem from our energy policy.

This is my impersonation of a global warming anti-skeptic.

*The temperature is going up...Too Much Carbon Dioxide
    *The temperature is going down...Too Much Carbond Dioxide
    *The oceans are rising...Too Much Carbon Dioxide
    *The oceans are receding...Too Much Carbon Dioxide
    *There are more tornadoes this season...Too Much Carbon Dioxide
    *There were less tornadoes this season...Too Much Carbon Dioxide
    *The banks are cheating...Too Much Carbon Dioxide & the Fed Sucks
    *The government is over reaching...Too Much Carbon Dioxide and Bush Sucks

There is one thing I can state with absolute certainty: there is way to much carbon dioxide coming out of Washington D.C.
    6 of those are demonstrably true in the scientific literature. But I bet you know more than the thousands who published and reviewed those studies.

Is there a reason why you, Mr. HWTJ, Sir, would make such a bet?
    (Or why you might seem to think that "government" has any realistic control over less than positive weather events such as earthquakes and tsunamis)?--Sorry, way too much Weather Channel . . .)

I think I could prove that CO2 has something to do with all of those, but can anyone prove that nothing else has to do with all of those?

or at least the first six...

Nobody in the scientific community would ever claim that nothing else has an influence on those. Stop knocking down straw men.

Thread Information