Widgets Magazine

Thread: History of Urban Development

Default History of Urban Development

For those interested in such things, I just finished a 4 part series on NetFlix that provides a good glimpse into the history of urban design (although that was not the main subject of the series). It is a British documentary about the influences on London buildings that were brought back by young men embarking on the Grand Tour in the late 1700s. It was pretty cool to watch. Each episode was about 48 minutes. It was actually good enough to watch twice.

It is called Kevin McCloud's Grand Tour

http://movies.netflix.com/WiSearch?o...7s+Grand+Tour+

Television presenter Kevin McCloud follows in the footsteps of the most notorious aristocrats, artists and architects of the Grand Tour, reveling in the sights, sounds, tastes and smells that changed the way we lived.

Default Re: History of Urban Development

Cool, thanks Kerry.

Sid, Try this: (Amazon.com) Even though it's not the video, the video can't be too far behind.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...d+Tour&x=0&y=0

Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have to re-start my netflix, but I may do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have to re-start my netflix, but I may do that.
    Just do the 2 week free trial, or go halves with Sid. You can attach 7 devices to each NetFlix account. I started watching the series again and I enjoy them better the second time because I can focus on different things than the first time around. I just wish there were more videos like this out there. I have been thinking about making my own 'book' and video - I would call it "Urban Eye for the Suburban Guy"

This particular dvd appears to be a "grand tour" of cliche European landmarks? I don't see how this is a "history of urban development," to be honest.

This particular dvd appears to be a "grand tour" of cliche European landmarks? I don't see how this is a "history of urban development," to be honest.
    I said in the original post that the main topic was not about the history of urban development, it was about the influence of Grand Tourist on the architecture of London in the 1700's. You have to watch it to pick up on the urban history aspect, like where the public square originated.

Well that was more of an opportunity presented by having large city-wide fires that led to massive rebuilding of an entire city at once.

How would the public squares in Paris be the result of a fire in London? True, the public square made it to London as a result of the fire, but the reason the public square was imported is the important part. To quote the show, “the public square is the most civilized way to live in a city." The Grand Tourist of London understood that and imported the idea after large tracks of urban land became available for re-development; kind of like how large tracks of urban land in OKC just became available.

Alas, I didn't want to debate the shows content, I was just offering it up for those that are interested in how other cities developed what we know today as walkable neighborhoods and pedestrian oriented development. Some people see London as the ultimate pedestrian city but it got that way by copying building and design principles from France, multiple cities in Italy, and Greece. If you didn't see that component within the larger picture then you didn't watch it with the same eye I did - no bid deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I said in the original post that the main topic was not about the history of urban development, it was about the influence of Grand Tourist on the architecture of London in the 1700's. You have to watch it to pick up on the urban history aspect, like where the public square originated.
    The public square originated in Athens. In fact, it is where democracy began, in the public square where speakers came and people gathered. At least that is what they tell me in Athens and is part of their history tour. Given that Athens is way older than London, I would tend to believe them. However, I believe the oldest continuous urban area is Damascus.

In history, the western Europeans would have us believe that everything originated there. LOL. When you travel the world and see its real history you get a far different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The public square originated in Athens.
    Different kind of public square Rover. The one in the documentary was specifically designed for the recreation and enjoyment of the row houses surrounding it -and like I said, it wasn't invented in London, it was imported to London from Paris in the 1700's.

I'll tell you guys what. When you watch it then we can talk about it. Otherwise, just take the suggestion under advisement.

Blog Entries

BTW, did it mention London is the 17th most dangerous city in the world for pedestrians and not in the top 50 in the world for pedestrian commutes.

Sorry, JTF, just had to say something that would get you going.

BTW, did it mention London is the 17th most dangerous city in the world for pedestrians and not in the top 50 in the world for pedestrian commutes.

Sorry, JTF, just had to say something that would get you going.
    No, it didn't mention that. It was about how the architecture of London was influenced by 18th century grand tourist. But that is an interesting stat. My kids asked me why so many boats sink in the Bermuda triangle. I told them that is because that's where the most boats are.

Blog Entries

Sorry, it is per 1000, not total. So, the "there's where the boats are" doesn't float.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    How would the public squares in Paris be the result of a fire in London? True, the public square made it to London as a result of the fire, but the reason the public square was imported is the important part. To quote the show, “the public square is the most civilized way to live in a city." The Grand Tourist of London understood that and imported the idea after large tracks of urban land became available for re-development; kind of like how large tracks of urban land in OKC just became available.

Alas, I didn't want to debate the shows content, I was just offering it up for those that are interested in how other cities developed what we know today as walkable neighborhoods and pedestrian oriented development. Some people see London as the ultimate pedestrian city but it got that way by copying building and design principles from France, multiple cities in Italy, and Greece. If you didn't see that component within the larger picture then you didn't watch it with the same eye I did - no bid deal.
    London has large, expansive green spaces. Paris does not, which is very indicative of never having a large fire on that level. Paris still follows more of a medieval city "grid" (or lack thereof) in terms of its layout, and while they do have the occasional grand square or plaza, they just don't have spaces like Hyde Park.

The idea that you need lots of green space in a city was one that developed right after the Plague. European cities were getting overly-cramped and diseases were spreading, and planners realized that they could slow down the spread of disease and fire by injecting large expanses of green space, as well as the added ability for the city to "breath."

Blog Entries

Actually, a number of the most dense cities in the world are French. Many of the French cities are hemmed in by protective agricultural restrictions. But, the French tend to be more concentrated in clusters. Paris has wide streets and boulevards and many plazas and fewer parks.

Well that was more of an opportunity presented by having large city-wide fires that led to massive rebuilding of an entire city at once.
    Or in a modern OKC context, the relocation of a major highway...LOL

Actually, a number of the most dense cities in the world are French. Many of the French cities are hemmed in by protective agricultural restrictions. But, the French tend to be more concentrated in clusters. Paris has wide streets and boulevards and many plazas and fewer parks.
    Maybe due to the influence of the grape? No, not that influence, but the way grapes grow? LOL

Well, Paris simply has a more medieval layout because it never burned en masse. They had to tear out large swaths for the construction of Baron Haussmann's boulevards.

Blog Entries

I presume you are talking about old central Paris, which is 20% of Paris. Much of the rest suffers from different planning philosophies imposed in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Consequential to the preservation of old Paris is the pricing out the lower and much of the middle class. Ironically, by preserving the old city it in fact decreased diversity by forcing the lower economic groups to the areas outside of the ring. The effect of the trains splitting up the city contributed too.

Another documentary on urban development worth watching is "The Next American Dream". It was released in 2009 and I recently watched it on OETA. It focuses on the decline and recovery of the Kansas City downtown district. The parallels between KC and OKC are very obvious. May be worth a look if you have the chance.

If anyone has 90 minutes to kill and wants to watch something a little different, check out '10 mph'. A guy rides a segway from Seattle to Boston. Life is different at 10 mph.

10 MPH }{ Segway roadtrip across America }{ A Documentary Film

It is available on Netflix instant view.

Thread Information