Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sunbeam

Default Re: Sunbeam Family Services - New Home

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    In addition to the main building, there will be a small shelter for seniors as shown on this site plan recently submitted to the planning commission:

Just curious, what is the story on those street names on 13th and 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCyrus View Post
    Just curious, what is the story on those street names on 13th and 14th?
    Those were the original names of the streets when the subdivision was platted. This info can be found on the County Clerk website.

In this case, this is Block 7 of the Shields Heights Subdivision:

http://clerkpi.oklahomacounty.org/pl...%20BLK%207.pdf

Default Re: Classen Terrace Building

Construction about to begin:

Sunbeam breaks ground for new building in Oklahoma City | News OK

More info about Sunbeam's relocation and fundraising here (with a rendering):

Sunbeam Family Services relocates campus after 100 years | The City Sentinel

Sunbeam has its own page with info about the relocation:

Sunbeam Family Services :: Campaign

With the following renderings:

They're not very large, but I couldn't find any bigger images at the site.

Ok, found some really good, large renderings from REES Associates (who designed the building) at this page:

Sunbeam Family Services | REES

6. Default Re: Classen Terrace Building

Somebody has been looking at too many Frank Lloyd Wright books, lol.

Looks really nice just like my grandmas nursing home in Enid.

It doesn't look bad.

It doesn't look good.

The NewsOK rendering is atrocious but the ones that have followed aren't bad. I'm not thrilled enough to embrace the design, as it is extreeeemely suburb-y, but it hugs the street well, I appreciate the logical design (at least the architects weren't smoking crack like usual), and the Frank Lloyd Wright nod will be quite appropriate on Classen.

I think adding more of this elegant flattened dormers would make this a more lovable design. Renovating the original building would have been a lot better.

Sunbeam Family Services | REES

Sunbeam Family Services is an Oklahoma City based not-for profit organization in need of a new facility that is both technically advanced and operationally efficient. Sunbeam offers services to the community including leadership groups, early childhood education, counseling, foster care, senior companions, respite care, caregiver fundamental training and a senior shelter.

The new 45,000 square foot space REES has designed is intended to address current space needs and Sunbeam’s anticipated staff and services growth. This includes adding spaces that do not exist in their current space.

Isn't there a thread for this?

12. Default Re: Sunbeam Family Services - New Home

Post a link to the thread, metro.

Major dirt work has started on this site. Just goes to show how much construction is going on in this area when the start of this project goes virtually unnoticed.

So why did they demolish the previous building? Did they out grow it or was it structurally not feasible? Reason I ask is that the building before could have really been a head turner, but I know sometimes that it is not as feasible. based on the demo pics it seems that it was concrete construction so that would or should have allowed for it to be repurposed fairly easily. from the later pictures it looked all boarded up or something, but based on the earlier pictures, Man as soon as I saw it all sorts of cool ideas popped into my head, if they replaced all the glazing and sealed and painted/Stained and sealed the floor slabs that projected (or reclad with a Metal). I pictured a the center grid piece as stained a dark charcoal grey along with the floor slabs on right hand side of the building and then the slabs on the left clad in a deep red with floor to ceiling glass windows with a reflective coating. Anyway, just daydreaming here, just hate to see buildings with great bones demolished and replaced with designs that I would consider retirement home worthy.

It's usually cheaper just to demo and start over.

That old Classen Terrace building was in pretty bad shape... Nothing like the b&w photos shown above. It had been completely vacant for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's usually cheaper just to demo and start over.

That old Classen Terrace building was in pretty bad shape... Nothing like the b&w photos shown above. It had been completely vacant for some time.
    We usually agree and youre obv the man but I agree that that's the perception that is almost always wrong...

It's too bad they couldn't have built a more urban, zero lot line design with parking in the back. I'm glad something is going back in this space, but sad we lost such an architectural gem.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    It's too bad they couldn't have built a more urban, zero lot line design with parking in the back. I'm glad something is going back in this space, but sad we lost such an architectural gem.
    I think it is built out to Classen with the parking either in the back or on the side.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sunbeam Family Services

Didn't get a picture but concrete has been poured on this site...

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I think it is built out to Classen with the parking either in the back or on the side.
    I don't think it is, I live blocks away from this and drive by it multiple times daily (obviously can't take public transit by it daily). Walls are going up, but sure don't see foundation slab coming up to Classen.

Blog Entries

I was going to say the same thing but I got such a quick glance at it that I wanted to drive by one more time...

From the article above:

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1477_1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	407.2 KB 
ID:	6224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1480.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	997.1 KB 
ID:	6225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1479.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	927.9 KB 
ID:	6226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1478_1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	672.4 KB 
ID:	6227

Some pictures I took on a drive by today. Not sure if they tell you much, but...

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I don't think it is, I live blocks away from this and drive by it multiple times daily (obviously can't take public transit by it daily). Walls are going up, but sure don't see foundation slab coming up to Classen.
    I live near if as well but haven't driven by recently. From the rendering it appears that most of it will be built out fairly close to classen.

Thread Information