Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Villa Teresa

Default Re: Villa Teresa

attended Villa as well. How many grade schools have a pool? I was there when they did the Kindergarten annex across the street.
    My hope for the grounds was that some charter school would start in its place. It would be a great place for a school for working parents who work downtown.

4 of the nuns in the picture were my teachers. (can anyone top that?)

This is sad.

3. Default Re: Villa Teresa

What years did you attend Retro? I was there from 88-90 (pre-k through 1st grade) and was in the annex across the street when it opened.

In thinking more about the full context of the development boom, I kind of wish this would remain a Catholic school. We have enough places for development.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    What years did you attend Retro? I was there from 88-90 (pre-k through 1st grade) and was in the annex across the street when it opened.
    I was there from about 84-90. I never had class in the kindergarten but was a 4th grader when they started it.

I too wish this school had remained open and in its historical context. Particularly since it was run by an order of religious, I think it added an element of history and educational diversity, not just to Midtown but the city as a whole. Although I'm not Catholic, living in St. Louis which has such a network of historic, Catholic, urban schools, I have come to appreciate the sense of history and the immense educational value. The bars, local restaurants, shops, apts, everything going in Midtown is great, don't get me wrong. But it's all new, and I don't want the area to lack a sense of "soul."

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    attended Villa as well. How many grade schools have a pool? I was there when they did the Kindergarten annex across the street.
    My hope for the grounds was that some charter school would start in its place. It would be a great place for a school for working parents who work downtown.

4 of the nuns in the picture were my teachers. (can anyone top that?)
    I went there a tad{or more}before you and I can recognize 1 or 2 of them and that's being generous. This is sad to see, it was a beautiful building and had many a good memories there. Does anyone else remember the wonderful swimming pool they had there?

8. Default Re: Villa Teresa

it is sad, particularly given the population influx that is happening (and really about to happen) downtown. They surely would have picked up many students and filled those rolls. Too bad they couldn't hang on.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

they also had a great summer school program for working parents. It was arts and crafts in the morning, then swimming and naps in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    they also had a great summer school program for working parents. It was arts and crafts in the morning, then swimming and naps in the afternoon.
    Hell, I want to do that as an adult...

11. Default Re: Villa Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    In thinking more about the full context of the development boom, I kind of wish this would remain a Catholic school. We have enough places for development.
    Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I too wish this school had remained open and in its historical context. Particularly since it was run by an order of religious, I think it added an element of history and educational diversity, not just to Midtown but the city as a whole. Although I'm not Catholic, living in St. Louis which has such a network of historic, Catholic, urban schools, I have come to appreciate the sense of history and the immense educational value. The bars, local restaurants, shops, apts, everything going in Midtown is great, don't get me wrong. But it's all new, and I don't want the area to lack a sense of "soul."
    Yes and yes.

At least the school is coming to an end at a time where the City and Midtown are completely booming.

I'm sure it will be purchased and redeveloped in the near future.

Officially listed (on the MLS!) for $6.5 million.

Note the realtor's emphasis on it NOT being historically preserved.

1300 Classen Drive

The Villa Teresa Convent and School is located in the heart of Midtown, betweew 13th, Dewey, Classen, and Shartel. 6 Buildings consist of 59,770 sq ft MOL total, the largest being the convent w over 30K sq ft and 44 sleeping room. Approx 3.5 net acres or 152,435 net sq ft. This classic property is Zoned DTD-1 and is NOT historically preserved. A private tour of the campus is available w appt. & takes about and hour.

14. Default Re: Villa Teresa

I took these last Sunday, October 12

https://www.flickr.com/photos/willia...7648456049679/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Officially listed (on the MLS!) for $6.5 million.

Note the realtor's emphasis on it NOT being historically preserved.

1300 Classen Drive
    It is not usual to list these kinds of things on the MLS, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    It is not usual to list these kinds of things on the MLS, right?
    Pretty unusual for a commercial property to be listed on the MLS.

They are also using a residential realtor rather than a commercial broker for some reason.

Pretty unusual for a commercial property to be listed on the MLS.

They are also using a residential realtor rather than a commercial broker for some reason.
    Sounds like a decision born of inexperience which might cost the sisters some serious $$$.

Also, it's interesting they are just openly listing this property.

I suppose the first $6.5 million (or close) takes it.

No formal bidding process to simultaneously evaluate any/all potential buyers and their plans, etc.

Usually, the property owner would ask for RFP's and be concerned about what happens to the property. Not saying they don't care, just a strange way to go about this.

This campus would be great for an elder care/hospice living center. It's got a commons, a garden and a pool. Quiet neighborhood, access to healthcare. It's a real gem for a purposeful buyer.

One of the issues with this property is a total lack of parking.

They could demolish some of the buildings for this purpose but I'd rather see the new owner purchase part of the church property to the NE or the vacant lot to the south. Otherwise the pool area could become the site for a small parking structure.

One of the issues with this property is a total lack of parking.

They could demolish some of the buildings for this purpose but I'd rather see the new owner purchase part of the church property to the NE or the vacant lot to the south. Otherwise the pool area could become the site for a small parking structure.
    As a member of that church (First Unitarian) I will say that we are not going anywhere! Indeed we might be more vibrant than in years.

Also that little triangle of land SE of the Unitarian Church and E of Villa Theresa is part of the VT campus, although you don't have it marked as such. That area was their main playground. Immediately after they closed the school they tore out all the playground equipment, though.

Edit: My point is that if the Unitarian church owned that lot we'd have already built something on it. Probably years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    As a member of that church (First Unitarian) I will say that we are not going anywhere! Indeed we might be more vibrant than in years.

Also that little triangle of land SE of the Unitarian Church and E of Villa Theresa is part of the VT campus, although you don't have it marked as such. That area was their main playground. Immediately after they closed the school they tore out all the playground equipment, though.

Edit: My point is that if the Unitarian church owned that lot we'd have already built something on it. Probably years ago.
    Thanks for the correction -- I updated the aerial.

Since VT owns that lot to the east of the church, that would be a good spot for structured parking.

23. Default Re: Villa Teresa

There is street parking on Classen Drive and some could be added on Dewey. Also, the SE corner of the property touches the streetcar route. Depending on the use for the property, I don't see a huge parking problem here. If the density of the site is increased, maybe.

When the school was open, there were tons of cars in that vacant lot to the south. Ultimately, the owner put up a fence to stop the practice.

And that was with nuns and kids; neither of those groups do a lot of driving. And with The Edge lot completely vacant.

There is 60,000 square feet of building space with more to come. They are going to have to create a parking lot and maybe even a structure.

Pete, at one point in the late 80's early 90's Villa Teresa owned or rented a lot that was at the southeast corner of 13th and Dewey. Do you know if they owned or just rented this? and when they sold it?

Thread Information