Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Villa Teresa

Blog Entries

Default Re: Villa Teresa

Do we know why the south-most unit is being built with concrete block while the others are all stick built?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Do we know why the south-most unit is being built with concrete block while the others are all stick built?
    see here https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...85#post1018785

the corner is multi family

Blog Entries

Oh nice, missed that, thanks!

Love the density of this area!

Remains one of my favorite projects. Note the roof pitch of the new construction match that of the old buildings.

Beautiful infill project...one of my favorites...

Blog Entries

The pics are great, but I went by yesterday and I think they look even better in person. Big win in MidTown

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The pics are great, but I went by yesterday and I think they look even better in person. Big win in MidTown
    Yep. Looks awesome.

Most the units are over $1 million and all are around $425/SF.

Squre footage on them? Units per building?

I just can't get over how well the land has been used i this area. Almost every project has just nailed urban design principles. The change from 15 years ago is astounding. I've probably posted this same sentiment on 10 different Midtown threads. lol

^^^^

21. Default Re: Villa Teresa

I agree (building-wise), excellent execution overall in midtown and most of downtown - with a few exceptions:

1) we didn't bury the utility lines
    2) we didn't add in urban lighting and
    3) trees that front the street separating from the sidewalk (we allow too many suburban style developments with trees fronting the building and the sidewalk fronting the street)

4) there's too few storefronts - I know the argument, oh they will sit empty. But not forever. If the development doesn't include storefronts in its very design then it NEVER will exist vs. if it's built in design then it could be leased once the population density warrants.

In my opinion, EVERY development in the urban core needs to have THESE 4) principles in addition to 5) sidewalks separated from the street (by trees/lighting/transit).

THAT is the dense, safe, urban design that YES we're much better than before but if we adopted in principle for nearly every development then we'd have the urban downtown we all are striving for and can compete with other major cities. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I agree with all your points. In which recently built/renovated Midtown buildings would you like to see more storefronts? Seems like they did pretty well on that, no?

I love how this is coming along. It definitely gives a more urban feel to the area. Now, if only the mid/high rise apartment building across the street would come to fruition.

24. Default Re: Villa Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I agree with all your points. In which recently built/renovated Midtown buildings would you like to see more storefronts? Seems like they did pretty well on that, no?
    In that neighborhood - looking at the picture; I think Edge is sorely lacking in retail. It is a modern design very well executed but there should be the first floor LINED with storefronts on all four sides.

I agree Midtown has done very well, better than other districts other than Auto Alley (which were storefronts anyway). But my point was that we should extend that design to all of downtown - deep deuce is the prime culprit: once a thriving African American downtown!!! today has little to no retail or even options for it. Yet there are many Edge sized apartment developments that should have the first floor lined with storefronts - that could be rented and liven that district.

My point on pedestrian interaction with the streets is still very valid even in most of downtown - THAT should be another condition for the city and developers; we need URBAN sidewalk design not pedestrians basically walking on the street still.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Just so you know, all those storefronts in Midtown are suffering and were long before the pandemic.

It's fine to want retail at ground level but for the most part, those types of businesses in the downtown area are not viable.

Same with Auto Alley.

I'm sad to say we are likely to see several of these businesses close before long.

Thread Information