Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DT Public Basketball Court

Default Re: DT Public Basketball Court

Great news. Wayyyyyyy overdue. We need several scattered through Midtown, Downtown, and Uptown.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Great news. Wayyyyyyy overdue. We need several scattered through Midtown, Downtown, and Uptown.
    Exactly!, You want to be a big league city you must have public urban b-ball courts. I could give you at least a dozen good locations for outdoor courts. Very little cost in building these basketball courts. Also with the success of the Thunder there are more basketball fans in Okc than ever in our history. Every Okc kid wants to be the next KD, Westbrook, Nick Collison or even Blake Griffin.

I would like to see the Thunder organization get behind a campaign to build more urban outdoor b-ball courts.

Good for Jane! I have to say I'm surprised to see this happen after all these years. The lights, fencing, and full court instead of half court all will make this the best outdoor option available by far.

4. Default Re: DT Public Basketball Court

I'm super pumped. I just wish they were building more.

Some time ago they a big three-on-three tournament on a bunch of the downtown streets. Set up a bunch of temporary goals and played a ton of half-court games. The ad below was from 1990.

Whatever happened to this? I remember it was very popular. Really easy way to bring people downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Would also be good for one of these new housing developments (Edge, LEVEL, Bricktown East) to build a court locally as well.
    My only concern with this location is 'eyes on the court at night' since it is several blocks from the nearest residences. With it being on an open lot with long sight lines I hope it can keep from becoming a 'hangout location' during the over-night hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Some time ago they a big three-on-three tournament on a bunch of the downtown streets. Set up a bunch of temporary goals and played a ton of half-court games. The ad below was from 1990.

Whatever happened to this? I remember it was very popular. Really easy way to bring people downtown.

I remember this. When I was little, my dad played in it a couple of years and we would go watch. At the time I thought it was super cool and couldnt wait to play in it myself. However a few years later it stopped. It was an awesome event though, complete with 3 point and dunk contest.

This is going to be awesome! I hope they put some sort of temp bleachers or seating around the court for us less athletically inclined individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by jungmuny View Post
    Good for Jane! I have to say I'm surprised to see this happen after all these years. The lights, fencing, and full court instead of half court all will make this the best outdoor option available by far.
    This is the only noticeable (and much appreciated) accomplishment that I've noticed since she arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    This is the only noticeable (and much appreciated) accomplishment that I've noticed since she arrived.
    getting the BID renewed and expanded .. was a huge deal

This is pretty cool, but I'd rather see it go into an area that is more residential. I do not believe that a convention center and its ruined surroundings need a basketball court.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This is pretty cool, but I'd rather see it go into an area that is more residential. I do not believe that a convention center and its ruined surroundings need a basketball court.
    Spartan, the basketball court won't have any connection to the convention center. It is temporary and will disappear when the convention center is built. If it's used in the meanwhile what is the problem? It may give an impetus to other similar facilities nearer to residential if it is successful

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Spartan, the basketball court won't have any connection to the convention center. It is temporary and will disappear when the convention center is built. If it's used in the meanwhile what is the problem? It may give an impetus to other similar facilities nearer to residential if it is successful
    The arena front would make a great background for it if they put one in the north east corner of central park later, slant it to go parallel to the Chesapeake Arena Court and put any seats on the southwest side for view.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    getting the BID renewed and expanded .. was a huge deal
    Good point. I guess I meant first major public ally visible accomplishment. The BID renewal was a big thing on the b2B side, although I know they wanted to do it several years early.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    The arena front would make a great background for it if they put one in the north east corner of central park later, slant it to go parallel to the Chesapeake Arena Court and put any seats on the southwest side for view.
    I just don't think that would happen, especially on the boulevard frontage. Either they're looking to drop a lot of money into a park that nobody will use, or they will need more funding for the convention palace and then amenities like this become a reality not just on the south part of the park, but also the north edge.

On the bright side, I think the SkyDance Bridge could be a really cool backdrop for a bball court that in theory, people would use.

I just don't think that would happen, especially on the boulevard frontage. Either they're looking to drop a lot of money into a park that nobody will use, or they will need more funding for the convention palace and then amenities like this become a reality not just on the south part of the park, but also the north edge.

On the bright side, I think the SkyDance Bridge could be a really cool backdrop for a bball court that in theory, people would use.
    I don't think it would happen either, just saying it could be a nice location.

I will be at the meeting march 15 to offer my support..What is this going to do to the parking situation? Did REHCO DEV sell this parcel to the city.. I am sooo confused about this..

Quote Originally Posted by Reno and Walker View Post
    I will be at the meeting march 15 to offer my support..What is this going to do to the parking situation? Did REHCO DEV sell this parcel to the city.. I am sooo confused about this..
    This was a car dealership until a couple years ago, at most we lost a small temporary parking source that is dwarfed by the gains in parking from Project 180.

I love this idea...but I agree put in another one. One thing I would like to add is put in some soccer goals for some futsal. For those of us who are more inclined to use our feet

Totally agree! They should be in neighborhoods! There are so many empty lots the city owns that could be converted to a basketball court or depending on the neighborhood a tennis court.

This was a car dealership until a couple years ago, at most we lost a small temporary parking source that is dwarfed by the gains in parking from Project 180.
    I know I read that parking was supposed to be greatly enhanced with Project 180 but with the recent cutbacks in it, is this still the case?

Project 180 LOL More parking LOL Wow now thats funny

Quote Originally Posted by Reno and Walker View Post
    Project 180 LOL More parking LOL Wow now thats funny
    Not if you know the facts, because it's true, and with you being a downtown business owner, I'm surprised by your lack of knowledge. Project 180 has added numerous curb side parking spots, and that's a fact.

Maybe a completed Project 180 will provide more parking space but that could still be years away. I think that is what Reno and Walker was getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Maybe a completed Project 180 will provide more parking space but that could still be years away. I think that is what Reno and Walker was getting at.
    Several spaces have already been added around the Myriad Gardens (just to name a few). But why let facts get in the way.

Thread Information