Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: DT Getting Ready for NBA Playoffs

1. Default Re: DT Getting Ready for NBA Playoffs

Back when I could still walk a few blocks without being tortuously winded, I had season tickets during the 1st 2 Thunder seasons and I attended a large number of games when the Hornets were here, more than half and probably closer to 3/4 of the games. I don't recall when it happened, but on exiting the arena after some Thunder game, a group of Sooner musicians were blasting away and hurting my ears by presenting the tune "Boomer Sooner" along the exit-passage way. Of course, that was nice to the ears of OU fans, who picked up on the tune and collegiate theme and roused them on. But, for me, an OSU fan, at a game featuring the Oklahoma City's team, it virtually ruined the game experience and I left the arena with a very sour taste in my mouth.

The genius, at least the potential genius, of having an NBA team here is that it pulls EVERYONE in the city together, including those who never graduated from high school much less went to any college in the state, and regardless of economic, racial or other classifications. All Oklahoma Citians, regardless of demographics, become tight-knit, at least on game day if not beyond, and there is only one unit, one source of identification, and that source is our city's team and our common bond it supporting that team to the hilt.

Throw in some adolescent college stuff into the mix and quite a different product emerges. It is divisive, not only of those who attended a university in the state, but also of those who didn't finish high school and for whom college at any place was beyond their reach and possibility. OU/OSU/Other U college trappings speak volumes to social and economic issues for those who are on the outside of such groups, looking in.

There is NO place at Thunder games for anything that smacks of ANY state university. This team represents Oklahoma City --- and ALL of its citizens --- not just OU, not just OSU, not just those who live in fine homes but those who live in poverty, as well.

Our city's NBA team is a universal-rallying-point, as it should be, in some measure not at all unlike the city coming together after the Murrah Bombing. We sure as heck don't need anything which would detract from that being inserted into the mix and screwing around with our common bond.

Default Re: DT Getting Ready for NBA Playoffs

Doug - that is proof positive that isn't our differences that make us strong - it what we have in common that binds us together. That is true not just in sports, but in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Back when I could still walk a few blocks without being tortuously winded, I had season tickets during the 1st 2 Thunder seasons and I attended a large number of games when the Hornets were here, more than half and probably closer to 3/4 of the games. I don't recall when it happened, but on exiting the arena after some Thunder game, a group of Sooner musicians were blasting away and hurting my ears by presenting the tune "Boomer Sooner" along the exit-passage way. Of course, that was nice to the ears of OU fans, who picked up on the tune and collegiate theme and roused them on. But, for me, an OSU fan, at a game featuring the Oklahoma City's team, it virtually ruined the game experience and I left the arena with a very sour taste in my mouth.

The genius, at least the potential genius, of having an NBA team here is that it pulls EVERYONE in the city together, including those who never graduated from high school much less went to any college in the state, and regardless of economic, racial or other classifications. All Oklahoma Citians, regardless of demographics, become tight-knit, at least on game day if not beyond, and there is only one unit, one source of identification, and that source is our city's team.

Throw in some adolescent college stuff into the mix and quite a different product emerges. It is divisive, not only of those who attended a university in the state, but also of those who didn't finish high school and for whom college at any place was beyond their reach and possibility. OU/OSU/Other U college trappings speak volumes to social and economic issues for those who are on the outside of such groups, looking in.

There is NO place at Thunder games for anything that smacks of ANY state university. This team represents Oklahoma City --- and ALL of its citizens --- not just OU, not just OSU, not just those who live in fine homes but those who live in poverty, as well.

Our city's NBA team is a universal-rallying-point, as it should be, in some measure not at all unlike the city coming together after the Murrah Bombing. We sure as heck don't need anything which would detract from that being inserted into the mix and screwing around with our common bond.
    Very much my point Doug.. you said it beautifully. don't bring your University Baggage to Thunder Games.. we rose together and are TEAM ONE! nothing else matters when it comes to the THUNDER and OKC fans!

The genius, at least the potential genius, of having an NBA team here is that it pulls EVERYONE in the city together, including those who never graduated from high school much less went to any college in the state, and regardless of economic, racial or other classifications. All Oklahoma Citians, regardless of demographics, become tight-knit, at least on game day if not beyond, and there is only one unit, one source of identification, and that source is our city's team and our common bond it supporting that team to the hilt.
    And one of the colors of that team is ORANGE. And to not wear that color in support of that team because it is also the color of totally unrelated teams in totally unrelated leagues of play is, well, it's just weird. And while I still think it's silly thinking, the argument to not do an organized showing of blue when you are playing a team that also wears blue at least makes a little more sense than not doing orange because some college team wears it.

In the end, the team asked the fans to wear blue, so, everyone, just try and wear blue.

BTW, the signage on the metal faux awning on the (current) front of the arena looks very good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoy18 View Post
    My Family and Consumer Science teacher is a graduate of OU along her husband and two kids, she has said numerous time, that they will NEVER wear anything orange. I think 90% of OU fans feel this way.
    Sad but probably true. As I log on and surf through a few posts, it completely amazes me how long this discussion has and probably will go on.....(and I am addiing to it, I know) and how many people get riled up over it. It's so ridiculous I felt compelled to post just to release some anger over how stupid it all is. I have family members (wife's side, of course :-)) that feel this way and it blows my mind and I tell them how stupid they are. The funny thing about it is often the fans that WILL NEVER wear orange for any reason, any season, or anytime, did not even go to OU, like my crazed brother-in-law. (I know it sometimes goes the other way) I don't care which school you went to, but to say you will NEVER wear a certain color, even if it was not sports or "the other team" related, is totally asinine! If the Thunder chose to to one day do orange shirts in lieu of blue, big deal. If fans chose not to wear them becasue of OSU, they should lose their season tickets. (I'm not serious, but that's dumb I think it is).

I'm Oklahoma born and bred, and as a kid I use to cry when OU lost on TV because I was an Oklahoman first, but, I attended and graduated from OSU. Thank goodness my parents and family routed for both schools growing up and did not mame me for life either direction. I probably have and wear more red/crimson shirts than orange and never give it a thought. A few times I have had someone say, "I can't believe you're wearing a red shirt", and I instantly want to punch them in the nose for making such an idiotic comment, I don't care if it's family, friends, or strangers, makes no difference. Idiots.

Ok, I think I'm better now, thanks..........I probably will not look back at this particulr thread days from now to catch up on any replies or if the subject is still going.

Back to the thread topic, are there any insights of Devon doing anything with their lighting for the playoffs, say in the later rounds? I know there was some speculation on that once before, just wondered if I missed any more on that. Also, same for the Myriad Gardens and maybe the Skydance bridge. Will they garner Thunder colors with hopes of the national media catching that from the air? I just hope when and if we are on TNT, they don't continue to use their dated time lapse OKC skyline shots from Bricktown with no Devon tower in sight.

6. Default Re: DT Getting Ready for NBA Playoffs

So the people who are passionate about OU or OSU and refuse to wear the other's colors are laughable, childish, stupid, weird, silly and asinine. To those of you who are passing judgment, is there nothing in your life that you are not passionate about? I bet there is, and if so, there are plenty that feel the same way about your passion.

So enough of the judgment and supposed self-superiority. Let's get back on topic and talk about DT getting ready for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by LuccaBrasi View Post
    Sad but probably true. As I log on and surf through a few posts, it completely amazes me how long this discussion has and probably will go on.....(and I am addiing to it, I know) and how many people get riled up over it. It's so ridiculous I felt compelled to post just to release some anger over how stupid it all is. I have family members (wife's side, of course :-)) that feel this way and it blows my mind and I tell them how stupid they are. The funny thing about it is often the fans that WILL NEVER wear orange for any reason, any season, or anytime, did not even go to OU, like my crazed brother-in-law. (I know it sometimes goes the other way) I don't care which school you went to, but to say you will NEVER wear a certain color, even if it was not sports or "the other team" related, is totally asinine! If the Thunder chose to to one day do orange shirts in lieu of blue, big deal. If fans chose not to wear them becasue of OSU, they should lose their season tickets. (I'm not serious, but that's dumb I think it is).

I'm Oklahoma born and bred, and as a kid I use to cry when OU lost on TV because I was an Oklahoman first, but, I attended and graduated from OSU. Thank goodness my parents and family routed for both schools growing up and did not mame me for life either direction. I probably have and wear more red/crimson shirts than orange and never give it a thought. A few times I have had someone say, "I can't believe you're wearing a red shirt", and I instantly want to punch them in the nose for making such an idiotic comment, I don't care if it's family, friends, or strangers, makes no difference. Idiots.

Ok, I think I'm better now, thanks..........I probably will not look back at this particulr thread days from now to catch up on any replies or if the subject is still going.

Back to the thread topic, are there any insights of Devon doing anything with their lighting for the playoffs, say in the later rounds? I know there was some speculation on that once before, just wondered if I missed any more on that. Also, same for the Myriad Gardens and maybe the Skydance bridge. Will they garner Thunder colors with hopes of the national media catching that from the air? I just hope when and if we are on TNT, they don't continue to use their dated time lapse OKC skyline shots from Bricktown with no Devon tower in sight.
    Yes,,, but even so,,,, nothing at all good comes in any shade of orange.

Tonights shirts are blue that says "WE ARE ONE" with the Thunder logo in the middle. they look great but imagine 18,203 seats filled with orange shirts that have that slogan on it, it would erase all the hatred of range from the OU fans.

Tonights shirts are blue that says "WE ARE ONE" with the Thunder logo in the middle. they look great but imagine 18,203 seats filled with orange shirts that have that slogan on it, it would erase all the hatred of range from the OU fans.
    we needed to white out... the shirts were an exact match for the Mavs jerseys....

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    we needed to white out... the shirts were an exact match for the Mavs jerseys....
    I kind of thought the same thing......against the Mavs it should be white, against most other teams the blue would be fine. I don't see orange as a primary color for the Thunder, just an accent color.

As a Sooner I naturally have a disdain for things orange (as I jokingly told some people) and living in Austin for 9 years made that particular shade a no-no to wear, I just can't bring myself to buy anything in that color. The OSU orange has changed much over the years until recently they didn't seem to have one particular shade but different ones according to whatever the uniforms were made out of. Most schools seemed to have had an issue with this as at times the OU colors between football and basketball were different, much of that could have been due to differences in lighting between an outdoor stadium and a basketball arena. As a Broncos fan, there is naturally some orange that I have to put up with but I don't buy any of the orange dominant stuff, most of what I have is blue or gray and orange is an accent color. Not a big fan of their switch to orange as the primary jersey color this year but they didn't ask for my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

How come they didnt put this banner up yet?

How come they didnt put this banner up yet?
    That wasn't a real banner proposal it seems. Just someone playing around on photoshop.

I wish they would do one to cover up the hideous windowless AT&T building. And keep it up year-round (just slightly longer than SR keeps theirs up LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    That wasn't a real banner proposal it seems. Just someone playing around on photoshop.
    it was approved by downtown design ..

disdain for orange
    a large number of the population would refuse to wear it
    red
    My advertising banner hatin' pales by comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    it was approved by downtown design ..
    Just remember...last year Devon tower banner came up after the first round...so maybe this one will come up later as well

BTW this isnt downtown but it relates to this topic. Go look at the MidFirst HQ Building with their playoff image. Hopefully they will end up downtown soon though

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Tonight will be a white out at the game!

Thread Information