Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NW 37th and Penn

Northwest OKC NW 37th and Penn

Whast is the deal with the Apartment building that was recently built in the last couple of years but has been abandoned for a while? It is just east of nw 37th and Penn. has it ever been lived in?

Default Re: NW 37th and Penn

Outside of bums? No, no one has lived there, mostly because they aren't even finished. The owner has tried to sell it for a few years now but apparently wants more than anyone is willing to pay. He even had it up for auction last year and none of the bids met his reserve. I know someone that looked at it and figured what it's cost to finish and tried to bid on it but it wasn't enough for the owner. It's quite a joke that the owner can't finish it and will refuse to sell.

STUDIO VILLA

Okay - So this property is VERY interesting to me! I want to buy it, fix it up and rent these out. They are very close to the nightlife of NW39th and Penn and think that they would rent in a heartbeat with some VERY targeted marketing which happens to be my degree. I need a business partner - but I have ran the numbers and the "green" eco friendly upgrades/cosmetics that would be necessary and it could definitely work!

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...21905001rA.jpg

The new construction that was never finished next door to the Studio Villa is in such bad shape now that they have sat empty that it is not worth anything to have the building there.

Quote Originally Posted by MidCenturyModOKC View Post
    STUDIO VILLA

Okay - So this property is VERY interesting to me! I want to buy it, fix it up and rent these out. They are very close to the nightlife of NW39th and Penn and think that they would rent in a heartbeat with some VERY targeted marketing which happens to be my degree. I need a business partner - but I have ran the numbers and the "green" eco friendly upgrades/cosmetics that would be necessary and it could definitely work!

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...21905001rA.jpg
    Interesting proposition. That area is still really rough west of Penn, although east of Penn (Putnam Heights neighborhood) is improved. I don't know if this is a gamble that I would personally take, given the uncertainty of this area. I understand though that the gay community around there is very well-organized and even runs a pizzeria, some stores, and a smoothie shop that compliment the bar mix, and there might be some community leaders there that could be helpful and may even want to see higher-end housing added. I think no matter how you slice it, the Habana Inn thing is a heavy blight, but the other clubs may not be so dubious. I think that's a segment of diversity that is not only heavily underserved but also could appeal to higher-income apartment searchers.

By "higher-end" housing I mean basically above flop houses and roach motels, since I don't know how high-end you're thinking. Obviously the $800/mo upscale studio model has been wildly successful all around town, so that's what I would do. Somebody with more knowledge about the gay community might also know more about whether that could become a real estate niche as well.

6. Default Re: NW 37th and Penn

i agree, usually gay-hoods are quite eclectic and organized with pretty upscale offerings in other major cities. It will be nice to see OKC's step up their game and pick up that community.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I couldn't agree with you both more! 10 years from now the 39th Enclave will be a different place! Gay-borhoods in Dallas, among other places are really quite different. The low income housing right on 39th which was so bad has been vacated and I believe is scheduled to be torn down. If the city (which has NEVER really been receptive to helping that area) would allow the business owners to widen those sidewalks and take that stretch of 39th down to two lanes (which is how is should be considering it only widens for 300 feet.) then a streetscape with proper lighting could turn it all around.

The homophobia at city hall -- and on the police force -- was really, really bad in OKC at one time. Fortunately, that time is mostly in the past. The whole neighborhood has tremendous potential and is a good candidate for a TIF district and / or urban Main Street program, such as what Plaza District has done. This neighborhood should have the appeal of the Castro in SF or Cedar Springs in Dallas.

Unfortunately, much of what is there is "hidden," as a reaction to the hostile, anti-gay activism by cops and city officials in the past. Now that that is a relic of the past, the whole area should "come out."

That's an extremely interesting idea...using the Main Street program to improve the area.

I couldn't agree with you both more! 10 years from now the 39th Enclave will be a different place! Gay-borhoods in Dallas, among other places are really quite different. The low income housing right on 39th which was so bad has been vacated and I believe is scheduled to be torn down. If the city (which has NEVER really been receptive to helping that area) would allow the business owners to widen those sidewalks and take that stretch of 39th down to two lanes (which is how is should be considering it only widens for 300 feet.) then a streetscape with proper lighting could turn it all around.
    Are you talking about Adam's Crossings apartments? Those apartments do look dilapidated.

Any updates on this apt building? I am interested by the opportunity there! Anyone know what it would take to buy/finish these?

I think the gayborhood is about to pickup some steam, perfect time to invest. The art deco house on Penn next to 7/11 has been completely remodeled and is super modern. In addition they finally tore down those crackhead apts across from the bars, its an empty lot that would be perfect for some reasonably priced apartments aimed at the gay crowd or straight crowd that wants to be trendy.

Quote Originally Posted by circuitboard View Post
    I think the gayborhood is about to pickup some steam, perfect time to invest. The art deco house on Penn next to 7/11 has been completely remodeled and is super modern. In addition they finally tore down those crackhead apts across from the bars, its an empty lot that would be perfect for some reasonably priced apartments aimed at the gay crowd or straight crowd that wants to be trendy.
    Which apartments were torn down? Do you mean that little apartment and motel court built in the 40's?

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Which apartments were torn down? Do you mean that little apartment and motel court built in the 40's?
    Not sure if the were built in the 40's but that does sound about right. They looked like an old motel 6 or something, real ugly. Right behind the BMW service place.

I am happy to see any progress in that area. Whether you like them or not gay individuals have more disposable income and are willing to spend more on their living spaces than any other comparable aged group. Studies have been done in cities all around the country regarding gayborhoods and the good that can sprout up from investing in them.

I am happy to see any progress in that area. Whether you like them or not gay individuals have more disposable income and are willing to spend more on their living spaces than any other comparable aged group. Studies have been done in cities all around the country regarding gayborhoods and the good that can sprout up from investing in them.
    I like them, as I'm sure most on this forum do.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I like them, as I'm sure most on this forum do.
    Gay people rock!

I'd also mention thar only Ed seems to be willing to spend political capital on improving the gayborhood.

I do not know details; however, I did hear last night from one of the business owners that there is talk about widening sidewalks and some lighting going into that portion of NW 39th. I do not know how it is being funded- but change may be on its way!

39th St has a LONG way to go before it can be considered anything close to gentrified. Do a lot of gays actually live in that area or is that just where most of the gay-themed nightlife is?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    39th St has a LONG way to go before it can be considered anything close to gentrified. Do a lot of gays actually live in that area or is that just where most of the gay-themed nightlife is?
    As far as I've always gathered from being there everyone commutes in from other areas. It is pretty sketchy late at night. It'd be nice if there were even sidewalks along 39th, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    As far as I've always gathered from being there everyone commutes in from other areas. It is pretty sketchy late at night. It'd be nice if there were even sidewalks along 39th, lol.
    Oh no, not at all. It's becoming a very legitimate gayborhood. I don't know much about what's immediately south, but a popular area is the neighborhood between Penn and Classen and Northwest Expressway and 39th...the part that is to the south and east of I-44. I don't know what that neighborhood is called, but there are many gay and lesbian people buying up those homes. Think Blackwelder, Georgia and 43rd, 44th, 45th. That's the neighborhood I'm talking about. It's adjacent to Putnam Heights, which is south of 39th...and If you drive through that neighborhood it's easy to spot the homes that have been spruced up, and there's more and more all the time. It's hit and miss, but it's a neighborhood with a bright future. Maybe someone here knows what it's officially called?

There are a lot of different neighborhoods in there.

There are currently no acceptable housing options in the immediate NW39th Enclave area. Fast forward 10 years and we may see some town homes, apartments, lofts, etc in that area. With housing options comes opportunity for businesses to attract a daytime presence on that strip - Dallas, being our closest geographical market, is a good example of several clothing stores, gift shops, restaurants, etc. which keep the area alive during the daytime.

The area has a long way to go- but my inquiry was for the purpose of investing - almost all good things come out of those areas that are up and coming, not areas that have up and came. The Plaza District on NW16th is a great example of a local art scene with a mission that organized and is now enjoying alot of success! I would like to see some of that happen on NW39th.

Here is a link to the "Troubled Apartment Complexes" thread. There was an article in May of this year that broke down the worst apartment complexes in the metro and this was one of them:

http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic...complexes.html

See my post (second from the top) about what happened with the start and stalling of the complex.

Thread Information