Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New West Norman Apartment Complex?

Default New West Norman Apartment Complex?

Stumbled upon this recently...

250,000 square feet slated for the NE corner of 36th Ave NW and Rock Creek Road. The property is listed as "office/general purpose" but that rendering definitely looks like an apartment complex to me.

Anyone heard any rumors?

Default Re: New West Norman Apartment Complex?

I workout at Fitness One right across the street and I could have sworn there is a sign that says something about senior living, I'll confirm this tomorrow when there's light.

3. Default Re: New West Norman Apartment Complex?

I believe a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Grocery has been announced for that corner.

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    I workout at Fitness One right across the street and I could have sworn there is a sign that says something about senior living, I'll confirm this tomorrow when there's light.
    The senior living complex is just south of 36th near the NW corner.

This is different than the senior living complex. There is an apartment complex they are trying to put in just west of the bank and daycare. You can find it on the Norman Planning Commission's November 8th agenda. It's called The Falls at Brookhaven.

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    This is different than the senior living complex. There is an apartment complex they are trying to put in just west of the bank and daycare. You can find it on the Norman Planning Commission's November 8th agenda. It's called The Falls at Brookhaven.
    They are doing dirt work in this area so it must have been approved.

I really do not understand Norman planning.

8. Default Re: New West Norman Apartment Complex?

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    I really do not understand Norman planning.
    No one does.

I think it's because they don't actually "plan" per se.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    They are doing dirt work in this area so it must have been approved.
    From what I can see the dirtwork is for the senior living center and the apartments will be on the east side of the current dirt work.

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    From what I can see the dirtwork is for the senior living center and the apartments will be on the east side of the current dirt work.
    They are doing dirt work for the assisted living center S. of the bank, but they are also doing lots of dirt work W. of the bank/ office building.

Looks like senior living and apartments to the west of 36th. I think I am also hearing of apartments north of Rock Creek on the east side of 36th... Can anyone confirm that? There is an existing complex just north of that.

It looks like east of 36th, south of Rock Creek (next to the new fitness place) is zoned commercial. I wonder if that is where Wal-Mart is going?

There is also talk and proposals floating around out there for more and more home-style small office complexes throughout that area.

Much further north, on Tecumseh, it looks like construction of medical offices (possibly sports rehab) has already been approved.

Looks like senior living and apartments to the west of 36th. I think I am also hearing of apartments north of Rock Creek on the east side of 36th... Can anyone confirm that? There is an existing complex just north of that.

It looks like east of 36th, south of Rock Creek (next to the new fitness place) is zoned commercial. I wonder if that is where Wal-Mart is going?

There is also talk and proposals floating around out there for more and more home-style small office complexes throughout that area.

Much further north, on Tecumseh, it looks like construction of medical offices (possibly sports rehab) has already been approved.
    The city said they would be medical offices.

Any idea how many apartments there will be and what there demographic target will be?

Walmart is going on the NE corner of 36th Ave. NW and Rock Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Walmart is going on the NE corner of 36th Ave. NW and Rock Creek.
    Walmart Neighborhood Market is what i heard, not a full Walmart

16. Default Re: New West Norman Apartment Complex?

Just drove by there.... on the west side of 36th south of Rock Creek Road Brookhaven Mansions assisted senior living is being constructed. West of 36th on Rock Creek Road dirt work is underway for something. NO sign yet but it looks like they're laying out some streets.
    Also on the north side of Rock Creek right before the overpass there is dirt work going on.

Has anyone heard of an estimated completion date for these apartments?

Assisted living centers are become a necessary part of our life its need of modern world. To help old people its a beautiful idea,
    Norman is going to right way, we should support the project. Old people are needy to such projects..,

Quote Originally Posted by john48 View Post
    Assisted living centers are become a necessary part of our life its need of modern world. To help old people its a beautiful idea,
    Norman is going to right way, we should support the project. Old people are needy to such projects..,
    What old people need are walkable high density neighborhoods where they can still function as a member of society without depending on a shuttle van.

Stumbled upon this recently...

250,000 square feet slated for the NE corner of 36th Ave NW and Rock Creek Road. The property is listed as "office/general purpose" but that rendering definitely looks like an apartment complex to me.

Anyone heard any rumors?
    The Norman City Planning Commission held a meeting this past Thursday night regarding the proposed apartment construction. The vote was split 3 votes for the approval of the apartments, and 3 votes against the approval. There will be more meetings.

The current renderings have been changed very significantly since the original proposal and if built will likely change further.
    The builders current proposal still doesn’t include specifies on several issues.

Here you go Sid. You won't like the positions from the Yea's or the Nay's. They both are only interested in protecting segregated zoning and ensuring that everything is located next to nothing.

Planning commission split 3-3 » The Norman Transcript

I do find it totally ironic that many of the area residents are upset that there isn't enough commercial zoning in the area. Move to the suburban fringe and then complain everything is too far away. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    What were the concerns of those opposed?
    Among other things the possibility of poor quality materials and the lack of specific information about materials. Some are concerned about what it’s going to look like in 10 years and would like all brick buildings. Some don’t like the architecture style and would like to see the collegiate look of the bank across the street.

The lack of an appropriate fence... The neighborhood has a brick fence that’s about 6 or 7 feet high, some feel the new apartments should too, at least where it boarders the neighborhood.

Some say that if it has to be built why can’t they build 2 story instead of 3. Some feel that there is not enough demand for Apartments in this part of Norman. There are concerns about the already over crowed grade school.
    Many have indicated that they would drop opposition if these where quality condos being built.

Here’s what the Transcript wrote.
    Planning commission split 3-3 » Local news » The Norman Transcript

One ponders what would happen if instead of the current 36/Tecumseh proposal the developer were to decide to put in a tiny gasoline & c-store and either budget condos or vinyl sided starter homes. But, hey, at least it wouldn't be a bunch of renters.

At nearly midnight last night the Norman city council approved the new apartments at NW 36 &Tecumseh in a 5 to 3 vote with one recusal.
    While the local area did not succeed in blocking this development they did succeed in having many of their concerns addressed and as a result the plan was significantly changed from the original plan.

25. Default Re: New West Norman Apartment Complex?

Was reading in the Transcript that they didn't have the outcome at press time. Good to see it passed. It also appears the developer was more than supportive in address the issues by the residents. At times it appeared that they (the residents) were more stubborn for the sake of being stubborn than anything. I do hope that the area does see some more commercial development, that they have been requesting, to help balance the area out more. However, this portion of town is more suburban than anything and likely filled with commuters going to OKC...so some higher density infill should help.

Thread Information