Widgets Magazine

Thread: Needing a passport quick?

Default Needing a passport quick?

http://newsok.com/need-a-passport-qu...rticle/3654389

This statement is a little misleading:

Since cruise ships have created more opportunities for families to vacation on the high seas, travelers now have the option of getting a passport book or a passport card, or both. The card is the size of a driver's license and costs about $80 less than a regular passport, but it's only allowed for entry by sea or land. And some seaports still may require a passport book, so travelers should know ahead of time which is accepted at their port of entry.
    A passport is not required for a cruise if you're leaving from a US port and return to the same port. It is still the preferred document, however.

2. Default Re: Needing a passport quick?

I would imagine this is as long as the ship doesn't call into any international ports where people can get off the ship. I'm pretty sure there isn't customs preclearance when reboarding the ship in a foreign port.

Default Re: Needing a passport quick?

In the last few years I've cruised to over 10 countries. In St. Petersburg, Russia, the VISA was more important than the passport. In Helsinki Finland, the passport was required also, but no VISA. In the Carribean and the Netherland Antillies, no passport was required, and that boat was out of Puerto Rico. In the Medditeranian, didn't even need it when we flew into Rome, more or less any other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I would imagine this is as long as the ship doesn't call into any international ports where people can get off the ship. I'm pretty sure there isn't customs preclearance when reboarding the ship in a foreign port.
    Venture, the ship can visit a foreign port as long as it originates and ends in the same US port. Going through customs is done at the end of the cruise and has nothing to do with proof of citizenship. That is handled separately by immigration. The main reason why a passport would be advisable is because if someone had an emergency arise while on a cruise and needed to fly home from a foreign port that can't be done without a passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    In the last few years I've cruised to over 10 countries. In St. Petersburg, Russia, the VISA was more important than the passport. In Helsinki Finland, the passport was required also, but no VISA. In the Carribean and the Netherland Antillies, no passport was required, and that boat was out of Puerto Rico. In the Medditeranian, didn't even need it when we flew into Rome, more or less any other countries.
    As long as you are traveling within the European Union countries they no longer require going through any immigration control and no passport is required. You certainly need one when you arrive there from the US, however.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Just to clarify for those who didn't catch your first post, you are talking about cruise trips. If you want to fly into any EU nation, you must have a valid passport.
    Exactly right, if you want to fly into or return from any foreign county from the US a passport is required.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    As long as you are traveling within the European Union countries they no longer require going through any immigration control and no passport is required. You certainly need one when you arrive there from the US, however.
    That's what I thought too, until they just waved us on by at the Rome airport. I wanted to get the Italian stamp in my passport....we're going back this may...maybe it'll happen then. I changed planes in Madrid and got the Spanish stamp. Been through Heathrow London a few times and never got one there.

That's what I thought too, until they just waved us on by at the Rome airport. I wanted to get the Italian stamp in my passport....we're going back this may...maybe it'll happen then. I changed planes in Madrid and got the Spanish stamp. Been through Heathrow London a few times and never got one there.
    Bellaboo, you might be waved through but I promise you still need a passport when you arrive in Europe from the US. It's sort of like when you go through customs. You may get waved on through but you could get stopped and have all of your luggage examined closely. If you arrived there without a passport there's an excellent chance you would be denied entry. Also, when you depart on a flight from the US to Europe or any foreign country, the airline will require you to show your passport. You will be denied boarding without it. That's also why you can't do an online check-in and print out your boarding pass ahead of time for international flights. The airline wants you to show your passport to them to verify before you go through security

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Bellaboo, you might be waved through but I promise you still need a passport when you arrive in Europe from the US. It's sort of like when you go through customs. You may get waved on through but you could get stopped and have all of your luggage examined closely. If you arrived there without a passport there's an excellent chance you would be denied entry. Also, when you depart on a flight from the US to Europe or any foreign country, the airline will require you to show your passport. You will be denied boarding without it.
    I always carry one, but even flying out of Rome they did not check us......but at the plane change in Madrid they did....I wanted the Italian stamp....and didn't get it. Maybe they didn't check us in Rome because we weren't going as a direct flight to the US..??

I always carry one, but even flying out of Rome they did not check us......but at the plane change in Madrid they did....I wanted the Italian stamp....and didn't get it. Maybe they didn't check us in Rome because we weren't going as a direct flight to the US..??
    I'm sure that's correct. They have passengers on that flight that are only going to Madrid and don't need a passport so they don't ask for it. The airlines require it when it's necessary because if they fly you to a destination and you are denied entry because you don't have a valid passport they are responsible for you.

11. Default Re: Needing a passport quick?

I noticed that the news article mentioned other Oklahoma cities but did not say that the Oklahoma County Clerks office was going to be open on Saturday for this. That is where you have to go to get a passport and waive the 60.00 fee?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I noticed that the news article mentioned other Oklahoma cities but did not say that the Oklahoma County Clerks office was going to be open on Saturday for this. That is where you have to go to get a passport and waive the 60.00 fee?
    You can go to the City Center Post Office downtown on 5th Street, the Stockyards Post Office, and the Reno-Meridian Post Office along several suburban locations.

Thread Information