Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112

Thread: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

The Envision 240 group announced earlier this year that a contract had been signed for another group (county I think ) to take on the mowing and the underpasses were to be painted. The pace at which this revitalization plan is progressing is frustrating.

2. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

forget mowing....re-pave the freaking frontage roads already!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    forget mowing....re-pave the freaking frontage roads already!!!!!!!!!!!
    I seem to recall they did that about 2 years ago.

I do admit, the potholes returned very quickly.

How often should it be repaved and how do you suggest we pay for it?

They need to be reconstructed in cement and done right then you wouldn't need to replace them for 30 years or more

5. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I seem to recall they did that about 2 years ago.

I do admit, the potholes returned very quickly.

How often should it be repaved and how do you suggest we pay for it?
    It was only the service road(s) (maybe only the north side) between Penn and May and they're still smooth, until you come up on the May intersections where old asphalt still remains. Although they have concreted a small portion of the right turn lane on the Westbound service road at May, right in front of Jack In The Box.

6. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Yeah, they only did the section west of Penn up to May...the totally ignored the whole rest of the section between Penn and 35. You know, the part that has the MOST traffic.

Does anyone know if the Envision 240 effort is still active?

8. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Doesn't seem like it. They stopped and didn't do any of the pavement projects on the frontage roads that could actually use it. Really the intersections need to be converted to concrete. There are a lot of opportunities for landscaping in the grassy areas of 240 to help brighten the strip up....even some crepe myrtles can add color to a gloomy stretch and take zero effort to maintain. I feel like the city basically gave up before they really ever started. All i can say is that hopefully this pavement project with the maps extension will help look at the roads. And 240/35/Shields access is going to be all jacked up after the junction is done, hopefully they can look at something to do to help with that.

At one time they did have some plantings but the city or ODOT (not sure which) wanted the South OKC Chamber to pay for the maintenance. I really wish OKC would let South OKC go to either become its own city or part of Moore since they have no interest in investing in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    I really wish OKC would let South OKC go to either become its own city or part of Moore since they have no interest in investing in this area.
    Exactly. Whether it be urban sprawl or whatever, having a more focused say in the growth of the area where I spend literally 99% of my time would be nice for the thousands of us who live there.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    At one time they did have some plantings but the city or ODOT (not sure which) wanted the South OKC Chamber to pay for the maintenance. I really wish OKC would let South OKC go to either become its own city or part of Moore since they have no interest in investing in this area.
    Definitely not a terrible idea. At the very least it would probably get mowed which would be an improvement.

Not sure if I'd fit into this area, but I'm really close. The chamber should start a petition for the southside to secede, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    Exactly. Whether it be urban sprawl or whatever, having a more focused say in the growth of the area where I spend literally 99% of my time would be nice for the thousands of us who live there.
    And give up all the sales tax revenue generated in the area? Not a chance. And let me tell you this...it is going to get worse before it gets better. There's a "hate the suburbs" vibe in city gov't right now. They're glad to parasite off our sales tax revenue but beyond that we're viewed as a pariah. As an example...city wasn't nuts about the new WalMart at I-44 and SW 104th, but they were advised how much sales tax revenue was being lost by shoppers hopping on I-44 and tripping down to TriCity and the WalMart down there. So in it went. Yet the city won't do anything but this minimalist traffic control setup for what's sure to be a traffic nightmare at that location once it opens....argh...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    And give up all the sales tax revenue generated in the area? Not a chance. And let me tell you this...it is going to get worse before it gets better. There's a "hate the suburbs" vibe in city gov't right now. They're glad to parasite off our sales tax revenue but beyond that we're viewed as a pariah. As an example...city wasn't nuts about the new WalMart at I-44 and SW 104th, but they were advised how much sales tax revenue was being lost by shoppers hopping on I-44 and tripping down to TriCity and the WalMart down there. So in it went. Yet the city won't do anything but this minimalist traffic control setup for what's sure to be a traffic nightmare at that location once it opens....argh...
    Well put.

And that Wal-Mart is across the highway from (what looks to me like) a replica of the renovated Norman area around the super Target...but still sits empty. I actually come to this board about 99% of the time hoping to see Pete announce a new development out there. My hope is that the Wal-Mart at least sparks an interest in the area...would love to see a BWW, Chipolte,Starbucks.etc in the not-too-distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    Well put.

And that Wal-Mart is across the highway from (what looks to me like) a replica of the renovated Norman area around the super Target...but still sits empty. I actually come to this board about 99% of the time hoping to see Pete announce a new development out there. My hope is that the Wal-Mart at least sparks an interest in the area...would love to see a BWW, Chipolte,Starbucks.etc in the not-too-distant future.
    I really wonder if after they finish the last phase of the Portland realignment is when this area starts to get some tenants. Fingers crossed.

15. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I really wonder if after they finish the last phase of the Portland realignment is when this area starts to get some tenants. Fingers crossed.
    I drive down Portland from 89th to 104th about once a week or so and I see they are still working on infrastructure there, I don't think the area is quite ready for tenants yet. The realignment will probably coincide with the readiness of the 89th to 104th section.

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    I drive down Portland from 89th to 104th about once a week or so and I see they are still working on infrastructure there, I don't think the area is quite ready for tenants yet. The realignment will probably coincide with the readiness of the 89th to 104th section.
    Didn't know it was ongoing...thanks for the response. With SOKC's luck, the first tenant will be a wal-mart to pair with the one across the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    What infrastructure? I've driven that stretch several times and it looks to me like the most activity there its seen are drag races as evidenced by the wide, black tire skids at various locations. Light poles have been up and running since the street opened, storm drainage is in place...the grass is getting overgrown on the sides and I don't really see much activity of any kind, and the traffic lights at 104th and Portland have been up and operating for quite some time now.....

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    What infrastructure? I've driven that stretch several times and it looks to me like the most activity there its seen are drag races as evidenced by the wide, black tire skids at various locations. Light poles have been up and running since the street opened, storm drainage is in place...the grass is getting overgrown on the sides and I don't really see much activity of any kind, and the traffic lights at 104th and Portland have been up and operating for quite some time now.....
    Ditto.

A small group townhouses are being built in this area on SW 74th and Sherwood. Bella Terra Lofts.

This project should get maps 4 money.

Thread Information