Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: I240 Revitalization Efforts

1. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Does anyone know what is being built on the northside of 240, between Walker and Santa Fe? Probably another car dealership...

Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Does anyone know what is being built on the northside of 240, between Walker and Santa Fe? Probably another car dealership...
    IIRC: David Stanley Kia

Correct ^ (not sure on who, but it is a dealership)

It will be a David Stanley Dealership for sure the Kia brand name is the only thing that is in the rumor mill at the moment. The county assessor lists the property owner as David Stanley Imports.

5. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

It's got the David Stanley Kia sign out front...or at least it used to.

Anyone know what they're building on 240 and Penn (northeast corner)? It's the building next to Schlotzsky's and Denneys that has been a hundred different things but was finally torn down. They're moving dirt around but I haven't seen a sign for anything.

Wow I-240 really is seeing revitalization!

Cane's Chicken

Now that's a boom

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Now that's a boom
    Maybe so because this will be the biggest Canes Chicken I've seen anywhere, unless 70% of the lot will be parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Maybe so because this will be the biggest Canes Chicken I've seen anywhere, unless 70% of the lot will be parking.
    Would that surprise you?

12. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

I wish they would get back on repaving the frontage road. They did the west end (that didn't really need it...and I don't think they striped it yet).

With a BID the property owners have to agree, right? I will be surprised if that happens with all the apartments.

State statutes requires that petition support from ownership be greater than 50% of the area liable to be assessed. If there are 100 acres of land eligible to be assessed, then the process requires petitions with a “yes” from owners who collectively own greater than 50 acres. Although the City may technically approve a BID with barely over 50% support, a higher percentage of support will set a stronger foundation with less resistance.

Thanks for the clarification. The Envision 240 study was undertaken in 2012. I wonder why it has taken so long to move to the next step.

What the hell are they going to use a BID for? This is putting the cart way before the horse. They don't have a district, and that's not to say they shouldn't embark on some BI, but for a BID you need a District.. just having a geography selected doesn't give you a district.

This is typical laughable city planning on the part of OKC. This is becoming systemically helpless.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    What the hell are they going to use a BID for? This is putting the cart way before the horse. They don't have a district, and that's not to say they shouldn't embark on some BI, but for a BID you need a District.. just having a geography selected doesn't give you a district.

This is typical laughable city planning on the part of OKC. This is becoming systemically helpless.
    In your opinion, what makes a district having excluded geography? What districts if any do you see in the south OKC besides Capitol Hill?

Other than Capitol Hill, there are none. It will take time for the Wheeler District and Core 2 Shore to come together, the Farmer's Market has a shot (the OKC Freeway Boulevard certainly doesn't help), and Hubcap Alley is still premature. Those are the only places any concerted public effort begin to make since on the south side. I240 is what it is. But it ain't a district.

Whatever they call it or how they fund it, if they repeat the same design mistake of targeting I-240 as if it was Main St they are going to end up with the exact same result. OKC needs to get away from frontage road retail - and fast. We need Place Making, not Drive-by Place Making.

So an area is only a district when it is referred to by a place name ? I don't see why an identity or brand can't be created for this area just like Core to Shore or Wheeler. With Crossroads in its current state, it is the main shopping area for southwest okc.

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    Other than Capitol Hill, there are none.
    Stockyards?

I-240 is a sea of sprawl catering to the automobile. Applying new urbanism terms to sprawl doesn't solve the problem, solving the problem solves the problem. My question is, do they really even know what the primary problem is? If all they want to do is rebuild what already decayed then expect to keep rebuilding it every 20 to 30 years. Just make sure they collect enough taxes to pay for it.

For those of us (like me) who are unfamiliar with how New Urbanism would apply to neighborhoods outside of the downtown core, could you give a brief description of how the problems with the I-240 corridor could be solved? Thanks!

25. Default Re: I240 Revitalization Efforts

^^^^^^^
    Here is an excellent resource to help answer this question (5-10 minute read): Sprawl Repair: From Sprawl to Complete Communities, by Galina Tachieva : Articles : Terrain.org

Thread Information