Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelyard

Default Re: East Bricktown Apartments & Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Yeah, but until the plans are filed one can hope. A residential tower would be far cooler than another cookie cutter apartment building.
    I agree, that would be great. And it would be a great location for residents, spur more development in East Bricktown, provide a great entryway to Bricktown, and help connect OUHSC somewhat.

A residential tower would be far cooler than another cookie cutter apartment building.
    While I agree with you that developers need to now start looking at for sale housing again to balance the scales and add more quality/lasting value to the area, I think it is a stretch to call an urban apartment building in OKC a "cookie cutter" building. It's still outside the norm and a refreshing thing to see when compared to the other 99% of the city.

I'm just saying think about how much our standards and expectations have risen just in the last few years in regards to urban residential projects. I'm sure this project will have all the fundamentals as far as minimal setback and street interaction, and density is a given. If it were proposed even just 2 or 3 years ago (granted I know we were in the heart of a recession), the sound of this would have had us all salivating (as would have LEVEL and Maywood Apartments for that matter).

They all basically look the same and perform the same way. A little bit of brick, a lot of EIFS, cheap windows, a gable here, a flat roof there. And all will be abandoned for the next best thing when the lease is up. I'm ready for something different. I'm happy people are finally interested in living downtown but we're filling a lot up with buildings that will age quickly and not well. People complained about for sale housing. I'm complaining about for rent.

Blog Entries

They all basically look the same and perform the same way. A little bit of brick, a lot of EIFS, cheap windows, a gable here, a flat roof there. And all will be abandoned for the next best thing when the lease is up. I'm ready for something different. I'm happy people are finally interested in living downtown but we're filling a lot up with buildings that will age quickly and not well. People complained about for sale housing. I'm complaining about for rent.
    Amen

I know I'm not speaking exclusively about Deep Deuce/Bricktown with these, but can you not easily see places like the Montgomery, Park Harvey, the original Deep Deuce Apartments, or even something like the Edge eventually being converted to condo/for sale if/when the demand warrants?

It sounds like you're more concerned with lasting architecture rather than even ownership stability however, so maybe my question is irrelevant. There would be less trash that you have to pick up though, right? :-)
    Last edited by mcca7596; 08-02-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added thought.

The going trend right now is 4-5 story apartment buildings here in Oklahoma City, look @ Level, Edge, Maywood, and now East Bricktown. But I kinda of like that Oklahoma City has this trend in Deep Deuce, and Bricktown. Let's save our first high rise residential tower for downtown, which might not be too far off...I think either a residential tower or office tower will occupy the Stage Center site...

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    What do you mean? Hasn't the developer already announced it will be a 4 story apartment complex and an 8 story hotel?
    This. To me, 8 stories is perfect for tall development in Bricktown. It does add vertical density, but it doesn't overpower the street level and blow up the human scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This. To me, 8 stories is perfect for tall development in Bricktown. It does add vertical density, but it doesn't overpower the street level and blow up the human scale.
    Spartan, any rumors or guesses going around in your circles as to potential brands that the hotel could be, or way too early?

Since this development borders the rail right of way that is the NE commuter corridor, it would be nice to incorporate a "Bricktown East" station for future transit. Unfortunately it will not be used for that purpose for a few years. I wonder if space could be reserved for that purpose in the planning?

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    Spartan, any rumors or guesses going around in your circles as to potential brands that the hotel could be, or way too early?
    I don't think it's too early - if Gary Clark wants to maintain his previously stated timeline, he needs to at least have a few in mind by now. That said, I haven't heard anything. What I have heard, not to leave you empty-handed, is that this intersection (Sheridan/Joe Carter) could quickly become the new "IT" intersection in downtown, with another development that could be announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    That said, I haven't heard anything. What I have heard, not to leave you empty-handed, is that this intersection (Sheridan/Joe Carter) could quickly become the new "IT" intersection in downtown, with another development that could be announced.
    I would sure hope that it's the southeast corner and wouldn't involve demolition of the current buildings on the northwest.

Well, have you guys noticed where all Meinders is undergoing demolition?

This project might end up being bigger than we thought, with 2nd and 3rd phases:

http://www.naisullivangroup.com/OKNe...uldblossom.pdf

I thought the hotel was already included, or do they mean a second hotel?

The original proposal for the apartments included hotel, on the land that had nothing to do with the OCURA land, so I would suspect they are talking about another hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    The original proposal for the apartments included hotel, on the land that had nothing to do with the OCURA land, so I would suspect they are talking about another hotel.
    or it was just a little unclear ...

Well, according to this article back in March, the hotel is to be located on the corner of Joe Carter/Sheridan, not on OCURA land:

http://www.naisullivangroup.com/OKNe...tBricktown.pdf

HangryHippo Guest

What might have been unclear? The original proposal very clearly had a hotel component along with the apartments.

Well, Sheridan is certainly turning into hotel row, and it kind of already is (Colcord, Renaissance and Sheraton adjacent, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn/Homewood Suites, and this development).

I'm still confused a bit myself on exactly which parcels will be developed as a part of the proposed first phase.

From the looks of this recent graphic, it appears the OCURA land north of Sheridan will be in Phase I and that the other parcel would be for future development.

In addition, Meinder also owns those steel buildings on the south side of Sheridan west of the OCURA land and I suppose that would be a future phase as well.

I think that "phase 1" will be the apts and the hotel on the stewart metal site north of sheridan .... phase 2 would be more apt on the ocura land north of sheridan

phase 3 would be the south side of sheridan

Are there any concerns with the number of rental apartments in this east area of Okc?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Are there any concerns with the number of rental apartments in this east area of Okc?
    don't know why there would be

I think it may be time to pull back the reins on apartments in that area.

This is so typical of real estate development... Whatever is somewhat hot and thus able to get financing gets completely overbuilt and by the time many of the projects are finished, there is a glut.

Don't think we are quite there yet but somebody needs to start considering where to draw the line.

HangryHippo Guest

We talk all the time about needing housing to add life to our downtown area and we're now worried about adding too many apartments?

Thread Information