Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelyard

Default Re: East Bricktown Apartments & Hotel

Only a portion have to be at $700/mo though which is my guess that they're considering "affordable" which I'd agree with actually.

I am excited to see this project go forward. Just to follow this, we first had an announcement this winter, then the City had an official council action to pursue using the Neighborhood Stabilization program (is that tied to the Empowerment Zone funds?), now we have demolition permits.. I'd say we're on track for renderings in a few months, maybe this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    He owns everything shaded in yellow in that aerial.

The grant was for federal funds as part of the Neighborhood Stabilization program. The money is to be used towards making at least some of the apartments more affordable. In order to get the money, they have to build the apartments, not just buy the land.
    Just a note but the money is in the cities control. So they are not applying to the feds

Would it be likely they build mid-rise apartments? Something like the "W" in Dallas... or is it for sure going to be a 2-3 story complex?

So far we understand it will be multi-structure, with the tallest structure peaking at 8 stories. I think in terms of massing, I'd compare it to the dead Overholser Green proposal. Hardly Victory, but still significant height, especially for Bricktown.

Here's the original report:

The application filed by Bricktown Apartments LLC., a partnership between developer Gary Brooks and Andy Burnett, proposes a four-story complex along the north side of Sheridan Avenue between Joe Carter Avenue and Lincoln Boulevard on the former site of Stewart Metal.

If the deal is successful, it also will include a 160-room, eight-story hotel at the corner of Joe Carter and Sheridan Avenues and structured parking.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-will...#ixzz1xIUYOaRi

6. Default Re: East Bricktown Apartments & Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    I hope the 420 Sheridan building does not get demolished.
    I wouldn't worry about that. My understanding is that there are no plans for demolishing 420 at this time.

This is great! Happy to see these eyesore buildings come down.

My question is who owns the railroad, and will it be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    This is great! Happy to see these eyesore buildings come down.

My question is who owns the railroad, and will it be removed?
    Union Pacific owns the tracks and it is doubtful that they will be removed. That corridor is our future connection toe NE side, Del City, Midwest City, and Tinker Air Force Base for commuter rail to Santa-Fe Station.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Union Pacific owns the tracks and it is doubtful that they will be removed. That corridor is our future connection toe NE side, Del City, Midwest City, and Tinker Air Force Base for commuter rail to Santa-Fe Station.
    Also, the way those tracks come online with the BNSF mainline, it seems to me that future commuter sets running on this line will have a front AND back engine/operator because of the way the tracks are aligned (there's nowhere to turn the danged thing around).

We're planning a southbound ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    We're planning a southbound ramp.
    Hope you post graphics on here when those become available. 8 years?

Application before the Bricktown Design Review for their next meeting of 7/11 details exactly which buildings they are planning to demolish and has received the approval of their staff.

Buildings to be demo'd are show in yellow, blue are others owned by the present owner (Robert Meinders) and green are OCURA properties:

Pete,

Are there any renderings out there? If not, will they need to present renderings to the board before they get approved to demolish those buildings? If there are some on this thread, i apologize as I have not located them.

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
    Pete,

Are there any renderings out there? If not, will they need to present renderings to the board before they get approved to demolish those buildings? If there are some on this thread, i apologize as I have not located them.
    Renderings are not required for demolition. In fact, legal counsel for the City always insists that the review boards cannot consider future development when reviewing demolition, because the City cannot hold the applicant to their word that the new project will be constructed.

Not saying I agree with that... but that's the way it's done currently.

Meinders is taking it upon himself to demolish buildings. He is paying for the demolition, not Brooks. I am sure Meinders and Brooks have some sort of agreement, that involves Meinders demolishing the buildings, knowing Brooks will be purchasing the land from him. With that being said, the BDRC does not need to see renderings to approve demolition. We probably won't see renderings until it comes time for Brooks to acquire the OCURA portion of the land, because they will want to see renderings before they make a transaction, just like with the Edge @ Midtown.

I wouldn't be surprised if the apartment portion of the development is just the Edge @ Midtown lite, lol...

that makes since, thanks walker.

Drove by the site today on my lunch break, it looks a lot bigger in person, it has a lot of potential, let's hope Brooks does it right. Moreover, the buildings directly south across the street will be demolished also, but it will not be part of this residential development. But those lots are pretty big also, and could hold another mixed-use development.

*I also saw some people with shovels at the proposed Brooks site, looks like they were regular people, not construction workers, but it seems they were shoveling up glass?

HangryHippo Guest

Is this development actually going to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Is this development actually going to happen?
    Well nothing is a sure thing thing until the lights come on and people move in....

With that said, the project is not dead...

Depends on if they get the necessary public financing to move the extensive storm water drainage network underneath the complex.

HangryHippo Guest

How likely is that to happen? Weren't they waiting on a federal grant or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Well nothing is a sure thing thing until the lights come on and people move in....

With that said, the project is not dead...
    Who ever said it was dead? They haven't even come up with renderings. Relax people. What we have here is a development that you all found out about way too early - this is why Lackmeyer, other respectable sources, et al., don't mouth out more often about potential upcoming development projects. These things are very complicated and take time, and this particular project has a lot of federal processes attached to it, with Brooks has quality experience with. In fact Brooks is the only one downtown with this much HUD experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Who ever said it was dead? They haven't even come up with renderings. Relax people. What we have here is a development that you all found out about way too early - this is why Lackmeyer, other respectable sources, et al., don't mouth out more often about potential upcoming development projects. These things are very complicated and take time, and this particular project has a lot of federal processes attached to it, with Brooks has quality experience with. In fact Brooks is the only one downtown with this much HUD experience.
    Spartan, re-read what I said. I said it was not dead. That's not to say that I mean it's not alive either. It's too soon to call it "alive" for the purposes of this forum (I.E. dirt about to turn, excitement building). My comment was a direct reply to the statement of is this actually going to happen. "It's not dead..." (implying it's moving forward but too soon to call it a sure deal)

HangryHippo Guest

Spartan, that's a touch arrogant to say that it's something we found out about way too soon. This board is very good at learning of projects in their infancy and we can talk about how legitimate the prospects are. Perhaps, rather than ragging on people for having a conversation about exciting possibilities, you could share what some of the federal processes are and why it might take so long. I understand that posters can be impatient, but to interpret that as anything but excitement for what might be in the pipeline isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Spartan, re-read what I said. I said it was not dead. That's not to say that I mean it's not alive either. It's too soon to call it "alive" for the purposes of this forum (I.E. dirt about to turn, excitement building). My comment was a direct reply to the statement of is this actually going to happen. "It's not dead..." (implying it's moving forward but too soon to call it a sure deal)
    Sorry, my post wasn't directed at you. Just this general notion that we're not allowed to have any confidence in new development in Bricktown. People need to relax, Pitman's new hotel will break ground, this is moving forward too, more stuff is coming soon in the general area... all is well that ends well lol

Thread Information