Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1260

Thread: Steelyard

Default Re: Steelyard

Any updates on this one?

Nothing happening yet on Phase II; same with the continuation of The Hill:

Heard through the grapevine that this project is canceled, not good.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Heard through the grapevine that this project is canceled, not good.
    I'm also worried about The Hill to the north as there has been no movement since Andy Burnett was chosen to replace Canfield as the developer two years ago.

Update:

Confused by the phrase "current economic challenges". Steelyard easily has a little under 2 dozen apartments available for lease - it's about time they considered lowering their rates and competing with neighboring apartment blocks. It's hard enough of a sell as is when you're flanked by bricktown

Why is being flanked by Bricktown are hard sell?

Quote Originally Posted by macchiato View Post
    Confused by the phrase "current economic challenges". Steelyard easily has a little under 2 dozen apartments available for lease - it's about time they considered lowering their rates and competing with neighboring apartment blocks. It's hard enough of a sell as is when you're flanked by bricktown
    "current economic challenges" is all about interest rates ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    "current economic challenges" is all about interest rates ..
    Yep. Unfortunately, I won't be surprised if that begins to effect other projects around the city, both big and small.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Why is being flanked by Bricktown are hard sell?
    Bricktown is easily one of the worst entertainment districts in OKC. It is excessively touristy, for the most part the majority of bars and restaurants are subpar. It is just not nearly as attractive as properties close to the Plaza, Midtown, and Paseo all of which are nearby. The rent is also pretty crazy for this market for what you are getting. It just is not worth it if you are in a position where you are renting.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Bricktown is easily one of the worst entertainment districts in OKC.
    this is laughable

12. Default Re: Steelyard

Bricktown is easily one of the worst entertainment districts in OKC. It is excessively touristy, for the most part the majority of bars and restaurants are subpar. It is just not nearly as attractive as properties close to the Plaza, Midtown, and Paseo all of which are nearby. The rent is also pretty crazy for this market for what you are getting. It just is not worth it if you are in a position where you are renting.
    It seems odd to say this considering it has many things to do. Movie Theater, Minor League Baseball, Canal, Bass Pro, Nightlife clubs, Comedy Club, and Many restaurants that I frequent often. It even has freaking putt-putt and a beef Jerky store. I think you just have a low opinion of what some people find very fun and exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    It seems odd to say this considering it has many things to do. Movie Theater, Minor League Baseball, Canal, Bass Pro, Nightlife clubs, Comedy Club, and Many restaurants that I frequent often. It even has freaking putt-putt and a beef Jerky store. I think you just have a low opinion of what some people find very fun and exciting.
    it is also the most visited by far ..

I can understand locals not liking Bricktown as much as other districts, but for those of us coming from out of town it has an undeniable draw. Lots to do, lots of restaurants, and the major reasons for visiting OKC (Arena, Criterion, Ballpark, etc.) are right there. If I lived in OKC I'm sure I'd spend more time in Plaza/Midtown/Paseo etc I'm sure.

As a resident, the constant busy-ness and disruptions from Bricktown traffic and events would get old, especially if you are paying a premium for a fancy place. There are so many developments around OKC that are quieter and just as nice, and OKC isn't so difficult to get around in that living close to nightlife and entertainment is that much of a plus. So I agree that the location isn't really a selling point.

Bricktown is a tourist trap, but that's ok. As long as they have Thunder games, conventions, the ballpark, concerts, etc. Its always going to be busy. But I am glad we now have other destinations coming up like Chisholm Creek, The Half, and OAK which will even out the playing field.

Blog Entries

You certainly have your opinion, but many many people will disagree. Your statement reminds me of a quote attributed to Yogi Berra when asked if he frequents a particular restaurant and he says (paraphrased) "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too busy". A lot of people like the proximity to the many things to do there, the variety of places to go, etc. Apparently you don't. It's good we have more variety these days so more people get to live where they want near to what they want to do.

As someone who lives in Steelyard, having the ability to live in and around nightlife and entertainment was the reason I chose it. Go ahead and drive to your entertainment - I'll walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    You certainly have your opinion, but many many people will disagree. Your statement reminds me of a quote attributed to Yogi Berra when asked if he frequents a particular restaurant and he says (paraphrased) "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too busy". A lot of people like the proximity to the many things to do there, the variety of places to go, etc. Apparently you don't. It's good we have more variety these days so more people get to live where they want near to what they want to do.
    I never said Bricktown was not busy. What I was implying is that the majority of locals to OKC proper want nothing to do with it. The majority of restaurants and entertainment venues in Bricktown proper are not OKC's best by any metric. Bricktown is not an attractive destination for most people to live. I have lived and worked in the CBD for years and anyone I have met that has lived at Steelyard is ecstatic the day their lease ends. Maybe you are more plugged in to the downtown community than I am. Right now, I am not buying what you're selling based on my own experience.

Bricktown was never meant to be designed for housing, or even mixed-use. It was simply imagined as an entertainment district., which exactly what it is. But to try and grade it now on housing options and a place to live is nonsensical, it was never meant to be a mixed-use development. That's why there are more hotels in Bricktown then apartments.

Bricktown should of been developed like Branson Landing in Branson. That is a true mixed use development. With loft/apartment housing sitting on top of retail and restaurants. Bordered by river/canal and hotels.

My partner and I regularly bash Bricktown for being toursity and bleh and agree Plaza, paseo, midtown, uptown etc. are for "us" the citizens of OKC, but then we find ourselves enjoying Bricktown and the amidites fairly frequently and we laugh about it lol. But I do think it is AWESOME, OKC has grown up so much we have a tourist district (that can and is enjoyed by the citizens of OKC as well). Bricktown IMO gets an unfair shake and tbh it is what it is but Im glad we have it and I can't imagine anyone who lives near Brictown doesn't enjoy what it has to offer.

22. Default Re: Steelyard

I never said Bricktown was not busy. What I was implying is that the majority of locals to OKC proper want nothing to do with it. The majority of restaurants and entertainment venues in Bricktown proper are not OKC's best by any metric. Bricktown is not an attractive destination for most people to live. I have lived and worked in the CBD for years and anyone I have met that has lived at Steelyard is ecstatic the day their lease ends. Maybe you are more plugged in to the downtown community than I am. Right now, I am not buying what you're selling based on my own experience.
    I have a co-worker that just moved from the Steelyard, but it wasn't because they hated it. It was because it is completely full and rarely sees vacancies. They are growing their family and needed more room and there was nothing available for them at Steelyard. That is one reason Steelyard is growing. They ended up moving to Park Harvey and are struggling with it right now. No parking nearby and if they do find parking they have to pay for it. They miss living in Bricktown and especially the Steelyard. For every person that hates Bricktown, there is probably 2 that loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Bricktown was never meant to be designed for housing, or even mixed-use. It was simply imagined as an entertainment district., which exactly what it is. But to try and grade it now on housing options and a place to live is nonsensical, it was never meant to be a mixed-use development. That's why there are more hotels in Bricktown then apartments.
    bricktown has been mixed use for 30 years

24. Default Re: Steelyard

just not well executed. But folks, that will change with Boardwalk and 'hopefully' the development of upper floors of existing stock.

Bricktown may not be for everyone, but I am positive that if those upper floors were a built out that they'd be full of residents. just need somebody to take the plunge.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    I have a co-worker that just moved from the Steelyard, but it wasn't because they hated it. It was because it is completely full and rarely sees vacancies. They are growing their family and needed more room and there was nothing available for them at Steelyard. That is one reason Steelyard is growing. They ended up moving to Park Harvey and are struggling with it right now. No parking nearby and if they do find parking they have to pay for it. They miss living in Bricktown and especially the Steelyard. For every person that hates Bricktown, there is probably 2 that loves it.
    They should have known that moving into Park Harvey. There is no included parking. You have to either pay for parking in a garage nearby and walk about a block or try to find street parking overnight.
    That is one downside to that place.

Thread Information