Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelyard

Default Re: East Bricktown Apartments & Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Might even be worth looking at a new name for Joe Carter, or having a very persuasive public discourse about why that is a good street name...
    I'm not sure why you would think that the street name might be open for discussion. Joe Carter is a native of OKC who was named to 5 baseball allstar teams. Having his name on a street near the ballpark is appropriate. Why would anyone want to change the name?

Yeah. I'm also confused. Joe Carter, who was a great player with one of the biggest homeruns in baseball history, is a very appropriate person to have this street named after:

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm not sure why you would think that the street name might be open for discussion. Joe Carter is a native of OKC who was named to 5 baseball allstar teams. Having his name on a street near the ballpark is appropriate. Why would anyone want to change the name?
    Obviously he's not a sports fanatic, LOL. I'm not even a baseball fan myself, but I'm well aware of Joe Carter.

I grew up playing baseball with Joe and not only is he a fantastic athlete, he's one of the nicest, most humble people you'll ever meet.

I can't believe anybody would want to remove his name from a city street.

Blog Entries

How about renaming it Spartan Avenue? ;-)

Might even be worth looking at a new name for Joe Carter, or having a very persuasive public discourse about why that is a good street name...
    Horrible idea. Joe Carter is a legend. Great baseball player. Being a Canadian, you should know that.

Great. So we've got alleys named after civil rights legends and a hometown band that made it huge, and we have what could potentially become an important frontage for a baseball star that only people who collect baseball cards remember.

Great. So we've got alleys named after civil rights legends and a hometown band that made it huge, and we have what could potentially become an important frontage for a baseball star that only people who collect baseball cards remember.
    I would question whether more people know the Flaming Lips than Joe Carter. I'm only 27, so it isn't an age thing for me.

So is this a street named after someone who is middle-aged right now? Correct me if I'm wrong, and not that I wish any baseball figures to be dead or anything horrible like that, but this almost seems even worse than some tacky naming ploys enacted by certain ag colleges...

Regardless of what an amazing baseball player that non-baseball folks have never heard of before, I just hate to see the city miss up on an opportunity to create an intersection with Oklahoma City Boulevard and Oklahoma City Avenue...

Yeah, let's just go ahead and change the names of Robinson, Classen & EK Gaylord. Those happen to be famous Oklahoma Citians too, just cause Carter's not in a box 6 feet deep doesn't mean he can't have a street named after him.

Spartan, there are clearly days when you post from your angry chair and today seems to be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Spartan, there are clearly days when you post from your angry chair and today seems to be one of them.
    This. I usually understand Spartan's points even if I don't agree. I think he's having a bad day. There are plenty of other streets that could be named after other people anyway. It's great that Joe Carter is recognized by his hometown.

Actually, I think the Flaming Lips PREFER a thoroughfare named after them be an alley! They are kind of quirky like that.......

Blog Entries

So is this a street named after someone who is middle-aged right now? Correct me if I'm wrong, and not that I wish any baseball figures to be dead or anything horrible like that, but this almost seems even worse than some tacky naming ploys enacted by certain ag colleges...
    Dude, you lost this point. Don't keep pressing. You are out on the end of the limb and sawing.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I think a road named "Sparta" would be cool. Just saying...

Hey, how about those new apartments eh? That is going to be some sweet action. Any word on whether or not any school is going to try to put dibs on any of the units for student housing? Does the federal money prohibit those kinds of deals?
    Would this road have nothing but curves and deadends.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Dude, you lost this point. Don't keep pressing. You are out on the end of the limb and sawing.
    +1

I'm not sure where Spartan was going with this part of the discussion but I am not in favor of naming any public object after anyone who hasn't been dead 50 years. I prefer names related to origin, function, location, or sequence. Of course, you might could make the arguement that 'Joe Carter' is location related - after all it is right next to a baseball stadium and he was a baseball player.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I'm not sure where Spartan was going with this part of the discussion but I am not in favor of naming any public object after anyone who hasn't been dead 50 years. I prefer names related to origin, function, location, or sequence. Of course, you might could make the arguement that 'Joe Carter' is location related - after all it is right next to a baseball stadium and he was a baseball player.
    There go the Reagan and Bush airports. I guess the Kennedy Center is gone too. And anything named after Martin Luther King that doesn't directly relate to civil rights is out.

Seems like naming a street after a sports legend that is by a stadium is appropriate in a state that is crazy about sports.....

My biggest problem with street naming is changing the name every few blocks. I don't like streets that have one name for part of them, and another a little ways away. If we name a street after someone, it should be the entire street, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    There go the Reagan and Bush airports. I guess the Kennedy Center is gone too. And anything named after Martin Luther King that doesn't directly relate to civil rights is out.
    That would be correct - let their achievements stand the test of time first.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    My biggest problem with street naming is changing the name every few blocks. I don't like streets that have one name for part of them, and another a little ways away. If we name a street after someone, it should be the entire street, IMO.
    Yep. The only time a street should change names is at a jurisdictional boundary.

OK. I admit I was off-base (no pun intended). Now, could someone please either remind me or chomp on me about who Russel M. Perry was? It's been a while since I read my copy of OKC Second Time Around, or studied my baseball cards...

Thread Information