Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Business Practices

Default Re: Devon Business Practices

You guys are cracking me up - as soon as I agree with one of you about the impact...you change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    One thing we do know for sure - employee parking is about to get much easier. Not sure who is going to use those 2 new garages.

Also, I agree that downtown won't see much impact as well since most of the Devon employees arrive by car, eat lunch inside the building, go to the gym inside the building, get medical care inside the building, and then drive home to Edmond at 5PM. It will have a high personal cost to a lot of people, but Edmond will see a bigger negative impact than downtown will.
    I've never met a Devon employee that didn't live in Edmond or Deer Creek, I would have to agree with everything you stated.... With exception they probably leave for lunch more than you think.

Tons of Devon employees live downtown and I know a bunch of them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    I've never met a Devon employee that didn't live in Edmond or Deer Creek, I would have to agree with everything you stated.... With exception they probably leave for lunch more than you think.
    There are tons of Devon employees living all over town. But people on here who are ignorant of facts tend to try to make caricatures of people and places to fit their skewed vision of reality. Certain New urbanists think Edmond is a universal rallying call to prove all things evil. If you can tag it Edmond it is a get out of jail card for reality. It is like the tea partiers saying any expose that isn't flattering is because if the "liberal media".

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    One thing we do know for sure - employee parking is about to get much easier. Not sure who is going to use those 2 new garages.

Also, I agree that downtown won't see much impact as well since most of the Devon employees arrive by car, eat lunch inside the building, go to the gym inside the building, get medical care inside the building, and then drive home to Edmond at 5PM. It will have a high personal cost to a lot of people, but Edmond will see a bigger negative impact than downtown will.
    Let's be honest, most people at Devon (or anywhere else) don't work out at all. We are not exactly a healthy state.

I've never met a Devon employee that didn't live in Edmond or Deer Creek.
    This is funny....and not funny at the same time. Neighbors on either side of me are both Devon employees. One is in some type of management, and the other is a "contractor" of sorts. I drink beer with one of them every now and again, out front watching the kids play...but am not particularly close friends with either one. I know that neither of their wives work...as they are stay at home mom kinda chicks...So, I would assume a large layoff could have some type of an impact on housing in the immediate area, but hoping that neither one are effected. (Not so much concerned for them...but for the welfare of home resale value in my area.)

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    Let's be honest, most people at Devon (or anywhere else) don't work out at all. We are not exactly a healthy state.
    "Toni Parks Payne, the fitness center’s director, says 85 percent of its on-site employees use the facility."

Companies Turn To "Wellness" Program To Reduce Health-Care Costs - Business Insider

Quote Originally Posted by OKCinsomniac View Post
    "Toni Parks Payne, the fitness center’s director, says 85 percent of its on-site employees use the facility."

Companies Turn To "Wellness" Program To Reduce Health-Care Costs - Business Insider
    Yeah I haven't been to "the well" one time that it wasn't packed to the walls. It was so busy that they added another small facility in the Corporate Tower and some employees go to the YMCA or Park Harvey (though I think it was converted to an apartment only facility recently) to avoid the crowds.

I can honestly say that I do not know of a single family (or individual) that works for Devon, and lives in any of the surrounding suburbs. They all live "inner-city," Linwood Place, Heritage Hills, Mesta, Crown Heights, Edgemere, etc. FWIW, I'm 30, and the majority of those individuals are around the same age. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by LandThieves View Post
    I can honestly say that I do not know of a single family (or individual) that works for Devon, and lives in any of the surrounding suburbs. They all live "inner-city," Linwood Place, Heritage Hills, Mesta, Crown Heights, Edgemere, etc. FWIW, I'm 30, and the majority of those individuals are around the same age. Just my .02
    I personally know a few who live in Yukon. But not many.

To sum up the last 2 pages, Devon has over 3,200 people, some live in the core and some live in the suburbs.

HangryHippo Guest

I know some that live in Del City and Midwest City that are early 30s.

By no means was I implying "nobody that works at Devon lives outside of the City," I was just providing my perspective. That is, the "young professionals" I associate with on a weekly basis, who happen to work for the company, live inner city. That's all.

Edit: Re-read that, and I wanted to make sure it didn't come off as "abrasive" in the least bit. Just to clear any doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Park Harvey (though I think it was converted to an apartment only facility recently) to avoid the crowds.
    Park Harvey was closed as of 9/30 I thought

By no means was I implying "nobody that works at Devon lives outside of the City," I was just providing my perspective. That is, the "young professionals" I associate with on a weekly basis, who happen to work for the company, live inner city. That's all.

Edit: Re-read that, and I wanted to make sure it didn't come off as "abrasive" in the least bit. Just to clear any doubt.
    Interesting for sure. As the "young professionals" that I know, who also happen to work for the company, also live where they live..and they also work where they work. We should probably get some kind of a chart, so we can chart this.

^ got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    This is funny....and not funny at the same time. Neighbors on either side of me are both Devon employees. One is in some type of management, and the other is a "contractor" of sorts. I drink beer with one of them every now and again, out front watching the kids play...but am not particularly close friends with either one. I know that neither of their wives work...as they are stay at home mom kinda chicks...So, I would assume a large layoff could have some type of an impact on housing in the immediate area, but hoping that neither one are effected. (Not so much concerned for them...but for the welfare of home resale value in my area.)
    So you live in Edmond or Deer Creek?

So you live in Edmond or Deer Creek?
    Are you even authorized?

Because its a tough question to answer...and the lines are often blurry. As Deer Creek isn't a city, moreso a school district/boundary line drawn on a map, however I do live within those boundary lines, and my postal code is Edmond, OK 73013. So, I guess my answer would be maybe?

Do we know of any layoffs occurring as of yet?

^

They have been doing a small amount for a while but the biggies are still coming.

They said would be complete by end of 1st Quarter, so that only leaves two months.

As far as where you live. If you don't live in the City limits of Edmond or Oklahoma City, then you live in unincorporated Oklahoma County. That is where I live. Just because you are in Edmond School district or (Deer Creek), have an Edmond phone number or zip code, you still don't l live in Edmond. Sorry. That's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    As far as where you live. If you don't live in the City limits of Edmond or Oklahoma City, then you live in unincorporated Oklahoma County. That is where I live. Just because you are in Edmond School district or (Deer Creek), have an Edmond phone number or zip code, you still don't l live in Edmond. Sorry. That's just the way it is.
    Do you have electricity, and/or running water?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

They have been doing a small amount for a while but the biggies are still coming.

They said would be complete by end of 1st Quarter, so that only leaves two months.
    Is it 1st quarter calendar or fiscal quarter that could differ?

Is it 1st quarter calendar or fiscal quarter that could differ?
    i'm hearing this week or next.

20-30% of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    i'm hearing this week or next.

20-30% of OKC
    Heard the same thing yesterday.

Thread Information