Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Business Practices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Devon Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    If losing 1,400 jobs won't have a big negative impact why does the City and State offer millions, and sometimes hundreds of millions, in incentives to attract 1,400 jobs? Look how much the City spent on just 150 jobs for GE.
    That is so super simplistic it is amazing.

Where has the city spent hundreds of millions to attract 1,400 jobs?

Devon may shrink a bit now, but will regain employees and grow again. I know you may be disappointed that the energy business is resilient, but it is. It has shrunk and grown over and over. You always pick just the time frames that suit your agenda.

You guys are cracking me up - as soon as I agree with one of you about the impact...you change your mind.

Tons of Devon employees live downtown and I know a bunch of them.

I can honestly say that I do not know of a single family (or individual) that works for Devon, and lives in any of the surrounding suburbs. They all live "inner-city," Linwood Place, Heritage Hills, Mesta, Crown Heights, Edgemere, etc. FWIW, I'm 30, and the majority of those individuals are around the same age. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by LandThieves View Post
    I can honestly say that I do not know of a single family (or individual) that works for Devon, and lives in any of the surrounding suburbs. They all live "inner-city," Linwood Place, Heritage Hills, Mesta, Crown Heights, Edgemere, etc. FWIW, I'm 30, and the majority of those individuals are around the same age. Just my .02
    I personally know a few who live in Yukon. But not many.

HangryHippo Guest

I know some that live in Del City and Midwest City that are early 30s.

To sum up the last 2 pages, Devon has over 3,200 people, some live in the core and some live in the suburbs.

By no means was I implying "nobody that works at Devon lives outside of the City," I was just providing my perspective. That is, the "young professionals" I associate with on a weekly basis, who happen to work for the company, live inner city. That's all.

Edit: Re-read that, and I wanted to make sure it didn't come off as "abrasive" in the least bit. Just to clear any doubt.

By no means was I implying "nobody that works at Devon lives outside of the City," I was just providing my perspective. That is, the "young professionals" I associate with on a weekly basis, who happen to work for the company, live inner city. That's all.

Edit: Re-read that, and I wanted to make sure it didn't come off as "abrasive" in the least bit. Just to clear any doubt.
    Interesting for sure. As the "young professionals" that I know, who also happen to work for the company, also live where they live..and they also work where they work. We should probably get some kind of a chart, so we can chart this.

^ got it.

Do we know of any layoffs occurring as of yet?

^

They have been doing a small amount for a while but the biggies are still coming.

They said would be complete by end of 1st Quarter, so that only leaves two months.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

They have been doing a small amount for a while but the biggies are still coming.

They said would be complete by end of 1st Quarter, so that only leaves two months.
    Is it 1st quarter calendar or fiscal quarter that could differ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Is it 1st quarter calendar or fiscal quarter that could differ?
    i'm hearing this week or next.

20-30% of OKC

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    i'm hearing this week or next.

20-30% of OKC
    Heard the same thing yesterday.

As far as where you live. If you don't live in the City limits of Edmond or Oklahoma City, then you live in unincorporated Oklahoma County. That is where I live. Just because you are in Edmond School district or (Deer Creek), have an Edmond phone number or zip code, you still don't l live in Edmond. Sorry. That's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    As far as where you live. If you don't live in the City limits of Edmond or Oklahoma City, then you live in unincorporated Oklahoma County. That is where I live. Just because you are in Edmond School district or (Deer Creek), have an Edmond phone number or zip code, you still don't l live in Edmond. Sorry. That's just the way it is.
    Do you have electricity, and/or running water?

Any updates on the layoffs at Devon? I have heard HR and IT today? ...

I've heard that today is the day. Buckle your seat belts, folks.

Yes, I have a friend in a field office. They're all nervously awaiting the budget announcement today.

Buckle up!

Employees telling me an official email went out today saying tomorrow will be layoff day for supervisors and above; everyone else will be Thursday.

Good luck to everyone at Devon. I've been in this position a few times and it really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Employees telling me an official email went out today saying tomorrow will be layoff day for supervisors and above; everyone else will be Thursday.

Good luck to everyone at Devon. I've been in this position a few times and it really sucks.
    News OK confirmed this as well....

Oklahomans are resilient, go out and do something bigger and better.

I honestly can't imagine this type of job instability -- knowing you could be axed tomorrow through no fault of your own. Good luck to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I honestly can't imagine this type of job instability -- knowing you could be axed tomorrow through no fault of your own. Good luck to everyone.
    I have been through it in 2008. It's not fun, especially as you can sense layoffs getting closer. The day I was finally laid off it was actually a relief after the month-long build up.

Thread Information