Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Louie's

Default Re: Louie's coming to Edmond

What surprised me is that there is a sign that says something about wine and liquor coming soon - but I would think that shopping center would be too close to washington Irving elementary to house a liquor store - I know there is a limit out how close they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Yes, because we all know bottom feeders live in apartments...
    Cuatro,

When the apartments were first proposed to the Planning Commission, they were considered a basic no-frills, no-amenities complex (no laundry facilities, exercise room, etc.), with multiple 3-story buildings and several units facing directly over the school and play areas of the adjacent elementary school. Historically, complexes like this tend to turn into HUD properties pretty darn quickly, with a corresponding increase in crime.

The surrounding neighborhoods fought this fervently and considerations were made to the level of amenities availalble as well as aesthetic considerations of the apartments. As someone who lives a few blocks away, I'm still not a fan, but have to take it as it comes. That's what I get for moving into an area where there is a great deal of unestablished land.

Am excited to read about the potential for the shopping space. My SO and I keep wondering which side of the development Louie's will move into.

We've already utilized the great sidewalks to go to the video store and Subway, so are now looking forward to being able to walk here, as well.

Just wish the REALLY nice development at 150th and Western would get some takers. It's really been the victim of construction along Western as well as the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus
    maybe they are waiting for the apartments to finish so they'll have customers - seems like they've been mostly done and all empty for awhile (the shops that is)
    There are PLENTY of surrounding single-family housing developments in the immediate vicinity, as well as a retirement home and about 6 or so churches within a mile of there. Not sure they are holding out for a few apartments.

3. Default Re: Louie's coming to Edmond

Fritter has a point. I'm not one to say all apartments are bad. But some are designed to be bad. Sorry, but I've seen time and again where renters are not invested in their neighborhood, and if the property owner doesn't do anything special with the apartments, they quickly go bad.
    I remember when the area at Hefner at Western was a good, middle class neighborhood. But the apartments went without any improvements, and eventually went low rent, then Section 8.
    I had close friends who once lived in that neighborhood. No more.
    Now I dare you to drive a nice car or SUV to that 7-Eleven and not get held up at gunpoint. It's gang-banger central.
    What was especially concerning was that a Realtor trying to drum up business sent a flyer out to everybody living in neighborhoods around NW 178 and Western advising them to sell their homes before the apartment complex was built, thus plunging their home values.
    Nice.
    This is why I'm always intrigued by the idea that a property owner has the right to do whatever they wish with their land. But what about the rights of their neighbors to enjoy a peaceful existance without drug dealers next door? Yeah, there's a lot of NIMBY going on here. And one can look at The Gables and some other older apartment complexes around town as examples of good property owners who haven't damaged surrounding areas with multi-family housing.
    Final note: In all my years covering the city, I can't remember a single time when council members approved any multi-family projects of any quality next to their homes.

4. Default Re: Louie's coming to Edmond

Fritter, I know the footprint of the complex was changed - did they upgrade the apts as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Fritter, I know the footprint of the complex was changed - did they upgrade the apts as well?
    As I recall, the original plans, as proposed to the Planning Commission, had more siding. I attended one of the early PC meetings when the adjoining neighborhoods first started protesting (before I started working for my current employer *ahem*). I believe the PC asked the developer to make several concessions to the plans, including increasing the brick:siding ratio (I think they have to be 2/3 brick), and including at least a laundry facility as an on-site amenity. I think they are also being required to build a brick wall along the north side of the complex to create a sight/noise barrier between the apartments and the school. I haven't really been able to check out the north side of the complex to see if they've done this or not. There may have been additional concessions, but that was about 2 years ago, so I don't remember all of the details.

I won't go into some of the "tactics" Sooner Traditions tried to pull with regard to the surrounding HOAs. I'll simply say I have NO respect for this company, regardless of who owns it.

Ironically, (again - IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY) ST tried to purchase property just inside the Edmond limits to build a similar complex and another of Barry Switzer's "Sports Locker" storage facilities. They were refused outright, which is why they've taken over the N. Western corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    What was especially concerning was that a Realtor trying to drum up business sent a flyer out to everybody living in neighborhoods around NW 178 and Western advising them to sell their homes before the apartment complex was built, thus plunging their home values. Nice.
    We got one of these, too, and had been in our home less than a year.

6. Default Re: Louie's coming to Edmond

I called my councilman to inform him of the flyer and sent him a copy of it.

7. Default Re: Louie's coming to Edmond

Council tomorrow will consider an ABC-2 zoning for a sushi bar restaurant on the shopping center's east corner.

Thanks for the update.

Please pass along anything else you hear.

I never could quite understand why people would get excited about yet another generic casual dining restaurant coming to Edmond...

From an out-of-towner - what is Louies?

11. Default Re: Louie's coming to Edmond

Part of a local chain run by the Hal Smith Group. Casual restaurant and bar theme.

I only go to Louie's on the lake. Not impressed with the others at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post

I like the one's with cigar bar attached. Norman [west side], OKC [southside].

Southside and new Moore has great bartenders. Lake Louies and Norman [westside] has hot waitress'.

Haven't been to the Norman one, but I live in Edmond... prob never will make it down there

Quote Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
    i haven't been to the new one in Moore, but I hate the one on south western on the southside. It's really dark in there, and very noisy (there were a lot of little kids there when I went - little kids whose parents weren't keeping them under control)

Construction is coming along in the Louie's space.

You can see the 'order up' window framed and drywalled when driving by...

Which space will they be in?
    The southwest end?
    That's the only area I've seen activity in lately.

Quote Originally Posted by C. B. View Post
    Which space will they be in?
    The southwest end?
    That's the only area I've seen activity in lately.
    Yep.

Was pretty obvious early on in the construction, due to the supports put in for the typical 'Louie's' sign on the corner...

Part of a local chain run by the Hal Smith Group. Casual restaurant and bar theme.
    Must be the same Louie's recently opened in downtown Stillwater.

I saw their sign up. I hope they open soon. I would love to try this place out.

When is the new Edmond Louie's going to open?

I haven't heard. Signage is up and they are working on interiors. Haven't heard of an opening date. My guess is Feb or early March!

23. Default Re: Louie's coming to Edmond

Has anyone heard whether Panera Bread is opening there?

I've hear "rumors" to that effect (maybe from one of your earlier posts), but nothing concrete.

Noticed that there is a NOW HIRING sign outside of Louie's this morning. If they're that close, I would surmise opening within 3-4 weeks.

We'll then have a Louie's, the nail place, and a Liquor store. Add that to the Family Video, Subway and China House across the street and the intersection is STARTING to take shape. We're just excited that there are places where we can walk.

The NE corner of the strip looks to be a restaurant of some sort, but not sure about Panera. I'd almost think a Panera would do better business/fit in more in the vacant, but beautiful new center @ Western & 150th.

Thread Information