Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Von Maur

Default Re: Sears store at Quail Springs sold to General Growth

Perhaps it's because of my long day, perhaps I'm just dyslexic, but does that mean Von Maur is for sure, definitely, no doubt coming to QS?

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    Perhaps it's because of my long day, perhaps I'm just dyslexic, but does that mean Von Maur is for sure, definitely, no doubt coming to QS?
    That means that OKC has offered them an incentive but it's not final yet. I'd say it's almost a done deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That means that OKC has offered them an incentive but it's not final yet. I'd say it's almost a done deal though.
    Thanks lj.

Isn't today the day whether or not they are deciding to put Von Maur in Quail?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Isn't today the day whether or not they are deciding to put Von Maur in Quail?
    Let's hope this happens or it's going to be very bad for Quail Springs. I can't think of another anchor that would be willing to locate in OKC that could take the Sears spot.

I don't see why Von Maur would pass this up though. They have stores in markets much smaller than ours like Wichita and they seem to do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Let's hope this happens or it's going to be very bad for Quail Springs. I can't think of another anchor that would be willing to locate in OKC that could take the Sears spot.

I don't see why Von Maur would pass this up though. They have stores in markets much smaller than ours like Wichita and they seem to do fine.
    If VOn Maur doesen't happen how about Beall's or Neiman-Marcus?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    If VOn Maur doesen't happen how about Beall's or Neiman-Marcus?
    Neiman Marcus is a pipe dream in OKC. I would say there is maybe a 1% chance at tops of it happening in the next decade. I am not familiar with Beall's.

I hate this kind of government handout for retail. This was all unheard of before our huge giveaway to Bass Pro. It opens up a can of worms, as in if we can give a couple of million in tax breaks for a new store, in this case, Van Mauer, where's the tax break to KEEP their competition in operation in Oklahoma City? If every new operation that wants to come to OKC knows they can get sweetheart deals, they will surely be asking for them. Whole Foods went through a private sweetheart, Von Mauer goes to the taxpayers. Who's next? Step right up. Ah, you just gotta love the free market, except when it's not anything of the sort. Yet, they'll say they're conservatives downtown.

The link says it scheduled opening is December 31, 2014. That seems to be a long time to renovate the space and get the store opened? Alot can happen between now and December 2014. Almost 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I hate this kind of government handout for retail. This was all unheard of before our huge giveaway to Bass Pro. It opens up a can of worms, as in if we can give a couple of million in tax breaks for a new store, in this case, Van Mauer, where's the tax break to KEEP their competition in operation in Oklahoma City? If every new operation that wants to come to OKC knows they can get sweetheart deals, they will surely be asking for them. Whole Foods went through a private sweetheart, Von Mauer goes to the taxpayers. Who's next? Step right up. Ah, you just gotta love the free market, except when it's not anything of the sort. Yet, they'll say they're conservatives downtown.
    Why would you consider retail government incentives to be worse than others? It will provide employment, sales tax, and will help keep a major retail center viable. The comparison to Bass Pro isn't valid. The is not an OKC phenomenon. It happens everywhere. And, if they are anywhere near as successful as Whole Foods has been, it will encourage other more upscale retailors to give us more serious consideration. It is a very good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    The link says it scheduled opening is December 31, 2014. That seems to be a long time to renovate the space and get the store opened? Alot can happen between now and December 2014. Almost 2 years?
    That seemed weird to me to. I wonder if that's accurate or if they meant 2013? I would think it would only take six months to renovate a store once they started. If its 2014 than they obviously don't plan to start renovations anytime soon.

Why would you consider retail government incentives to be worse than others? It will provide employment, sales tax, and will help keep a major retail center viable. The comparison to Bass Pro isn't valid. The is not an OKC phenomenon. It happens everywhere. And, if they are anywhere near as successful as Whole Foods has been, it will encourage other more upscale retailors to give us more serious consideration. It is a very good investment.
    This! So this!

You missed the point and I don't have the energy tonight to explain it.

Read this Ban on Tax Incentives for Retail Development ? Arizona | Institute for Local Self-Reliance

The question is not whether it will or won't bring in retail business, sure it will because everybody loves giveaways. The question is the competitive disadvantage it puts locally owned businesses in. Don't they have every reason to ask why the taxpayers are asked to fund the move of a competitor into the city, but the company who has always called Oklahoma City home pays the full ride? This seems so basic. States are outlawing this kind of bribery (see link).

You missed the point and I don't have the energy tonight to explain it.
    I didn't miss the point at all because your point was not valid. Bringing in a business like Von Maur does nothing to curtail retail competition. It only enhances it and gives our city more options. It is a very good investment. There are large companies that could move into OKC in competion to where I work but I would have no concerns about that at all. If you are giving the consumers a desired product at a good price it won't matter.

I'm about 50 years past being a school boy so you can save your smarmy comments on me.

I didn't miss the point at all because your point was not valid. Bringing in a business like Von Maur does nothing to curtail retail competition. It only enhances it and gives our city more options. It is a very good investment. There are large companies that could move into OKC in competion to where I work but I would have no concerns about that at all. If you are giving the consumers a desired product at a good price it won't matter.
    It's one thing to disagree, it's another to be so intellectually dishonest to say my point is "not valid." Did you read the links I posted? There is logic in my point of view, you may disagree with it, but you can't honestly say it's not an honest and valid argument.

The fact that one company opposes that being used to assist companies in direct competition isn't suprising. Academy wasn't pleased with the Bass Pro incentives in OKC but they seem to still be in business and doing well. The one near me always has a large crowd in the parking lot.

Well this settles everything. If Arizona has a law against something that is the defining standard for the rest of the country. After all, they gave us the wonderful governor Jan Brewer and sheriff Joe Arpaio who exemplify the standards that the rest of the country should live by.

Well this settles everything. If Arizona has a law against something that is the defining standard for the rest of the country. After all, they gave us the wonderful governor Jan Brewer and sheriff Joe Arpaio who exemplify the standards that the rest of the country should live by.
    I didn't say it settled everything. It was a link that argued my point. That Jan Brewer and Sheriff Joe are in the same state says nothing, in fact _that's_ the point that's not valid.

I didn't say it settled everything. It was a link that argued my point. That Jan Brewer and Sheriff Joe are in the same state says nothing, in fact _that's_ the point that's not valid.
    Obviously you don't understand hyperbole, LOL. And the fact that Jan Brewer and Sheriff Joe are in the same state are, indeed, very telling. Your original point still has no validity.

Newsok.com reporting that the Von Maur store is confirmed, due to to open in Spring 2014

Sorry, it said Fall of 2014

Blog Entries

LOL. All these web links are great. Because if it is on the internet it must be true. And all these groups are intellectually honest...or at least their names sound like it.

Thread Information