Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Von Maur

Default Re: Von Maur

Here are some random Nordstrom interior photos I've found on the Internet.

Now of course there are some newer Nordstrom stores that have a different look that is more similar to Neiman Marcus, but a majority of the ones I am familiar with look like the shots above. I think people are really over-reacting in regards to the dated appearance of Von Maur.

I was just in Von Maur a few hours ago and found it to be a most positive shopping experience. Yes, I definately will compare them to the likes of Nordstrom. They carry mid level as well as high end merchandise. The staff here are way more professional and attentive than those of Macy's and Dillards by far. As far as the decor, it is a perfect blend of several styles that actually works for them. It is modern, yet classic...it actually makes you want to shop there. I will admit that Von Maur is not the store for "everyone", as they do cater to a certain niche in each market they are in, but so do all the others like JCP, Neimans, Saks, etc... All in all, this store is a win for QSM and the OKC market.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyokc View Post
    I was just in Von Maur a few hours ago and found it to be a most positive shopping experience. Yes, I definately will compare them to the likes of Nordstrom. They carry mid level as well as high end merchandise. The staff here are way more professional and attentive than those of Macy's and Dillards by far. As far as the decor, it is a perfect blend of several styles that actually works for them. It is modern, yet classic...it actually makes you want to shop there. I will admit that Von Maur is not the store for "everyone", as they do cater to a certain niche in each market they are in, but so do all the others like JCP, Neimans, Saks, etc... All in all, this store is a win for QSM and the OKC market.
    +1

Ya pictures aren't doing it justice. It's a really nice looking store. The classic decor looks super outdated in pictures, but actually works really well in person. The layout, atmosphere, and staff definitely have a Nordstrom feel. The merchandise, however, is very VERY niche. Macy's, JCP, and even Nordstrom have a much more diverse product line. I will probably never shop there, but I think it does the job of raising the bar at Quail.

It's a nice store, but it's not a neiman marcus or new saks. It's a Midwestern brand, family owned store. I liked it overall, they had a decent selection, from lower/mid tired brands to some really nice higher end stuff. Their mens shoe selection could use some work. My wife liked the women's department, thought they had a good variety. We both bought stuff, I picked up some Brooks Brothers shirts, it's nice to have a place selling their mainline stuff here. I like it, it's probably going to be my go-to for in person, even though I do the bulk of my shopping online.

We went to Dillard's after VM and it was incredibly bleak and awful by comparison. Quail springs isn't going to be Tyson's Corner anytime soon, but VM might shame the others into updating.

Also. A plus is their credit card, which is apparently interest-free. You just have a a 6 month pmt period or something. Seemed friendlier than most.

I went to Von Maur on Friday night and thought it was a very nice store. I had some issues getting used to their layout in men's sportswear, but overall I was very impressed. I almost bought a shirt but decided against it because the sleeves were too baggy on my arms. The shirt would have been a perfect fit, otherwise. I will definitely return there periodically, to see their new merchandise and perhaps eventually purchase a sale item that fits my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    OK.... I make 5+ trips a month to Dallas specifically to go to Nordstroms at the Galleria, and I stick by my comment. This store is of the same quality as Nordstroms.
    Plu, I don't know if you are bored to tears, have waaaay too much free time on your hands, or perhaps should simply consider developing some planning skills.
    Five trips or more a month just to shop at a specific store 200 miles away? Sheesh, even if it were a local shop, that's a lot of shipping unless you are a personal buyer for a few different folk, and even then, more than once a week? I can barely wrap my head around the notion.

8. Default Re: Von Maur

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Plu, I don't know if you are bored to tears, have waaaay too much free time on your hands, or perhaps should simply consider developing some planning skills.
    Five trips or more a month just to shop at a specific store 200 miles away? Sheesh, even if it were a local shop, that's a lot of shipping unless you are a personal buyer for a few different folk, and even then, more than once a week? I can barely wrap my head around the notion.
    I agree. Seems a bit ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyokc View Post
    One very fair comparison to Nordies is the VM customer service.

They hire almost exclusively full-time employees (with only a small number of part-timers during the holiday crush), offer free gift wrapping, etc.

I can assure you that service is what makes Nordstrom great, at least for me. Especially here in California, they don't carry anything I can't get elsewhere; I go for the personal service.

That Von Maur even approaches that level completely separates it from places like Dillards and Macys.

We went last night. As we walked in the door my husband looked at me and said "it looks just like Nordstrom". All in all we liked it although we didn't buy anything. It was just a trip to check it out. I saw lots of brands available at Dillard's but you will never get their kind of service at Dillard's. We also overheard a sales associate in the men's department explaining to a customer how even though they may sell some of the same brands as Dillard's they exclusive rights in Oklahoma for certain styles that are only availbe at Their stores, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. I know he mentioned Tommy Bahama but I can't recall the other brands he mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    We went last night. As we walked in the door my husband looked at me and said "it looks just like Nordstrom". All in all we liked it although we didn't buy anything. It was just a trip to check it out. I saw lots of brands available at Dillard's but you will never get their kind of service at Dillard's. We also overheard a sales associate in the men's department explaining to a customer how even though they may sell some of the same brands as Dillard's they exclusive rights in Oklahoma for certain styles that are only availbe at Their stores, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. I know he mentioned Tommy Bahama but I can't recall the other brands he mentioned.
    They sell bahama at macys. They did seem to have the better Polo stuff, they carry main line Brooks Brothers, which is great, and some better mid-level suiting. Basically, slightly better than Dillard's, with a much nicer decor. Not quite Mr Ooleys, but not that tier of prices.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I eat at Pappadeaux when I'm down there. Does that help?

The 5 times a month thing isn't exact, but about average. I also have friends and family I see on occasion.

Wife went. Was impressed. Not quite Nordstrums but not too far from the mark. The stuff they brought home was impressively gift wrapped. I'm now down with going over there and giving it a shot.

I went on Friday. I found it to be very expensive. I was looking for work clothes. $80 for a polo shirt is crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    I went on Friday. I found it to be very expensive. I was looking for work clothes. $80 for a polo shirt is crazy!
    It's not Sears.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    It's not Sears.
    Agree with you. This is the one things that irks me the most about some OKC residents, they want nice, upscale restaurants, clothing and entertainment options available in larger cities and then complain about the cost. No wonder high end retailers avoid OKC

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Agree with you. This is the one things that irks me the most about some OKC residents, they want nice, upscale restaurants, clothing and entertainment options available in larger cities and then complain about the cost. No wonder high end retailers avoid OKC
    I honestly had no idea that it would be that expensive. I just do not have the income to afford clothes of that price. I know some do, and I hope they shop there. It is a nice store.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    You could throw "housing" into this list as well.

Blog Entries

Was in NYC a couple of weeks ago. Went to Barneys. Wanted to get a work shirt, but the one I wanted was $420. Go figure.

People in OKC have a hard time grasping what it means to have and support more upscale products and retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Was in NYC a couple of weeks ago. Went to Barneys. Wanted to get a work shirt, but the one I wanted was $420. Go figure.

People in OKC have a hard time grasping what it means to have and support more upscale products and retailers.
    What cities the size of OKC can support the super high-end department stores like Barneys, Neiman Marcus, or Bloomingdales? Nordstrom and Saks yes but supporting the super high-end retailers isn't easy in a city this size. I do think OKC lags its peers in this area but ultimately high-end retail is sustained by the sales volume, not the budget-conscious people complaining its too expensive. Lets see what kind of business Von Maur does. If it does well, that may be a sign that OKC really is ready for higher-end retail.

$80 for a Polo is not bad, and in line with what I paid for similar clothing at the Dillards Penn Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

There are plenty of expensive, high-retailers in OKC: Balliet's and Mr. Ooley's, for example, carry very nice and expensive lines. Plenty of other other high-end men's and women's stores in OKC.

Chain department stores are not the only ones that sell expensive items.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    One very fair comparison to Nordies is the VM customer service.

They hire almost exclusively full-time employees (with only a small number of part-timers during the holiday crush), offer free gift wrapping, etc.

I can assure you that service is what makes Nordstrom great, at least for me. Especially here in California, they don't carry anything I can't get elsewhere; I go for the personal service.

That Von Maur even approaches that level completely separates it from places like Dillards and Macys.
    The service and credit card is what got my wife going there when we lived in IL, they train their sales folks very well, no other store that large that we've been in has that kind of service (no, we don't go to Nordstrom's, so we don't know what theirs is like).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    The merchandise, however, is very VERY niche. Macy's, JCP, and even Nordstrom have a much more diverse product line. I will probably never shop there, but I think it does the job of raising the bar at Quail.
    Can you explain this comment? I haven't been yet...but have seen others make similar comments. What makes the products they are offering "VERY" niche?

25. Default Re: Von Maur

You have to be over 70 to buy them?

Thread Information